What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Origin side 2010

Tiger Hawk

Bench
after making 38 tackles (0 missed) in 52 minutes for australia less than 48 hours earlier.
And where did he spend most of his time during that game?

If he's anybody's first choice fullback, they're deadset biased. Bring him off the bench if you must, but there's no way I want him at the back. Not good enough.

Yosh

Coach
Brad Fittler's NSW team from Big pond Sport

1. K. Gidley
2. J. Hayne
3. M. Jennings
4. M. Cooper
5. B. Morris
6. B. Finch
7. B. Kimmorley
8. J. Perry
9. M. Ennis
10. M. Weyman
11. T. Waterhouse
12. B. Creagh
13. A. Watmough

14. A. Laffranchi
15. T. Learoyd-Lahrs
16. B. White
17. L. Lewis

18. J. Idris
19. T. Carney

he also believes he has heard talk of Beau Scott playing in the centres. Doesn't believe bird and J Morris should be in the team,

what are your thoughts?

Can't please everyone but its not a bad team.

I've highlighted the players I strongly agree with. I think Gallen should get a look in and since TLL, Snowden will probably have to wait till next year to get a look in. I think if anything White should be dropped for another forward such as Snowden, Galloway etc.

I can't complain with the backs but don't think Jennings will be there. Kidley will be in the side, probably first name on the team sheet. Not saying he deserves it but selectors love the guy. Man Aku Uate really deserves a spot soon. Would be fantastic to see him improve his game and get a run next year.

Forwards we have Watmough. If he plays anything like he did last year we're in with a shot.:)

perverse

Referee
Aku has been told he's inelligible for NSW, Yosh. the selectors were specifically told to stay away from Aku for CvC. he's a Fijian rep, and will stay that way if the powers that be have any say in the matter.

smacky

Juniors
I think its pretty certain that Gidley will be fullback. They have said the wings are locked up with hayne and morris. The other option is Dugan but with our selectors and their love for gidley ill say they'll stick with the safe option.

Centres, 5/8th and backrowers are still up for grabs. I can see them picking Lyon at 5/8th and then probably having out of jennings,cooper or tahu in the centres.

EelDredd

Juniors
Former New South Wales custodians Phil Sigsworth and Marty Gurr have urged selectors to dump captain Kurt Gidley and replace him with Parramatta star Jarryd Hayne as the Blues try to avoid a record fifth straight series loss.

In what shapes as NSW’s single biggest dilemma ahead of State of Origin I on May 26, skipper Gidley is under extreme pressure to hold his spot in the starting line-up, with Dally M winner Hayne and Canberra young gun Josh Dugan both in line to replace him.

Such a change would have far-reaching implications for the Blues after the Newcastle fullback, who has started to find form again after missing the opening rounds with injury, was named captain only 12 months ago.

The issue is sure to be a major talking point ahead of the team announcement next weekend with another former Blues star, Greg Alexander, admitting even he wasn’t sure which way selectors should go.

But former Origin No.1s Gurr and Sigsworth insist the time to play it safe has passed, with Hayne the man to lead a Blues’ resurgence.

“Jarryd Hayne is the standout,” Sigsworth said. “Gidley is still the best utility player in the game but you need an X-factor and I don’t think he holds a bigger X-factor than Jarryd.

“Jarryd can score points and you just never know when he is going to bob up because he does bob up every now and then.

“Kurt is your real tradesman sort of player, whereas with Jarryd you never quite know what’s going to happen.”

Gurr, who played two games for the Blues in 1983, said Hayne was the obvious choice in the Blues’ quest to score more points in 2010.

“He creates the most danger from the back,” Gurr said. “Jarryd is the best fullback in NSW and poses the most threat to Queensland.

“The fact is we’ve got to score more tries this year.

“You’ve got to have strike power to do that and he is the most dangerous player returning the ball, getting involved and creating opportunities – which is what State of Origin is all about.

“They’re very had to come by, so you’ve got to have the right people there to convert them.

“We can’t just go through the same routine we have the past few years because it’s obviously not working.”

But change would be difficult, with Gidley only appointed captain last year and with no obvious candidates to take his place in the leadership role.

In fact, the make-up of the entire backline will almost certainly revolve around the captaincy dilemma, with selectors either sticking with Gidley because he is the incumbent or changing the entire structure by starting him from the bench.

“And you can’t have your captain starting from the bench,” Gurr added. “You would have to find a new captain.”

The fullback problem isn’t such a bad one to have, however.

After all, Queensland faced a similar problem four years ago when Billy Slater, Karmichael Hunt and Matt Bowen all held strong claims for the no.1 jumper. Four years later, they’re yet to lose another series.

But while Dugan’s irresistible form this season and his standout performance for Country Origin last Friday have seen him added to the list of viable options, the former greats believe that leap may be a bridge too far just yet.

“It’s too early yet – they would crucify him in that sort of arena,” Sigsworth said.

“It’s like racing (a horse) midweek and then going to a Group One.

“He needs time to settle, find his feet and improve his game because he is going to be a bloody good player.”

Alexander said he favoured retaining Gidley at fullback after Hayne starred for the Blues from the wing last year.

“I still think Hayne can have an influence like he did in last year’s series,” he said. “It’s a toss-of-the-coin decision.

“You could go with Hayne at fullback and that’s certainly not a bad option either.

“But I think by having both of them on the field, they (NSW) are probably better served.”

Sigsworth said that while Hayne still had plenty of work to do on his defence, selectors could no longer afford to play it safe.

“Gidley is a little bit better defensively in that he knows where to be and where to stand,” he said.

“Jarryd is still doing his apprenticeship in that regard because it’s not an easy position to play… you have to know who the kickers are, who to look for – it’s very important to know all these things and Gidley knows that stuff because he has the experience.

“But Jarryd is still the standout for me because of what he brings in attack.

“I just think they have to look for that X-factor this year.”

By Ben Blaschke NRL.com
http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...-the-battle-for-blues-no1-jersey/default.aspx

Raider_69

Post Whore
Aku has been told he's inelligible for NSW, Yosh. the selectors were specifically told to stay away from Aku for CvC. he's a Fijian rep, and will stay that way if the powers that be have any say in the matter.

Aku's not good enough for origin. Not yet anyways

typicalfan

Coach
after making 38 tackles (0 missed) in 52 minutes for australia less than 48 hours earlier.
Kurt Gidley missed Junior Sau that led to the try, Cronk and Gidley went in for the tackle Cronk hung on and was dragged over the line while Gidley missed badly. Don't know where you got the stats from but they are wrong.

Raider_69

Post Whore
oh, i absolutely agree. i was just pointing out that it will (hopefully) never become a reality, no matter how good he gets.

TBH i dont mind that though, whilst id be great to have a talent like him (should he continue to develop) in SOO footy, he can do more for the game playing for his native Fiji.

perverse

Referee
Kurt Gidley missed Junior Sau that led to the try, Cronk and Gidley went in for the tackle Cronk hung on and was dragged over the line while Gidley missed badly. Don't know where you got the stats from but they are wrong.
i think you will find that was Cronk and Watmough.

don't know where you got your eyes from, but you need them checked.

perverse

Referee
TBH i dont mind that though, whilst id be great to have a talent like him (should he continue to develop) in SOO footy, he can do more for the game playing for his native Fiji.
absolutely, i've been pretty vocal in the knights forum about wanting Aku to continue to play for Fiji. couldn't agree more.

it was so brilliant watching Fiji in the world cup. Aku, Naiqama*2 and Hayne just tore up... and i think these developing nations need these sorts of blokes to stick true to their heritage (with the exception of hayne from that particular list of players).

Apey

Staff member

Talk about clutching at straws to lay the boot in - making up scenarios :lol:

Jono078

Referee
Didn't stop the bastards from picking Michael Robertson who played for Scotland. Aku should have played CvC IMO.

Just wanted to come in here and say I'm on the band wagon with Dugan being the NSW fullback.

perverse

Referee
Didn't stop the bastards from picking Michael Robertson who played for Scotland. Aku should have played CvC IMO.

Just wanted to come in here and say I'm on the band wagon with Dugan being the NSW fullback.
oh look, if Aku keeps progressing the way he is and he could play for Fiji and NSW, then i would be all for it. under the current system, i would prefer he play for Fiji.

you've got a situation where Aku played his first senior football in NSW... but was born in Fiji. there's no reason why a bloke like this wouldn't have passion and pride for both. i'm a long-time advocate of disconnecting State of Origin from Australian selection. it would solve massive issues with our international game (which is a desperate need) and would make the pinnacle of our game even better with the best possible players that were developed in QLD and NSW doing battle.

Jono078

Referee
Also I'm gonna steal something from the NFL and list what I call the NSW 'depth chart'.

Basically it's naming the team and then the players who would replace them if they were out, so next in order.

This is based on what I think selectors will go.

Fullback Kurt Gidley - Jarryd Hayne - Josh Dugan - Anthony Minichiello

Wingers
- Jarryd Hayne + Brett Morris - Timana Tahu - Anthony Quinn - Luke Burt - Michael Robertson - Nathan Merritt Chris Lawrence

Centres
- Jamie Lyon + Matt Cooper - Michael Jennings - Timana Tahu - Josh Morris - Jamal Idris - Beau Scott - Joel Reddy - Beau Champion - Chris Lawrence

5/8th
- Jamie Soward - Greg Bird - Terry Campese - Todd Carney - Trent Barrett - Braith Anasta - Kris Keating

Halfback - Brett Kimmorley - Mitchell Pearce - Peter Wallace - Ben Hornby - Brett Finch - Jarrod Mullen - Trent Hodkinson

Front Rowers - Michael Weyman + Keith Galloway - Brett White - Kade Snowden - Josh Perry - Justin Poore - Jason King - Willie Mason - Thom Learoyd-Lahrs - Brent Kite - Aiden Tolman - Luke Stuart - Jason Ryles - Ben Cross - Bryce Gibbs - Luke Douglas - Dane Tilse

Hooker - Michael Ennis - Robbie Farah - Isaac De Gois

Second Rowers - Anthony Watmough + Ben Creagh - Nathan Hindmarsh - Anthony Laffranchi - Trent Waterhouse - Ryan Hoffman - Anthony Tupou

Lock - Paul Gallen - Luke Lewis - Glenn Stewart - Chris Heighnington - Dean Young

So there it is, each player listed in order for each position. Basically covers everyone who will be picked I think, I don't think there would be anyone outside of that.

Take your picks.

Last edited:

hellteam

First Grade
Also I'm gonna steal something from the NFL and list what I call the NSW 'depth chart'.

Basically it's naming the team and then the players who would replace them if they were out, so next in order.

Wingers
- Jarryd Hayne + Brett Morris - Timana Tahu - Anthony Quinn - Luke Burt - Michael Robertson - Nathan Merritt Chris Lawrence

Centres
- Jamie Lyon + Matt Cooper - Michael Jennings - Timana Tahu - Josh Morris - Jamal Idris - Beau Scott - Joel Reddy - Beau Champion - Chris Lawrence

5/8th
- Jamie Soward - Greg Bird - Terry Campese - Todd Carney - Trent Barrett - Braith Anasta - Kris Keating

Halfback - Brett Kimmorley - Mitchell Pearce - Peter Wallace - Ben Hornby - Brett Finch - Jarrod Mullen - Trent Hodkinson

Front Rowers - Michael Weyman + Keith Galloway - Brett White - Kade Snowden - Josh Perry - Justin Poore - Jason King - Willie Mason - Thom Learoyd-Lahrs - Brent Kite - Aiden Tolman - Luke Stuart - Jason Ryles - Ben Cross - Bryce Gibbs - Luke Douglas - Dane Tilse

Second Rowers - Anthony Watmough + Ben Creagh - Nathan Hindmarsh - Anthony Laffranchi - Trent Waterhouse - Ryan Hoffman - Anthony Tupou

Lock - Paul Gallen - Luke Lewis - Glenn Stewart - Chris Heighnington - Dean Young

So there it is, each player listed in order for each position. Basically covers everyone who will be picked I think, I don't think there would be anyone outside of that.

Take your picks.

Do you actually think they will pick Soward at five eight.... They won't, he didn't even make City vs Country.

RedVfaithful

Juniors

Wingers - Jarryd Hayne + Brett Morris - Timana Tahu - Anthony Quinn - Luke Burt - Michael Robertson - Nathan Merritt Chris Lawrence

Centres - Jamie Lyon + Matt Cooper - Michael Jennings - Timana Tahu - Josh Morris - Jamal Idris - Beau Scott - Joel Reddy - Beau Champion - Chris Lawrence

5/8th - Jamie Soward - Greg Bird - Terry Campese - Todd Carney - Trent Barrett - Braith Anasta - Kris Keating

Take your picks.

Really like that team (apart from gidley but he will get picked) nearly every player is in form and good balance between youth and exspirience and for jamie soward why not chuck him in his been the best nsw 5/8 and his kicking and speed will be very handy for nsw, i would rather him then bird

1 Gidley
2 Hayne
3 Lyon
4 Cooper
5 B Morris
6 Soward
7 Kimmorley
8 Weyman
9 Ennis
10 Galloway
11 Watmough
12 Creagh
13 Gallen

14 Lewis
15 Douglas
16 ?
17 ?

Jono078

Referee
Do you actually think they will pick Soward at five eight.... They won't, he didn't even make City vs Country.
I don't know why he wasn't picked for that game, but I get the feeling the NSW selectors have seen enough from him now last season and this one to know what he's capable of.

EDIT: Although it wouldn't surprise me if it's Greg Bird, he is probably the favourite. If theyre thinking of a more defensive halve and let Kimmorley run the show. Not to mention they know each other well from the Cronulla days. So yeh Id say Bird will be there instead of Soward.

Danish

Referee
Just something I was thinking today... Can someone come up witha single reason why Preston Campbell shouldn't be in the halves?

He I far and away the form half in NSW, yet he hasn't even got a look in, not even in city country.

I was so brainwashed by the ridiculous selectors "giants only" policy that I completely forgot him.

No one can convince me that Lyon, bird, carney or anyone else is a better option than presto