What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin side 2010

mrblue

Juniors
Being an eels supporter I'm going to be bias here and say Hayne deserves a shot at fullback before Dugan. I think he has earned the right to play in his preferred position on the basis of last years origin performance. I also think that playing on the wing for Australia is actually harming his chances since he has less opportunity to impress (at FB) in rep matches. Stat-wise hayne still leads Dugan in average meters and combined tries/try assist even though he has been playing well below his best.

I'm honestly not trying to be biased, but Dugan HAS to be fullback after tonight's performance.

He is in much, much, much, much, much better form that Hayne and Gidley it's not funny.

1. Dugan
2. Hayne

14. Gidley
Tend to agree with you, Hayne is wasted a bit on the wing but Dugan is no.2 to slater at the moment as far as form fullbacks go. The 2 can interchange during the game to give Hayne a go at fullback for a while and Dugan switch to the wing.
But Really Burt is a better winger than Hayne so if Hayne isn't Fullback do you pick him at all? Burt and B. Morris are the 2 most consistant wingers in the game at present.
I have a bad feeling Gidley will be at no.6 when really he shouldn't be there at all bench at best. Want a utility on the bench then put Luke Lewis there instead of the backrow.

adamkungl

Immortal
Dugan for fullback.
Dugan Hayne Morris is an excellent back 3.

1 Dugan
2 Morris
3 Cooper
4 Lawrence/Jennings/Idris - don't really care
5 Hayne
6 Carney
7 Kimmorley :(
8 Weyman
9 Ennis/Farah - dont care which
10 Snowden
11 Watmough
12 Gallen
13 Lewis

14 Galloway
15 Learoyd-Lahrs
16 Mason
17 Waterhouse

Mind you, any of Creagh, Bird, Stewart, Laffranchi, O'Donnell, Hoffman, or Minichiello would do the job in the second row.

Seriously, there are that many good combinations this side could have and the selectors will still butcher it somehow by selecting nuffies like White, Gidley, Kite

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
1-Hayne
2-Burt
3-Lyon
4-Jennings
5-B Morris
6-Carney
7-Kimmorley
8-Weyman
9-Ennis
10-White
11-Lewis
12-Watmough
13-Stewart

14-Farah
15-Creagh
16-Waterhouse
17-Galloway

18th man Dean Young

Honestly NSW could do a sh*tload worse than Luke Burt on the wing....I for one don't like manufacturing wingers from centres (Jennings, for eg) and I wouldn't want to pick Josh Morris straight back from injury....that said, I reckon they'll pick Gidley at 1 and Hayne on the wing, because they're very stupid. Dugan would be an excellent fullback, but I can't see our selectors picking him.

parramaniac2516

Juniors
Dugan is to young and inexperienced for Origin, yes he is in better form then Hayne but throwing Dugan into an environment like origin this early especially at fullback could be a bad thing. The qld's will terrorise him with bombs all night, Hayne has been in Origin Before and knows what to expect.

mattyg

Bench
ive picked my team after tonight...jennings did great on the wing and we probably lack a bit in terms of wingers so i'd definately go him on the wing.

1. hayne
2. b.morris
3. lyon
4. idris/j.morris (idris might be a bit raw but I have no doubt he can match it with the likes of inglis...he really seems to be coming into his own...in saying that if j.moz is fit he has to pair up with his brother IMO)
5. jennings
6. carney
7. kimmorley
8. weyman
9. ennis
10. white
11. watmough
12. creagh
13. gallen

14. bird
15. farah (they'll probably go with gidley, but I like the idea of ennis/farah pairing up)
16. lewis
17. mason

only prob is we might be missing a bit of a front row coming off the bench but I think mason is more than capable enough to fill in with the hit ups...as much as I despise him he has earned another shot

isaiah

Bench
Dugan for fullback.
Dugan Hayne Morris is an excellent back 3.

1 Dugan
2 Morris
3 Cooper
4 Lawrence/Jennings/Idris - don't really care
5 Hayne
6 Carney
7 Kimmorley :(
8 Weyman
9 Ennis/Farah - dont care which
10 Snowden
11 Watmough
12 Gallen
13 Lewis

14 Galloway
15 Learoyd-Lahrs
16 Mason
17 Waterhouse

Mind you, any of Creagh, Bird, Stewart, Laffranchi, O'Donnell, Hoffman, or Minichiello would do the job in the second row.

Seriously, there are that many good combinations this side could have and the selectors will still butcher it somehow by selecting nuffies like White, Gidley, Kite
i actually think NSW has no depth, they have to get the selections right or its five in a row coming up. be bold, leave out gallen, watmough, lewis and go with creagh and o'donnell [if fit]. gidley has to have a bench spot for balance.

isaiah

Bench
ive picked my team after tonight...jennings did great on the wing and we probably lack a bit in terms of wingers so i'd definately go him on the wing.

1. hayne
2. b.morris
3. lyon
4. idris/j.morris (idris might be a bit raw but I have no doubt he can match it with the likes of inglis...he really seems to be coming into his own...in saying that if j.moz is fit he has to pair up with his brother IMO)
5. jennings
6. carney
7. kimmorley
8. weyman
9. ennis
10. white
11. watmough
12. creagh
13. gallen

14. bird
15. farah (they'll probably go with gidley, but I like the idea of ennis/farah pairing up)
16. lewis
17. mason

only prob is we might be missing a bit of a front row coming off the bench but I think mason is more than capable enough to fill in with the hit ups...as much as I despise him he has earned another shot
watmough, gallen, bird, and lewis = series loss

anjado

Juniors
Fullback - Hayne
Whilst he hasn't been in the best of form this season, He will be rewarded for his phenomenal work from the back end of last season. Deserves a crack at fullback at least.

Wingers - Morris & Idris

Morris is by far and away the best finisher in the game and has to be selected.

Idris on the wing may seem like an insane idea but his main weakness is in defence, at least on the wing his decisions will be made for him, He has height and is good under the high ball and a strong runner and can act as an extra forward which could be important.

Centres Lyon & Jennings

Lyon is the incumbent Australian centre plus he can kick goals so he will be chosen.

Jennings form this season has been patchy but in saying this, It is more the way Penrith are coached then Jennings himself who is carrying a knock. NSW need all the potential match winners they can get and Jennings is certainly one of them. Defenders panic whenever he has the ball in space and should definitely be chosen.

Five-Eighth - Gidley

Lets get this straight Kurt Gidley will definitely be chosen whether deserves to be or not, He can either be fullback where Dugan,Coote and Hayne should all be chosen ahead of him, He can come from the bench but he is the incumbent captain so he probably won't be on the bench. Five eighth is really the only position in the team which he may be able to fill competently if he cannot do this then he must be stripped of the captaincy and confined to a bench spot at best.

Halfback - Kimmorley

Kimmorley is still the best option for NSW halfback and to be honest it isn't even close. You would have to hope one of the younger halfbacks can make a big step up for the 2011 series.

Props - Weyman & Galloway

This has been NSW main problem area for the past four series by far. In every one of those series it has been the same story Civoniceva and Price have continued churning out quality hit ups where as all of the props used by NSW have fallen well short of the standards required.

Weyman was in the test squad and deserves another go at leading from the front.

Galloway i feel has been in great form over the past two seasons and deserves a crack at a higher level, He is big and should make ground.

Hooker - Ennis

Personally i believe Robbie Farah is more talented but NSW were certainly much better with Ennis out of dummy half.

Second Row - Watmough & Lewis

Watmough should be the first forward chosen, He is aggressive hard running hard tackling on his day unstoppable in fact if Gidley isn't up to playing five eighth i would consider giving either Watmough or Lewis the captaincy

Lewis has been superb for Penrith for the past three seasons and has the be in the squad somewhere.

Lock - Gallen

I will be honest i am not a huge fan of Gallen he will definitely be chosen though. He adds a bit of grunt which is something NSW severely lacks.

Interchange - Perry,Waterhouse,Mason,Bird

Perry was in the test side so he will have to take his place in the squad.

Waterhouse clearly made a positive impression on the team last season is aggressive and will work hard.

Mason give him one more crack at this level he is playing well enough to be given a chance.

Bird fills the role of utility in a way since Lewis and Gidley are in the starting side either of them can fill in for outside backs, It was basically out of Bird and Carney for this spot and Bird can fill in in the forwards where NSW lacks.

This is my side it might not be too conventional but i think it would give NSW a decent shot of winning but no matter who they pick they are facing an uphill battle.

Frailty

First Grade
1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Lyon
4. Tahu
5. Jennings
6. Carney
7. Kimmorley
8. Weyman
9. Ennis
10. White
11. Gallen
12. Creagh
13. Lewis

14. Snowden
15. White
16. Mason
17. Young

It won't happen but I really wish they would stop putting Gidley in the rep sides. HE OFFERS NOTHING!

evil_p091280

Juniors
watmough, gallen, bird, and lewis = series loss

I know he wasn't picked (for some unknown reason) in the country team but if he goes well tonight (against second premiership fav.) like he has for the last year and a half, surely soward has to be considered.

He is better than all other options nsw have at 6.

Jennings is carring a injury and should not be picked, can't take injuries into origin.
Centres: Lyon and Tahu/Idris.
Don't be surprised if Burt gets a wing spot.

1. Hayne (Dugan needs another year but if we lose the 1st 2 games then he has to come in)
2. B. Morris
3. Tahu or Idris (idris is a bit raw maybe needs another year too.)
4. Lyon
5. Burt (only winger in better form is B. Morris)
6. Carney (Bird is not upto origin and campese should have been in the country team ahead of him)
7. Kimmorely (there is no one else and his kicking game is 1st class)
8. Weyman
9. Ennis
10. Perry
11. Watmough
12. Leyrod-Lars
13. Gallen
Bench-
14. Lewis
15. White
16. Creagh
17. Waterhouse

Hindmarsh should be there but Daley and he don't get on so no chance of being picked, shame really.

Slick

Juniors
1. Hayne (Dugan needs another year but if we lose the 1st 2 games then he has to come in)
2. B. Morris
3. Tahu or Idris (idris is a bit raw maybe needs another year too.)
4. Lyon
5. Burt (only winger in better form is B. Morris)
6. Carney (Bird is not upto origin and campese should have been in the country team ahead of him)
7. Kimmorely (there is no one else and his kicking game is 1st class)
8. Weyman
9. Ennis
10. Perry
11. Watmough
12. Leyrod-Lars
13. Gallen
Bench-
14. Lewis
15. White
16. Creagh
17. Waterhouse

Hindmarsh should be there but Daley and he don't get on so no chance of being picked, shame really.

Not a bad side, close to mine, and probably close to what will be picked - with one exception, Gidley. You didn't pick him (neither would I) and lets face it, he's not going to be dropped unfortunately.

That most likely means Gidley in to fullback (shudder) and Hayne to the wing with Burt to drop off.

Not a bad side, close to mine, and probably close to what will be picked - with one exception, Gidley. You didn't pick him (neither would I) and lets face it, he's not going to be dropped unfortunately.

That most likely means Gidley in to fullback (shudder) and Hayne to the wing with Burt to drop off.
Gidley could be on the bench and leave out waterhouse.
Gidley could cover FB, 5/8, HK. His service at hooker wasn't that flash last night but and he doesn't look to be match fit yet. Personally i think he is very overated.

Danish

Referee
Side should be:

dugan
Morris
Cooper
Jennings
hayne
carney
kimmorley
weyman
ennis
snowden
watmough
creagh
Bird (ALWAYS gos great in origin)

Lewis
TLL
White
waterhouse

The side will be:

gidley (read daley's comments abou dugan, suggests he is fighting for a spot against hayne and Morris = all 3 are wing options only)
Morris
cooper
Lyon
hayne
bird
kimmorley
Perry
ennis
weyman
creagh
watmough
gallen

Lewis
white
TLL
waterhouse

In other words, they'll pick a team that looks good in a vacuum but when compared to what could have been, rubbish