What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team for Game 3 announced

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Pearce set for Origin shock

June 23, 2008 DESPERATE New South Wales selectors look set to roll the dice and throw Sydney Roosters teen Mitchell Pearce into the half-back hotseat for next month's Origin decider.
Pearce looms as the selection bolter with the Blues still reeling from a heavy game two defeat and the unavailability of backline stars Peter Wallace, Greg Bird and Mark Gasnier.

Sources close to the NSW camp claim 19-year-old Pearce will be named to partner Roosters teammate Braith Anasta in the halves when the side is announced in Sydney Tuesday morning.

Blues selectors are hoping their club combination will help ignite a Blues backline rendered redundant in Origin II at Suncorp Stadium.

Pearce's inclusion would see him emulate the deeds of his famous father Wayne Pearce, who pulled on the sky blue 15 times and remains the only man to captain and coach the Blues to series wins.

The Roosters youngster may not provide the only shock with Cronulla centre Ben Pomeroy believed to be a strong chance of beating out Joel Monaghan for a berth in the centres.

St George Illawarra medical officials claimed Gasnier was no chance of coming up in time for the July 2 encounter.

Bird was today ruled out for 2-3 weeks as a result of a ruptured posterior capsule and bone bruising in his left knee, the Cronulla lock devastated when delivered the news.

"It's pretty disappointing, hopefully the boys will get the job done next week," Bird said.

"When it first happened and I was on the ground, that (Origin III) was all I was really thinking about.

"I was pretty hopeful (this morning), it hadn't swelled up too much, it didn't feel too bad, I was walking around this morning.

"But the way the injury is, if it was too rushed, it could go the other way and keep me out longer.

Wallace ran at Broncos training and was still seeking a medical clearance in a bid to prove he had recovered from surgery to repair a ruptured testicle.

Despite Wallace's confidence, it is believed Blues selectors are concerned that the game one hero would not be able to do any contact work until next week, while it would also have been three weeks between games for the 22-year-old by the time Origin III rolled around.

"It's fine. It feels good and there's no pain," Wallace said.

"Hopefully the coach and medical staff will be happy to let me do that (avoid contact work until next week).

"I'm keen to play. I thought I went okay in the second game."

In the forwards, Newcastle prop Ben Cross looks likely to be reinstated to the front row after missing game two with a broken thumb.

It would present a show of faith by Blues selectors with Manly's Test front rower Brent Kite and departing Dragon Jason Ryles arguably both in better form than the Knights hard man.

Just who will drop out is less clear, with Steve Simpson, Anthony Tupou, Anthony Laffranchi and Craig Fitzgibbon all battling it out for the final three places on the interchange bench alongside Kurt Gidley.

Once again Fitzgibbon's chances of re-selection are boosted by his goalkicking ability, with second string kickers Gasnier and Wallace both set to miss out.

The other change should see Jarryd Hayne return to the wing in place of Steve Turner, Hayne having been ruled out of game two due to suspension.

AAP

as much as i hate to say it i think we will struggle to score points without gaz. as far as a replacment goes i think if he is out we need to bring in a winger (maybe monaghan definately not turner) and move hayne to the centres for a bit of atacking flair

i also think that keeping cross and white will be at our own peril as there as a number of props in better from- bailey (Although maybe injured tonight), kite, shrek, ryles i think would all do a better job then these two that apear to have gone missing way to often and are nowhere near the class of petro and price

as far as pearce and anaster go i think if wallace is out then that proabably our best option

thoughts?

Yosh

Coach
Hm.... Honestly I dont mind Pearce/Anasta... DO not want to see Cross ther but, Ryles or Bailey FTW!!!

Mr Saab

Referee
If QLD dont win game three then they will be throwing away the greatest chance of a threepeat ever.

Last edited:

bluey

Bench
Well i do not have any idea what mullen has done wrong, If he is not a better player than pearce right now ,fair dinkum

macavity

Referee
Pearce was outplayed by Mullen on the weekend. Only Gary Freeman would disagree.

a famous name goes a long way, huh.

oh, and Cross does not deserve to be there. has been our second worst prop this year, just ahead of Wicks.

NthKnight

Pearce was outplayed by Mullen on the weekend. Only Gary Freeman would disagree.

a famous name goes a long way, huh.

oh, and Cross does not deserve to be there. has been our second worst prop this year, just ahead of Wicks.

What is NSW loss is our gain TBH.

Im happy going into the Manly game with Simmo and Mullo available and at this stage losing Cross is neither here nor there.

D

Deleted member 10972

I would have picked Creagh over Fitzy (but Fitzy's kicking comes into the equation), and Kite, O'Meley or Ryles instead of Cross, who was poor v Roosters.