What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW selections?

Serc

First Grade
Mullen has been on the big stage before and knows how to handle the pressure.

LOL yeah he really handled it well didn't he.

Plus Mullen's a halfback now. What's up with people trying to disrespect the 5/8 position by picking players from other positions? Campese's a genuine 5/8 and will compliment Wallace's game.

He wasn't ready for it in 2007...all the Knights fans on here were saying that...he had just turned 20 too! And depending on how they decide ages for NYC, he would still have been young enough to play in the Toyota Cup if it was around in 2007, there's some perspective for ya!

He still plays his best footy at 5/8, and is much more of a genuine 5/8 than halfback. Last year (and in 2007 when he was last picked) he was just a competent halfback, and good 5/8. Now he's a good halfback and a very good 5/8!

mongoose

Coach
I would say campese was picked over Mullen because of his size and superior defence and obviously campese in form is one of the best attacking players in the game. I will admit Mullen shown better form over the last few weeks than campese. Most unbiased raiders fans would admit that.

Anyway, knights and other fans will have their opportunity to tear him to shreads if and when NSW lose.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
LOL yeah he really handled it well didn't he.

Plus Mullen's a halfback now. What's up with people trying to disrespect the 5/8 position by picking players from other positions? Campese's a genuine 5/8 and will compliment Wallace's game.

And McAnus sucked last night. Monaghan was robbed. He was the best winger on the field in the City-Country game.

Weird argument ... since Monaghan plays for his club as a centre. :crazy:

It is generally accepted that Mullen is better suited to a 5/8's role than a halfback's ... even if that's where he plays - not unlike Todd Carney. Players have to fit into an overall team structure. Shrug.

I think the biggest thing going against Mullen was the fact that he's carrying an inury. Take that away and I think it would have been MUCH closer ... although I think they would have gone with Campese because he has a physicality that Mullen lacks.

Nightward

Juniors
NSW may have erred greatly by selecting Lyon. For the past few years he has loudly and roundly proclaimed that he has no desire to play Origin, and has applied for exemptions from the series.

In the back of his mind, and in the backs of the minds of all players in the NSW team, is going to be the nagging thought that he does not want to be there and has repeatedly said he does not want to be there.

Time will tell whether or not this is something that will be exploited.

Charlie124

First Grade
NSW may have erred greatly by selecting Lyon. For the past few years he has loudly and roundly proclaimed that he has no desire to play Origin, and has applied for exemptions from the series.

In the back of his mind, and in the backs of the minds of all players in the NSW team, is going to be the nagging thought that he does not want to be there and has repeatedly said he does not want to be there.

Time will tell whether or not this is something that will be exploited.

True, but when has pride in your state had anything to do with NSW? :sarcasm:

Lyon was picked because he is currently in form. Not because he deserves to represent his state.

Sleep

Juniors
Lyon came out while he was in the Country camp and said he was having a blast and really enjoying himself.

He's the form centre in the comp. He deserves to be picked. He's always said he didn't want to play but if picked he'd do his job. He's since come out and said he wanted to play Origin.

Aside McManus I don't really think any of the choices are that surprising. The guys have earned their spots.

Joker's Wild

Coach
True, but when has pride in your state had anything to do with NSW? :sarcasm:

Lyon was picked because he is currently in form. Not because he deserves to represent his state.

You are a deadset broken record

I seem to remember a certain article where a one J.Hodges stated that he supported the Blues as a young fella because he thought it was cool to not support the Maroons. Such displays of "pride" are really overwhelming

Give yourself an upper cut mate

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Lyon is a class player. merkin but class one the field.

Jennings stoked he got the gig.

Ennis should be on the bench IMO.

I would have gone Mullen, but Campese is a good player, hopefully with Wallace inside he can run, run and run.

Love the Backrow, really happy there, feel for Laffrachi.

Worry about the props, but they are probably the best we have.

Also Luke Lewis over Wing for mine.

But overall happy, especially the starting back row - way better then QLD there.

Charlie124

First Grade
You are a deadset broken record

I seem to remember a certain article where a one J.Hodges stated that he supported the Blues as a young fella because he thought it was cool to not support the Maroons. Such displays of "pride" are really overwhelming

Give yourself an upper cut mate

hahahaha so you're comparing something Hodges said as a child to something Jamie Lyon said earlier this season?? :lol::lol: You're classic!

Come talk to me when one of our players comes out in the media and tells the QLD selectors not to pick him because he doesn't want to play.

Joker's Wild

Coach
hahahaha so you're comparing something Hodges said as a child to something Jamie Lyon said earlier this season?? :lol::lol: You're classic!

Come talk to me when one of our players comes out in the media and tells the QLD selectors not to pick him because he doesn't want to play.

Yeah I am champ. How bout the great Tony Carroll playing for NZ, jumping ship to Qld then coming out to the media saying "I've always said I'm a Kiwi. I love being a Kiwi". Where did his Maroon spirit go aye

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
^Still doesn't take away from the fact that Lyon clearly stated he didn't want to play for NSW.
He should have never been in consideration regardless of form after that, shameful to the fans of NSW.

Joker's Wild

Coach
^Still doesn't take away from the fact that Lyon clearly stated he didn't want to play for NSW.
He should have never been in consideration regardless of form after that, shameful to the fans of NSW.

I was never arguing that point Shorts, he should not have been picked.

I only took exception to Chuckles's inference yet again that NSWelshmen have no passion for the blue jersey

Charlie124

First Grade
Find me a quote from Tonie Carroll where he tells the QLD selectors not to pick him because he doesn't want to play for them.

It seems to me like he wanted to play for QLD so much he "broke the rules" in order to get selected.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Find me a quote from Tonie Carroll where he tells the QLD selectors not to pick him because he doesn't want to play for them.

It seems to me like he wanted to play for QLD so much he "broke the rules" in order to get selected.

So farkin what mate. He clearly said he considers himself a Kiwi above all else. Playing for NZ then Qld then wanting to play for NZ again makes him a mercenary not a patriot.

Dazzat

First Grade
So farkin what mate. He clearly said he considers himself a Kiwi above all else. Playing for NZ then Qld then wanting to play for NZ again makes him a mercenary not a patriot.

I guess when your team can't win on the field for three years, you get a little desperate to win anything ... like a debate over a non-issue that happened about 10 years ago for example.

Tunza will always be remembered as the Queenslander who scored the try that won a series for the Mighty Maroons, and put the fear of God in many in the Blue jersey. One mistake - playing for NZ once or twice - is a pimple on an elephant of a career for the Maroons.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I guess when your team can't win on the field for three years, you get a little desperate to win anything ... like a debate over a non-issue that happened about 10 years ago for example.

Tunza will always be remembered as the Queenslander who scored the try that won a series for the Mighty Maroons, and put the fear of God in many in the Blue jersey. One mistake - playing for NZ once or twice - is a pimple on an elephant of a career for the Maroons.

Well he did want to play for NZ in the WC last year. Dont let the truth get in the way though

Dazzat

First Grade
Well he did want to play for NZ in the WC last year. Dont let the truth get in the way though

He had retired from all rep football last year ... but don't let an obvious tongue in cheek comment from the great Tunza get in way of the truth - which contrary to what you think, isn't the space between your ears.

Carroll was well known for baiting the media with silly comments ... some people actually believed what he said ...

Weird argument ... since Monaghan plays for his club as a centre. :crazy:

It is generally accepted that Mullen is better suited to a 5/8's role than a halfback's ... even if that's where he plays - not unlike Todd Carney. Players have to fit into an overall team structure. Shrug.

I think the biggest thing going against Mullen was the fact that he's carrying an inury. Take that away and I think it would have been MUCH closer ... although I think they would have gone with Campese because he has a physicality that Mullen lacks.

Monaghan switches to the wing plenty of times during a game, especially to jump for cross field kicks. Plus he's played a lot of wing during his 9 seasons of first grade.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mullen was carrying an injury, he seems to be prone to them.

Raider_69

Post Whore
He wasn't ready for it in 2007...all the Knights fans on here were saying that...he had just turned 20 too!

Actually most knights players were roped in by the "next joey johns" stuff, and were saying how he was going to kill it, it was only after the event they all tried fessing up as saying "i thought he wasnt ready for it" :lol:

FTR i think he's a far better player now then he was then