What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin side 2010

watatank

Coach
If a player got injured in 1,6,7,9 I'd rather Hornby were there to replace them than Gidley. It would be a more seamless transition with him there because he's very adaptable, doesn't overplay his hand and will always do what is best for the team. The team dynamic would change with Gidley there...and that's not what you want from a fill in. He is more likely to get in everyone's way, run the ball himself and try to do something on his own instead of working to whatever the original plan was.

In saying all that I wouldn't have either playing Origin

Fordy20

Juniors
1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Chris Lawrence
5. Eric Grothe Jnr
6. Todd Carney
7. Brett Kimmorley / Mitchell Pearce
8. Luke Douglas
9. Robbie Farah
10. Michael Weyman
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Anthony Watmough
13. Paul Gallen

14. Keith Galloway
15. Justin Poore
16. Luke O'Donnell
17. Luke Lewis

andrew057

First Grade
1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Chris Lawrence
5. Eric Grothe Jnr
6. Todd Carney
7. Brett Kimmorley / Mitchell Pearce
8. Luke Douglas
9. Robbie Farah
10. Michael Weyman
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Anthony Watmough
13. Paul Gallen

14. Keith Galloway
15. Justin Poore
16. Luke O'Donnell
17. Luke Lewis

Good looking team.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Gids trying too hard has def mired his rep career. He is used to taking liberties when playing for the Knights but that style hasn't translated well at Origin level. The captaincy and some underwhelming performances by the Blues halves/hooker really brought out this in him. No surprises his best game came in game 3 last year where they had a dominant halfback and a competant hooker (yes, I do realize that both Wallace and Farah were under injury clouds at the time)

I don't know if the Blues need that type of player off the bench, it will depend on the make up of the rest of the side, but anyone doubting his enthusiasm or ability need to take a 2nd look at his club form.

At this stage I doubt Id have him in my team at all as personally I think starting Ennis at hooker and putting Farah on the bench would be far more effective against the likely Qld line up

Panther_Daz

Staff member
To be honest i don't know why Lewis is in all this utility talk. Over the last 2 seasons he has been one of the best players in the game playing Lock. He lead the Dally M's last year before being injured. If his form continues until Origin there is no reason why he shouldn't be picked at lock and play 80 minutes.

adamkungl

Immortal
To be honest i don't know why Lewis is in all this utility talk. Over the last 2 seasons he has been one of the best players in the game playing Lock. He lead the Dally M's last year before being injured. If his form continues until Origin there is no reason why he shouldn't be picked at lock and play 80 minutes.

Imo if Greg Bird is any sort of decent form he will be the lock.

watatank

Coach
Why does NSW need a utility? It's important to have balance but it's more important that we have players not wasting space. They should be thinking about doing everything to win not thinking about what happens if a random player gets injured.

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah, I don't see the need for a real utility. Craig Wing was brilliant - none of the current 'utilities' going around come close.

watatank

Coach
The main reason he was brilliant was his ability as a dummy half. The rest was a bonus. NSW could continue this on by selecting a hooker off the bench and picking a versatile forward like Lewis, Bird or Creagh. Maybe even all three.

perverse

Referee
i think theres a difference between an impact player and a utility. craig wing just happened to be both rolled into one.

we should be looking at someone like farah, soward, mullen or someone else with some creativity... and preferably someone who can take on the line and ask questions if that's the direction we want to take (impact over utility).

mateo would also be a good candidate.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Playing two dummy halves would be the way I would go too

1. Hayne
2. B.Morris
3. Cooper
4. Lawrence
5. Jennings
6. Carney
7. Pearce/Wallace
8. Weyman
9. Ennis
10. Cross
11. Watmough
12. Creagh
13. Gallen

14. Farah
15. Poore
16. Lewis
17. *Pick another prop*

Dutchy

Immortal
This is the team I wrote on a coaster when drunk on Friday night.

Hayne
Tahu
Jennings
Lawrence
Dragons Morris
Mullen
Pearce
Weyman
Ennis
Douglas
Watmough
Hindmarsh
Lewis

Hornby
Gallen
Snowden
Galloway

Last edited:

petetheileet

First Grade
People putting Josh Morris on the wing seriously make me laugh at the total lack of knowledge of the young kids game!!!

he is quite possibly the worst, most nervous, uncomfortable winger i have ever seen, positionally awful, hands like feet, totally out of his element.

He is a centre

If you dont know that by now, you really dont know much

petetheileet

First Grade
If Carney was still going dynamite at FB would people consider this...

1. Carney
2. B Morris
3. Hayne
4. Lawrence (maybe swap Jennings/Lawrence in attack)
5. Jennings
6. Soward
7. Pearce

Gta be one of the quickest 3/4 lines in history

there is points in that backline thats for sure

The ridiculous thing is with all this talent available to us the selectors will still find a way to screw it up.

IMO it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to pick a backline like this then just pick the biggest baddest pack of forwards they could find to bash them and out muscle them.

Weyman
Watmough
Odonnell
Gallen

etc..

Then have Lewis on the bench as a utility in case someone in the backline goes down.

adamkungl

Immortal
If Carney was still going dynamite at FB would people consider this...

1. Carney
2. B Morris
3. Hayne
4. Lawrence (maybe swap Jennings/Lawrence in attack)
5. Jennings
6. Soward
7. Pearce

wtf....u have Hayne in the centres and Jennings on the wing?

petetheileet

First Grade
based around Carney at FB if he kills it and Jennings could be in the centres in attack with Lawrence defending Inglis

I like the idea of a ball playing/linking FB

Hayne is a ball runner, what would he do different to Inglis in the centres

Another thought

If it goes Creagh and Morris on the Left, would it not make sense to have Morris or Cooper in between them??