What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2014

Tigger Madness

Juniors
1. Stewart
2. Morris
3. Jennings
4. Morris
5. Hayne
6. Reynolds
7. Pearce
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Merrin
11. Bird
12. Cordner
13. Gallen

14. Fifita
15. Watmough
16. Tamou
17. Lewis

Swarzey

Bench
Might as well after the rep weekend. Can't be as bad as some

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Idris
5. Mead
6. Mullen
7. Pearce
8. Tamou
9. Farah
10. Woods
11. Cordner
12. Bird
13. Gallen

14. Merrin
15. Scott
16. Fifita/Watmough/G. Stewart
17. J. Reynolds/Bolter

That's the strongest side I can think of that unfortunately includes Pearce. I would like to see the 17 Jumper go to a bolter, being bias I did have Rochow in mind after today's effort but It's also a way to solve the whole Mullen vs Reynolds debate. Mullen isn't a utility, you can't play him anywhere outside the halves whereas Reynolds can relieve Farah for a short break on the bench. Someone like Rochow should otherwise be 18th man as the preparation for Origin will no doubt have a positive impact.

The 16 jumper just comes down to who's fit, healthy and playing well enough to justify selection.

dragonrickjs

Juniors
1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Hayne
4. Morris
5. Tupou
6. Mullen
7. J Reynolds
8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. Fifita
11. Cordner
12. Graham
13. Bird
14. Merrin
15. Watmough
16. Tamou
17. Woods

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Might as well after the rep weekend. Can't be as bad as some

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Idris
5. Mead
6. Mullen
7. Pearce
8. Tamou
9. Farah
10. Woods
11. Cordner
12. Bird
13. Gallen

14. Merrin
15. Scott
16. Fifita/Watmough/G. Stewart
17. J. Reynolds/Bolter

That's the strongest side I can think of that unfortunately includes Pearce. I would like to see the 17 Jumper go to a bolter, being bias I did have Rochow in mind after today's effort but It's also a way to solve the whole Mullen vs Reynolds debate. Mullen isn't a utility, you can't play him anywhere outside the halves whereas Reynolds can relieve Farah for a short break on the bench. Someone like Rochow should otherwise be 18th man as the preparation for Origin will no doubt have a positive impact.

The 16 jumper just comes down to who's fit, healthy and playing well enough to justify selection.
Fifita should be one of the first forwards picked, he's a must.

Scott would be pretty useless on the bench, he's a starter or nothing IMO. He wouldn't provide much impact.

G Stewart has always been a myth in Origin, I reckon.

TheFrog

Coach
.... but for mine Grant should get another go first. He was great in 2012. But we know our selectors don't like blokes who actually perform in Blue.

Grant's form is poor to average. Last year when his form was good he was overlooked. Daley doesn't appear to rate him.

mxlegend99

Referee
1. Hayne
2. Tupou (give us a target on the wing, has a combination with jennings)
3. Jennings
4. Idris (good form and has the size to match Inglis)
5. B. Morris (plays right in rep footy and does well.)
6. Mullen
7. Pearce (wouldnt pick him, but given he's a certainty there's no point looking elsewhere)
8. Woods
9. Farah / Peats
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Cordner
13. Gallen (c)

14. Fifita
15. Merrin
16. Watmough
17. Lewis (should be fit and fired up)

Tayjack

Juniors
1. Dugan - origin player has to be there, can't play him anywhere ele.
2. Tupou - built like Dugan - very awkward to tackle
3. Jennings
4. Hayne
5. B Morris
6. J Mullen - no one else ATM , would have carney if fit and match fit
7. Pearce
13. Bird
12. Gallen
11. Watmough
10. Fifita
9. Farah
8. Tamou

14. Lewis
15. Merrin
16. R James - blood him now won't take a backward step.
17. Gidley - has to be there if farah gets injured.

Joely01

Bench
Can't believe the amount of people not picking Hayne at fullback....

For mine he is the first picked, and at fullback...

You have seriously lost your f**king marbles. Bird is without doubt or question the best back rower in the comp along with Gallen. Case closed.

I think you're blind, Cordner is the form back rower in the competition. Merrin, Watmough, Cordner, Gallen, Manu Ma'u, Matt Gilett are all playing better than Bird in the NRL. The Titans are playing well, but they play good all around, if anyone is standing out for them it's Kelly and Mead

We lost game 3. I'd certainly hope our interchange forwards would make an impact coming form the bench as that is their role. They're coming on when other players are a little tired yeh?

Are you seriously suggesting Greg Bird's form for the Titans this year has been poor? Are you seriously suggesting Bird would be lucky to be picked for NSW????

Um yeah. A half backs job is meant to put players into space, get field position and guide the team around. Does Pearce do all that? We lost that game, but Watmough was excellent in that game. just because we lost doesn't mean we didn't have any amazing performances. Was Jarryd Hayne terrible in losing origin games?

I think you should re-read what I wrote, read it nice and slow so you can understand what I'm saying but just in case you can't do that I'll try writting it in a simpler way for you. NSW has amazing depth in the back row. There are many back rowers going around in the NRL who are looking more impressive than him and if you were only looking at performances in the NRL and picking your back row, Greg Bird could miss out with the likes of Gallen, Watmough, Merrin, Cordner, Stewart, Sims being in the form that they are in BUT we know that we it comes to origin time, Greg Bird goes up 20 gears so regardless of form in the NRL and of other players, Greg Bird HAS to be there.

Tayjack

Juniors
I think you're blind, Cordner is the form backrower in the competition. Merrin, Watmough, Cordner, Gallen, Manu Ma'u, Matt Gilett are all playing better than Bird in the NRL. The Titans are playing well, but they play good all around, if anyone is standing out for them it's Kelly and Mead

Bahahahahahaha - this would nearly be the dumbest thing I've read ever. What on earth is wrong with u? How has he???? He's not even close, are u serious?

Bahahahahahaha - this would nearly be the dumbest thing I've read ever. What on earth is wrong with u? How has he???? He's not even close, are u serious?

guess you must have missed him carving up in a struggling roosters outfit in the last few weeks. If he's not it, he's close to it, why else was he the first back rower who got called up when an injury occurred to two established back rowers in Watmough and Lewis?

natheel

Coach
Hayne at fullback!

The reason he is at centre for Australia is because he has 2 fullbacks in front of him

No fullback is better than him in NSW at the moment.

1. Hayne
2. Taufua
3. Jennings
4. Morris
5. Morris
6. Mullen
7. Pearce
8. Fifita
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Cordner
13. Gallen
14. Merrin
15. Sims
16. Woods (last chance)
17. Watmough
18. Peats (cover for Farah)

I'd be tempted to put Tupou on the wing for his height

Bring in Tariq Sims he can play prop and back row wouldn't do anything wrong.

Peats as 18th man for if Farah is unfit. Why use a utility when you have a capable 80 minute hooker. We should use a big mobile bench

I think Reynolds is worthy of a shot but I think Mullen offers more variety in his game. We know Pearce is auto picked but I'd rather see

6. Reynolds
7. Mullen

Last edited:

natheel

Coach
Hopoate did shit all compared to Mead

Hopoate
Tries: 1
Metres: 163
Runs: 15
Tackles: 15
Missed: 2
Try Assists: 1
Offload: 1

Mead
Tries: 2
Metres: 128
Runs: 15
Tackles: 8
Missed: 3
Try Assists: 0
Offload: 1

Apart from scoring an extra try Hoppa was ahead in stats mate. Plus Hopoate is just so calm under pressure. Look at his try and his try assist to Tupou for his try in the corner. He is built for origin football. Only thing stopping him this year is his lack of pace but he will get that back

1. Hayne
2. Taufua
3. J. Morris
4. Idris
5. B. Morris
6. Mullen
7. Pearce (will be there unfortunately)
8. Gallen
9. Farrah
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Lewis (Cordner if not fit)
13. Merrin

14, Watmough
15. Sims
16. Fifita
17. Kelly (Peats if not fit)

I have absolutely no idea how Daley could possibly justify selecting Maloney. His form has been way down plus he is injured and may have have a couple games under his belt before game 1. His selection would be even less justified if Maloney puts in a few average performances prior to origin.

Are the selectors and Daley truly this blind? I reckon 80% of people in this thread are calling for Mullen and are basing that on what Mullen can bring to the team. His long kicking game is the best in the NRL, last season he averaged more kick metres than any other half. His long passing game is sublime. His defence is unquestionable. Mullen has an excellent step and ability to break the line. The one and only thing that Maloney has over Mullen is goal kicking. That is it! I just can not fathom how Maloney can be anywhere near contention.

maple_69

Bench
I think most of these teams are pretty on the money.
1. Hayne- he is our best god damn player, put him in the most important position
2. Taufau- he's been the best winger over the last few years in the NRL
3. Jennings- Idris if not fit
4. Morris- I'd switch him to join Brett if Idris comes in so the biggest human in the world can look after Inglis
5. Morris
6. Mullen- he's the best half in NSW
7. Pearce- I think Mullen/Carney is our best chance of winning a series but hey who needs that
8. Woods- big ticker, better off starting
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Gallen
14. Cordner
15. Merrin
16. Fafita
17. Watmong

We haven't been far from QLD for the last two years. With a half that knows what they're doing, Hayne at the back and no wasted spots on the bench as well as the big 3 ageing we'll be a shot. Decider in QLD is going to take a big game from one of our halves and Pearce, Maloney, Reynolds, Reynolds can't offer that at this level.