What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW u18s

Panther_Daz

Staff member
1.Fullback Lachlan Coote Penrith
2.Wing Matthew Wright Penrith
3.Centre Jarrod Croker Canberra
4.Centre Josh Dugan Canberra
5.Wing Peter Mata’utia Newcastle

6.Five-eighth Albert Kelly Parramatta

7.Halfback Wade Graham Penrith

8.Front Row Mitchel Johnson Parramatta

9.Hooker Liam Higgins Newcastle

10.Front Row Tom Hancock St George Illawarra

11.Second Row Tim Auremi Parramatta

12.Second Row Dominic Walsh South Sydney

13.Lock Matthew Mundine St George Illawarra

14.Interchange Nathan Massey Bulldogs

15.Interchange Mark Nicholls Canberra

16.Interchange Evrett Vaurasi Penrith

17.Interchange James Cunningham Manly

Coach

Joe Grima

Parramatta

Manager

Wayne Mortimer

Newcastle

Last edited:

Stuart

Juniors
1.Fullback Lachlan Coote Penrith

2.Wing Matthew Wright Penrith
3.Centre Jarrod Croker Canberra
4.Centre Josh Dugan Canberra
5.Wing Peter Mata’utia Newcastle

6.Five-eighth Albert Kelly Parramatta

7.Halfback Wade Graham Penrith

8.Front Row Mitchel Johnson Parramatta

9.Hooker Liam Higgins Newcastle

10.Front Row Tom Han**** St George Illawarra

11.Second Row Tim Auremi Parramatta

12.Second Row Dominic Walsh South Sydney

13.Lock Matthew Mundine St George Illawarra

14.Interchange Nathan Massey Bulldogs

15.Interchange Mark Nicholls Canberra

16.Interchange Evrett Vaurasi Penrith

17.Interchange James Cunningham Manly

Coach

Joe Grima

Parramatta

Manager

Wayne Mortimer

Newcastle

Is this the official side?

girvie

Staff member
It's a strong side.

Pretty close to what i selected.

I thought Travis Roche and Jamal Idris would have been in there somewhere but the backs are still very strong.

Can someone tell me more about Liam Higgins.

roopy

Referee
Can someone tell me more about Liam Higgins.

Knights players selected - Peter Mata'utia (who loves his footy) and Liam Higgins.
PeterMatautai.jpg

Higgins usually starts from the bench and is a little bit small and not the strongest defender, although he has a go. He has great vision and mixes up really good runs, a few kicks, and switching the play around a fair bit. He isn't a predictable dummy half who just shovels out the ball, and rarely takes poor options. Basically he is a quality hooker, but a bit more size would make him a better one.

grajohn

Juniors
Just a little tip for you Girvie most 21 year olds and under
these days have there own Myspace pages. I have found out
a lot about these guys from there own personal pages.A lot of
these guys have heaps of photos of themselves playing footy
as well as just regular photos.I hope this helps a lot

MuleEel

Juniors
Anyone else think Dominic Walsh is over rated? Cant say I've ever been overly impressed with him.
Higgins is a very clever hooker who appears to be quite fast. Saw him score almost length of the field try against Wests in the SG BAll (went around everyone) at Marathon.

roopy

Referee
<H1>Junior Knights pair named for Origin curtain-raiser

</H1>BY BRETT KEEBLE

30/05/2008 9:00:00 PM

IT has been a big week for Knights SG Ball winger Peter Mata'Utia and hooker Liam Higgins after they were named yesterday in the NSW under-18 team to play Queensland in the Origin II curtain-raiser at Suncorp Stadium on June 11.

Mata'Utia (NSW Combined High Schools) and Higgins (NSW Combined Catholic Colleges) were also selected in their respective teams for the Australian open schoolboys championships in Darwin from July 13 to 18.

Those teams were announced after trials this week at Toronto. The Knights will be well represented in the NSWCHS and NSWCCC open and 15 years teams.

Joining Mata'Utia in the opens will be fellow Hunter Sports High School students and Knights juniors Ethan Cook, Chris Marlborough and Dane Cordner.

Higgins, the son of former Newcastle representative captain and coach Craig Higgins, is from All Saints Maitland (St Mary's Campus). Other Knights juniors in NSWCCC are Boyd Cordner (St Clare's Taree) and Scott Dunn (St Joseph's Aberdeen).

Jay Stevens, from All Saints Maitland (St Mary's) but not a Knights junior, will also represent NSWCCC at Darwin.

Hunter Sports High students Pat Mata'Utia, Jason Savin, Daniel Foster, Kurt Warden and Gene Brown, and Merewether High's Jeremy Maa will represent NSWCHS at the 15 years national titles at Wynnum from June 29 to July 4.

Brown is the younger brother of Roosters and former Knights utility Riley Brown and Knights NYC hooker Joel Brown.

Adam Clydesdale (St Joseph's Aberdeen), the grandson of former Maitland international Don "Bandy" Adams, made the NSWCCC 15 years side. One of his teammates will be Shay Padberg, a former North Sydney junior from All Saints Maitland (Lochinvar Campus). All those players, plus Knights and NSW under 16s five-eighth Tyler Sullivan, will be presented to the crowd before tonight's Knights-Warriors game at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

Knights scholarship holder Mitch Barnes, who attends Kirwan State High in Townsville, was selected in the Queensland Schools team for the open championships in Darwin.
An Australian Schoolboys team will be selected after that tournament to play two internationals against the Great Britain Academy and one against a French Schoolboys team in Australia in August.

http://theherald.yourguide.com.au/n...ir-named-for-origin-curtainraiser/780416.aspx

rambo1

Juniors
While I expected to see Albert Kelly prominent in selection discussions, I am surprised he was selected in front of Girvie's nominee Kieran Foran, whose form for Manly has been good in the NYC after representing Australian Schoolboys last year. Either the selectors have a big opinion of Kelly (under 17) or perhaps Foran was ineligible because he is under 19 this year. Does anyone know?

roopy

Referee
Gotta be impressed by Jeremy Maa being selected in the 15s. He was too big for Mathews this year, being the top tryscorer for the Knights till he missed the last few games of the season, just on the strength of being unstoppable anywhere near the line - and according to that article the giant, very mobile, very fit islander kid also goes to a selective high school (non sports). I'd like to see him run a bit more at the other forwards next year, but his running wide this year must have given centres and wingers nightmares.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Won 34-12.Matthew Wright hattrick....Anyone know who was MOM and what other players were good?

Bow_rider

Juniors
Penrith Half was outstanding.to good for them at that age.Coote will be another Lockie.Get your cheque books out Penrith.Parra second rower very good alsoThe two centres also looked the goods.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Penrith Half was outstanding.to good for them at that age.Coote will be another Lockie.Get your cheque books out Penrith.Parra second rower very good alsoThe two centres also looked the goods.

do you know how the Queensland second rower went - Pat O'Hanlon

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Great to see Coote and Graham had blinders yet again for NSW. They are locked up at Penrith and will lead us to a premiership sometime in their careers!