What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2014

timka4

Bench
Surely it is, all good options
4. Hopoate
5. Dugan/McManus

Dugan is safe under the high ball, and makes good running yards. Hopoate is obvious choice for centre, all class no one can deny what he can do, he'll be fine. All have played origin and played well (McManus more recent then earlier game)

chrisD

Coach
Whatever, Hayne making it through this round uninjured is 5 times more important than which interchangeable pair we chuck on our flank. They'll do.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Hopoate and Dugan together would worry me with their decision making in D. I would have McManus or even Gordon on the right wing at least just for a bit more stability on that side.

Would also go with Wighton at right centre, I think. Good defender with a great tackling technique and that's what you need on Inglis.

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
No sold on the Hoppa-Dugan pairing, but i wasnt sold on Reynolds-Hodgko either and i was wrong about that...

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Michael Jennings
4. Dylan Walker
5. Jack Wighton
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Trent Hodkinson
8. Aaron Woods
9. Robbie Farrah
10. James Tamou
11. Greg Bird
12. Beau Scott
13. Paul Gallen

14. Anthony Watmough
15. Luke Lewis
16. Trent Merrin
17. Andrew Fifita

I can see Jack Wighton and Dylan Walker holding onto those positions for the next decade. Will Hopoate will be there in the future but on the left side.

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
For some reason, tin foil hat I feel Laurie has influenced the Sharks v Dragons game.

Dugan v Gordon.

I smell lambs and flannelette.

Once/current Assistant NSW coaches........blues......

Go Mick.

BranVan3000

Coach
Unless Wighton and Walker absolutely carve up GI and Boyd they won't hold onto anything against the Morris brothers

Fortunately they will provide great competition

big hit!

Bench
No sold on the Hoppa-Dugan pairing, but i wasnt sold on Reynolds-Hodgko either and i was wrong about that...

what were you wrong about? that they would have virtually no influence in winning the game? because you would be actually right.

thank christ Hayne was in the team and able to play close to the ruck at full back. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been 2 or 3 booming kicks to get NSW out from deep within their territory after several poor metres in several sets from the goal line, and also, his line break that was another pressure valve release when the NSW were camped on their line.

Our current halves can best contribute in two ways: by keeping out of Hayne's way, or by passing the ball to Hayne.

big hit!

Bench
Been tried and failed in the past. Would be a stupid move imo

This.

Seriously. The team is 1-0 up heading into a home match.

Daley has to take the game up to them, not allow QLD to dictate what happens. I'm not saying all out attack, but Scott in the centres is not threatening at all. He was picked as a right forward to solidify the edge and offer the strong option closer to the ruck on right side plays. I liken the edge forward to a line backer or tight end in the NFL. Doesn't have the overall size of a prop or lineman, but doesn't have the speed of a back or wide receiver. A combination of both. To be damaging further out wide, we need speed.

Daley will need players who have the ability to threaten down QLD's left side with Hayne. Nothing happened down the NSW left-side with Hodkinson pulling the strings. With Thaiday returning, they'll be even harder to get through on that side, and will be also more threatening in attack. Remember Game 2 last year when Meninga moved Sam back onto the right edge after struggling in the middle in Game 1? Fair enough, it won't be Cronk putting him through the holes, but DCE will now be top dog down this side of the field in training and will start to build some familiarity with Sam & Hodges.

That's what has made QLD damaging over the years - potency on any part of the field. Having a predominantly defensive mind set on the right side fringes takes away the obvious part of the field which NSW was threatening. A player that can compliment Hayne here is big requirement.

Last edited:

caylo

Bench
I'd say Hopoate and Gordon. Hoppa has been great feeding his winger and generally this year his defence has been excellent. I would have had Gordon or hoppa over Tapou and I don't think it smart to blood another rookie.

isaiah

Bench
if daley goes with beau scott at right centre, dugan on the wing outside him, and hoffman as edge defender that side because bird plays on the left, say goodbye to this series. it also tells me that laurie is no better coach than his old raiders halves partner, ricky. when you are one up at home, this is when you blood one of walker, wighton, or mansour. not game 3 under immense pressure because you have messed up at home.

ucantseeme

Juniors
Laurie Daley has shown he is keen on club combinations with Reynolds/Hodkinson, Jennings/Tupou, Morris/Morris and Pierce/Maloney.

I think Idris/Mansour would have been his first option if Idris hadn't taken a leave of absence. So what NSW/NSW combinations are left?

McManus/Leilua from the Knights?

PhilGould

Bench
Laurie Daley has shown he is keen on club combinations with Reynolds/Hodkinson, Jennings/Tupou, Morris/Morris and Pierce/Maloney.

I think Idris/Mansour would have been his first option if Idris hadn't taken a leave of absence. So what NSW/NSW combinations are left?

McManus/Leilua from the Knights?
Leilua on his regular left side of the field would be a big enough risk, I doubt they'll put him on the right. McManus would be a solid selection though.

BranVan3000

Coach
Daley said he is basically leaning away from selecting an Origin rookie. Mentioned McManus, Dugan, Hopoate and Mansour (not sure how Mansour isn't a rookie though?)

I personally don't get it, you're one up and playing in Sydney against an injury decimated Queensland team. Couldn't ask for a much safer game in which to debut a player

Tweed Titan

Bench
Watching his combination with Hayne tonight I'm starting to lean towards Hopoate at right centre with Mansour, Taufua, Walker or Wighton outside him. All bright prospects, our future in the outside backs looks bright.

Hopoate is doing much better tonight. Made some quality reads and tackles on Kane Linnett.

Hayne HAS to be at fullback. Such a silky smooth and complete footballer. Any one talking about moving him from fullback has rocks in their head.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Daley said he is basically leaning away from selecting an Origin rookie. Mentioned McManus, Dugan, Hopoate and Mansour (not sure how Mansour isn't a rookie though?)

I personally don't get it, you're one up and playing in Sydney against an injury decimated Queensland team. Couldn't ask for a much safer game in which to debut a player
I'm really worried that the right centre will be Scott after seeing Sterlo and Gasnier backing him to play there and now Daley saying he wants experience on that side.