What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2014

BunniesMan

Immortal
Dugan was only good against a hopeless Sharks. He got owned against Souths. The worst selection f**k up since Merritt.

big hit!

Bench
I would've preferred Dugan on the wing with Hoppa at centre. Kick it towards Hayne, you're f**ked, kick it towards Dugan, you're just as f**ked. Hayne at FB will make him a threat on both sides of the ground.

It was really important that with the Moz twins out, Daley kept the blokes inside in Reynolds & Scott at R3 & R4 the same as Game 1.

The left side is stable. They were able to pressure and contain DCE in Game 1 solidly. It was a no brainer that Daley would maintain familiarity at all costs and unsettle the team as little as possible than it already had to be with the twins unavailable.

This meant Bird into the middle rotation. That interchange of Merrin, Watmough & Tamou to give Woods, Gal & Bird a breather can keep up the pressure. Sure, the only difference here from Game 1 where the Blues struggled to get off their line for a good portion of the 2nd half is just Williams for Bird, but these guys need to stand up now on home soil against the QLD middle of Scott, Myles, Parker, Gillett, Guerra & Lillyman.

kokz2014

Juniors
Don't know why everyone is bitching but Dugan is definitely the right man for the spot! Maybe at fullback he struggles a little bit in defense but having him in the line where its more compressed shouldn't be a problem. Its hopoate that I'm concerned about...his hands hasn't been great lately. I'm very confident NSW should bring this one home. I wasn't expecting T-Rex to get dropped but it is what it is. The team is strong enough to beat QLD off the park. It's time to END the drought!!

NSW UP!

big hit!

Bench
Almost exactly right, they had Tamou starting with Woods on the bench. But it is a pretty obvious side really, there isn't really a shock selection anywhere going off Daley's public comments during the week

Yeah, my view of the forwards was more realistic i though. Woods starts and grinds. Tamou will have better impact off the bench.

LatK7

First Grade
If Inglis is out I think we'll be sweet...but him and Boyd against an inexperienced centre and underdone winger. Hmm.

big hit!

Bench
toadies plan . attack hoppa, dugan, with kicks , runs, passes

Their left-side was where QLD got their 2 tries and nearly a 3rd in Game 1 anyway. It doesn't matter who Daley picked, QLD will generally favour the side of Thurston & Inglis.

But, the inclusion of Thaiday on the right now gives them a greater threat on the right. Cronk won't be there to put him into holes like he did in Game 2 at Lang park last year, but they are definitely much more balanced with Thaiday with DCE for Game 2.

I think it was imperative that Daley didn't go defensive and lose the threat which NSW also had on its right side of the field. On home soil, you have to expect the guys in the middle to win the territory war, and need the speed on the edge to threaten the opposition line. Does Hoppa have the speed though?

Last edited:

to_ddeath

Coach
No problems with Dugan being in the side, although wing would have been preferred for mine. Hoffman is the only 1 I object to....any forward who gets shoved off multiple times by a halfback doesn't belong in Origin IMO.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'm hoping the gameplan is that in attack Hoppa goes to centre, Dugan to winger, and just swap in defense. That way in attack dugan can also have a bit of a licence to roam.

to_ddeath

Coach
I'm hoping the gameplan is that in attack Hoppa goes to centre, Dugan to winger, and just swap in defense. That way in attack dugan can also have a bit of a licence to roam.

Totally agree, massive fan of Hoppa...he contributed a lot to the side when he was last in there.

T.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Dugan was only good against a hopeless Sharks. He got owned against Souths. The worst selection f**k up since Merritt.

Difference between TheDugan and Merritt is that one is a talented footballer and one isn't. I'll leave you to figure out which is which.

We were going to have to take a punt with replacing the Morris bros whichever way we went. Look at the list of available players, and tell me which selections would not have been a risk:

- Beau Scott (shifting from 2nd row, keeping She-Rex in the team)
- TheDugan
- Will Hopoate
- Josh Mansour
- Jack Wighton
- Mitch Aubusson
- Anthony Minichello (on the wing)
- Jorge Taufua
- Kane Linnett
- Pat Richards
- Matthew Wright
- David Mead
- Kevin Gordon
- Michael Gordon
- James McManus
- BJ Leilua

Find me a clearly better combo than TheDugan and Hoppa (who both have previous Origin experience) from that list.

One thing I do like about the team is two props on the bench (Merrin is a prop, whatever Price and Mary may think). About bloody time.

big hit!

Bench
One thing I do like about the team is two props on the bench (Merrin is a prop, whatever Price and Mary may think). About bloody time.

As a forward in today's game, I reckon the distinction has changed to whether you either play in the middle, the left, or the right. Some are versatile to play both edge and middle.

With the 3 blokes in the middle at any one time, the differentiation is more in the attributes that a player brings rather than just saying a player is a prop or a player is a lock. Merrin has the size of a typical prop, but brings the footwork of a smaller player like your former locks.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Offical team http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2014/06/10/nsw_vb_blues_game_2_team_announcement_0.html

Jarryd Hayne - Parramatta Eels
Will Hopoate - Parramatta Eels
Josh Dugan - St George Illawarra Dragons
Michael Jennings - Sydney Roosters
Daniel Tupou - Sydney Roosters
Josh Reynolds - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Trent Hodkinson - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Paul Gallen - Cronulla Sutherland Sharks (c)
Robbie Farah - Wests Tigers
Aaron Woods - Wests Tigers
Ryan Hoffman - Melbourne Storm
Beau Scott - Newcastle Knights
Greg Bird - Gold Coast Titans

James Tamou - North Queensland Cowboys
Anthony Watmough - Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
Trent Merrin - St George Illawarra Dragons
Luke Lewis - Cronulla Sutherland Sharks

God-King Dean

Immortal
Pretty much as expected.

Williams out is a good move. Gallen should be prop in every team he plays for.

I don't approve of Dugan at centre, should be on the wing. I hope he is wing in defence, centre in attack.