What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW player ratings game 1

Talanexor

Juniors
I can't believe people are rating Soward so poorly. He was basically playing first receiver for large patches of the game while Pearce went missing.

King needs to be dropped. Merrin will probably play Origin again one day, but right now there are better options in Learoyd Lars, Galloway and Douglas. Young was out of his depth.

Dugan - 7/10 - He was in position to get to his catches, unlike Hayne would've been
Uate - 7/10 - Big future
Gasnier - 6/10 - poor game by his standards, but he was up against Tonga and Boyd
Jennings - 7.5/10 - good player, but makes too many basic mistakes
Morris - 2/10 - Anything he can do, Hayne can do better
Soward - 7/10
Pearce - 5/10 - went missing for large chunks of the game
King - 0/10 - absolutely worthless selection
Young - 4/10
Snowden - 6/10
Scott - 8/10 - looks a LOT better in the backrow than at centre
Bird - 8/10
Gallen - 7/10 - captains should not have brainsnaps like that

Ennis - 6.5/10 - Farah is better, it's so bleedingly obvious
Creagh - 5/10 - Anything Creagh can do, Lewis can do better
Merrin - 4/10
Mannah - 7/10

OUT: Morris, King, Young, Ennis, Creagh, Merrin
IN: Hayne, Galloway, Gidley, Farah, Lewis, Learoyd-Lars

roarr

Juniors
That team will get better over the next two games. Stick with soward, pearce, dugan. The kicking game was horrendous, but Pearce and Soward both have good boots and when the forward pack doesnt get dominated, we might get to see it. Tonight...shithouse.

The forward pack might need a game-breaker or two. Its just go too many of the same king,scott,merrin,mannah,creagh type of players. There were times when qld when shot up the middle but NSW lacked that killer-type run. Theres only so much gallen and bird can do for the forward pack.

Ennis, I honestly can't see what he does on the field that is of any note. Especially when you get to watch him up against cam smith (who played 20mins longer than him) who gave him an absolute lesson on how to control the ruck. In saying that, the alternatives arent much better. Farah, Young, De Gois... i dunno. It will be interesting how Stuart was refusing to pick players out of position, so what does he do with Gidley. Bench with Ennis starting?

Hayne in for Morris must be a certainty, and TLL in for King?

Last edited:

Hooch

Juniors
Ennis passing it into his own knees... just about sums him up. Wonder if he gave his knees a mouthful?

Origin tough...

typicalfan

Coach
I can't believe people are rating Soward so poorly. He was basically playing first receiver for large patches of the game while Pearce went missing.

King needs to be dropped. Merrin will probably play Origin again one day, but right now there are better options in Learoyd Lars, Galloway and Douglas. Young was out of his depth.

Dugan - 7/10 - He was in position to get to his catches, unlike Hayne would've been
Uate - 7/10 - Big future
Gasnier - 6/10 - poor game by his standards, but he was up against Tonga and Boyd
Jennings - 7.5/10 - good player, but makes too many basic mistakes
Morris - 2/10 - Anything he can do, Hayne can do better
Soward - 7/10
Pearce - 5/10 - went missing for large chunks of the game
King - 0/10 - absolutely worthless selection
Young - 4/10
Snowden - 6/10
Scott - 8/10 - looks a LOT better in the backrow than at centre
Bird - 8/10
Gallen - 7/10 - captains should not have brainsnaps like that

Ennis - 6.5/10 - Farah is better, it's so bleedingly obvious
Creagh - 5/10 - Anything Creagh can do, Lewis can do better
Merrin - 4/10
Mannah - 7/10

OUT: Morris, King, Young, Ennis, Creagh, Merrin
IN: Hayne, Galloway, Gidley, Farah, Lewis, Learoyd-Lars

Your ratings are the ones I agree with most. The other thing is Soward must have saved 2-3 tries with his efforts and was in position to save more. It is uncanny how often he is in the right spot at the right time. Both he and Dugan have that ability which in my opinion makes them origin players, they might be underdeveloped and might take a few games but definitely origin players.

adamkungl

Immortal
I would change
Hayne -> Morris. Morris is a f**king genius. That's being kind.
King -> TLL
Creagh -> Lewis

Overall not a bad effort. Some isolated moments of unbelievably awful defence handed QLD the game after a massive effort to hold out something like 45 line dropouts. So f**king shit

Slackboy72

Coach
Dugan 5/10 First game effort bad knock on, bad misreads
Uate 7/10 Good hitups
Gasnier 5/10 Was rubbed out of the game by Boyd. Good defensive effort.
Jennings 9/10 Best NSW player in attack.
Morris 3/10 Poor game from Morris. Like King was picked on incumbency rather than form.
Soward 5/10 Another first gamer. Seemed to play more as dummy half than as 5/8.
Pearce 7/10 Better than expected. Made some good tackles.
King 3/10 Looked soft and slow.
Young 5/10 Solid in defence. No zip out of dummy half.
Snowden 5/10 Another first gamer. Went missing in first 10 minutes.
Scott 9/10 Best NSW forward. Looked up for a fight.
Bird 6/10 Set up a try but had some defensive errors too.
Gallen 8/10 Very solid captains knock. Tired defence helped last try.

Ennis 6/10 One bad error. Doesn't offer much out of dummy half.
Creagh 7/10 Made some solid metres off the bench.
Merrin 5/10 Didn't get enough time to show anything.
Mannah 6/10 Not enough game time.

Overall fantastic defense from NSW punctuated by two ridiculous tries.
First ten minutes was all Qld.
Some very lax refereeing kept the play-the-ball interminably slow.
Bad call on the pass by Pearce literally stole 15 minutes of the game from NSW.
Lack of co-ordination all round.

If anyone gets dropped it should be King and Morris. Can't see much point in Young or Ennis being there over Farah.

typicalfan

Coach
Ennis got us back in the game you geniuss

Pearce -5/10
Sure did, but as soon as we hit the lead I was going to see who was the player to put us back on the back foot and Ennis delivered. Rather than give it to our best kicker to find us territory, hell even kick it dead, Ennis makes a poor decision in what I thought was a moment of laziness. However I wouldn't drop him.

mxlegend99

Referee
Dugan - 7/10 - First try wasnt his fault. If he was covering at fullback there would of been a 5 metre gap to the right of the play the ball. One error but ran hard.
Uate - 8/10
Gasnier - 4/10 -
Jennings - 8/10 - Terrific running, HOWEVER, didnt pass it to morris at all
Morris - 3/10 -
Soward - 5/10 -
Pearce - 6/10 - Halves need to involve themself more.
King - 1/10
Young - 5/10 - Alot of heart, alot of work, but a pace behind the game in passing and impact.
Snowden - 7/10
Scott - 8/10
Bird - 7/10
Gallen - 7/10

Ennis - 5/10
Creagh - 5/10
Merrin - 5/10 (Not really given a go)
Mannah - 6/10
Not passing to Morris was the best part of his game. ;-)

aussie7798

First Grade
Dugan 6/10 Solid but not great. Hayne should have retained this spot.
Morris 2/10 How many chances can he get? He can add to his NSW highlight reel of dropped balls and short hitups with the try he gifted Yow Yeh with bows.
Gasnier 2/10 Meant to be experienced. F off we don't need you.
Jennings 9/10 Looked dangerous with every touch and justified his selection.
Uate 8/10 Took everything QLD threw at him and ran it back solidly.
Soward 4/10 Had all his Dragons buddies with him and still did SFA :lol: keep him so we can see how worse he'll be without them.
Pearce 8/10 Had to do all the halves work and defence. Scored the try that brought NSW back into the game. Looked dangerous on his side all night.
King 1/10 Obvious.
Ennis 6/10 Farah should be here but at least Ennis is better than the imposter who played hooker in the first 20.
Snowden 5/10 Not great but should get another shot.
Scott 3/10 What does he offer? No defence, no attack. Just a babysitter for Sowie.
Bird 8/10 Played with passion and set up the try for Pearce. Troubling the defence all night.
Gallen 8/10 Led by example. Cut the penalties out of his game and did the work of 3 players (too bad we were alright minus 7)

Mannah 5/10 Still young and deserves to have another shot.
Young, Creagh, Merrin 1/10 - the invisibles.

piss off dickhead another dumb arse anti dragons post from a cry baby who cant get over last years GF

your posts have all the value of rex mossop commentating a manly game

Raider_69

Post Whore
Dugan: 7 - One mistake, maybe two as he probably should have reeled in the high pearce pass but he's copping the blame for tries conceded by a dumb defensive lapse, morris's inexcusable mistake and gallen's laziness on the inside.

Uate: 8 - Looked great, our best front rower. Embarrassed his forwards.

Gasnier: 5 - Not his best game but he got some ordinary service and was given no chance. Boyd tee'd off on him all game. Strong defensively

Jennings: 9 - NSW's best. Looked really good with good early ball, had a nice combination forming with dugan

Morris: 2 - his mistake was completely inexcusable. Needs to go

Soward: 5.5 - Kicking was inconsistant and his running game was non existant but he did do some nice things. Attacking kicks need to be better. Im not dropping him though.

Pearce: 6 - Hopeless in attack and his kicking game sucked but he defended his arse off and stopped Thiaday cold a few sets in a row.

King: 2 - Worst starting front rower in SOO history. How he got in the team is completely beyond me. Aiden Tolman is 1000 times the player he is

Young: 4 - I think he was good defensively and the one two punch with ennis worked but he barely threatened and his service was average

Snowden: 6 - Looked ok at times but needed to step it up more than he did

Scott: 6 - He was ok, but made some poor reads in defense at times. I liked his agro though

Bird: 7 - He looked great when he got involved. Didnt get involved enough though

Gallen: 6 - Would be a 7 if not for his ordinary work on the try that sunk us.

Ennis: 7 - One pretty bad error and a shocking attempt at tackle on scott at the death, take those two out and he was great.

Creagh: 5 - Barely noticed he was there. Dwyer can do everything he can but better

Merrin: 5 - Didnt mind his work for a rookie but considering we had impact of TLL last year and could have had it here again, failed to do enough to retain his spot imo

Mannah: 6 - Not the impact i thought he'd have, got little help from his front row partner though which didnt help.

RABK

Referee
Dugan: 7 - One mistake, maybe two as he probably should have reeled in the high pearce pass but he's copping the blame for tries conceded by a dumb defensive lapse, morris's inexcusable mistake and gallen's laziness on the inside.

Uate: 8 - Looked great, our best front rower. Embarrassed his forwards.

Gasnier: 5 - Not his best game but he got some ordinary service and was given no chance. Boyd tee'd off on him all game. Strong defensively

Jennings: 9 - NSW's best. Looked really good with good early ball, had a nice combination forming with dugan

Morris: 2 - his mistake was completely inexcusable. Needs to go

Soward: 5.5 - Kicking was inconsistant and his running game was non existant but he did do some nice things. Attacking kicks need to be better. Im not dropping him though.

Pearce: 6 - Hopeless in attack and his kicking game sucked but he defended his arse off and stopped Thiaday cold a few sets in a row.

King: 2 - Worst starting front rower in SOO history. How he got in the team is completely beyond me. Aiden Tolman is 1000 times the player he is

Young: 4 - I think he was good defensively and the one two punch with ennis worked but he barely threatened and his service was average

Snowden: 6 - Looked ok at times but needed to step it up more than he did

Scott: 6 - He was ok, but made some poor reads in defense at times. I liked his agro though

Bird: 7 - He looked great when he got involved. Didnt get involved enough though

Gallen: 6 - Would be a 7 if not for his ordinary work on the try that sunk us.

Ennis: 7 - One pretty bad error and a shocking attempt at tackle on scott at the death, take those two out and he was great.

Creagh: 5 - Barely noticed he was there. Dwyer can do everything he can but better

Merrin: 5 - Didnt mind his work for a rookie but considering we had impact of TLL last year and could have had it here again, failed to do enough to retain his spot imo

Mannah: 6 - Not the impact i thought he'd have, got little help from his front row partner though which didnt help.

Given time, i can say your pretty spot on.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Dugan 6/10
Uate 8/10
Gasnier 1/10
Jennings 9/10
Morris 1/10
Soward 4/10
Pearce 5/10
King 1/10
Young 4/10
Snowden 6/10
Scott 6/10
Bird 8/10
Gallen 8/10

Ennis 4/10
Creagh 1/10
Merrin 4/10
Mannah 6/10

my ratings

Uate and Jennings imo standouts

Doga

Juniors
Ennis actually made the tackle on Scott. Granted it took him a while to get the bloke down

Big Pete

Referee
Dugan - 5
Morris - 3
Gasnier - 4
Jennings - 6
Uate - 7
Soward - 3
Pearce - 4
King - 2
Young - 3
Snowden - 5
Scott - 7
Bird - 7
Gallen - 6

Ennis - 5
Creagh - 4
Merrin - 3
Mannah - 5

RABK

Referee
Ennis actually made the tackle on Scott. Granted it took him a while to get the bloke down

Look Scott was immense tonight but if Ennis wanted to stand up and earn his jersey he needed to have an origin moment there and halt scott. The winning set play comes of the back of that ennis 'missed' tackle.