What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Under 16's and 18's 2012

half_back

Juniors
With the success of the Tigers this year, having any less than 4 or 5 players in the side would not reflect the quality of the team. Mason Farrell for one has to be in the side at fullback.

4 would be the absolute maximum I think. Newcastle had 4 last year after winning the comp and they had some real stand outs. No disrespect to Tigers I thought they were a fantastic team which was well coached and made the most of what they had. Thought Moses and Cherrington were standouts after that they will probably get 1 or 2 extra in for winning comp.

Don't think you can pick both gutherson and Farrell both have the same versatility and essentially could play anywhere in the back line. With the size of QLD you need size on bench. Pauli and Lolo cover front row Goodall covers back row and outside backs and front row if necessary originally went with funaki ad he played hooker a year young in Matt's and could cover there if needed.

Reamer

Juniors
4 would be the absolute maximum I think. Newcastle had 4 last year after winning the comp and they had some real stand outs. No disrespect to Tigers I thought they were a fantastic team which was well coached and made the most of what they had. Thought Moses and Cherrington were standouts after that they will probably get 1 or 2 extra in for winning comp.

i agree with you any more than 4 payers would be a bit ridiculous, The tigers this year were a very good team collectively. Other than mitchell moses there were no absolute shoe-ins although I'm sure a couple will get in my guess is Moses + 2-3.

All Teams - Ladder After Round 9 - NSW Members

1st Tigers (3-4) Moses , Cherrington/farrel/funaki/Ravkin

2nd (2)Souths probably 2 Tyrone Phillips, Maybe Dylan Walker/ Lolo twin

3rd (2) Manly probably 2 Trobojevic cause he made it last year and Gutherson/Natoli/Goodall

4th (0-1)Canberra's best players were all Queenslanders (Anthony Milford, Brenko Lee etc)so would think they would 0 maybe 1 in for equality.

5th Panthers (2) Panthers probably deserve 2 Cartwright/Lavaka/Smith/Watene-Zelezniak

6th Bulldogs (1) No idea

7th Roosters (0-1) Best players Queenslanders so unsure if they deserve any

8th Cronulla (1) Dibley on the wing only contender

CRL (1-2)

Rest of teams (1)
- Euan Aitken Illawarra (year young)
- Waka Blake WA ( no idea if he is eligibly doubt it)

NYC players (3)
Parramatta Kelepi/Frazier
Bulldogs Fualolo
Melborune Richard Kennar (as i mentioned before i don't rate him saw dibley from cronulla push him over easily to score, all I've seen of him)

Feel free to comment

Panther_Daz

Staff member
This was the NSW Under 16's side from 2010.

Tyrone Phillips- South Sydney
Clinton Gutherson - Manly
Joshua Walker - Penrith
Alan Niulesa - Bulldogs
Richard Kennar - Melbourne Storm
Jack Bird - Illawarra
Shannon Crook - Illawarra
Bryce Cartwright - Penrith
Jake Lawrence - Newcastle
Kelepi Tanginoa - Parramatta
Jake Trbojevic - Manly
Fabian Natoli - Manly
Frazer Masinamua - Parramatta

Robbie Kamoto - Parramatta
Chad McGill - Parramatta
Jakiel Fuimaono - Penrith
Wiki Tuavao - Penrith

From the Penrith guys Cartwright should make it again, Walker has fallen away, Tuavao and Fuimaono unfortunately don't play Footy anymore.

Scorcher

Juniors
Reamer, Looks somewhere near it should be. Though there are always a couple of surprises and a couple of players left out who most think will be picked but all in all shouldn't be too far off.

Scorcher

Juniors
This was the NSW Under 16's side from 2010.

Tyrone Phillips- South Sydney Yes
Clinton Gutherson - Manly Yes
Joshua Walker - Penrith No
Alan Niulesa - Bulldogs No
Richard Kennar - Melbourne Storm Maybe
Jack Bird - Illawarra No
Shannon Crook - Illawarra No
Bryce Cartwright - Penrith Yes
Jake Lawrence - Newcastle No
Kelepi Tanginoa - Parramatta Yes
Jake Trbojevic - Manly Yes
Fabian Natoli - Manly Maybe
Frazer Masinamua - Parramatta Yes

Robbie Kamoto - Parramatta Maybe
Chad McGill - Parramatta No
Jakiel Fuimaono - Penrith No
Wiki Tuavao - Penrith No

From the Penrith guys Cartwright should make it again, Walker has fallen away, Tuavao and Fuimaono unfortunately don't play Footy anymore.

6 Yes's and 3 Maybe's IMO from this team.

Last edited:

ranga

Juniors
If Crook is chosen at half NSW is no chance. Bird, best junior I have seen in years but his career could be over.

This is were we fall down,Bird is a good player ,but he isnt a 5/8 and thats where he was picked in the 16s. The best side should be picked ,not the best players from individual clubs. He isnt better than the lock they had that year and certainly wasnt the best 5/8 , he should have been on the bench at best, I watched him play against Penrith in the semis that year and he was out played by Cartwright that day , to many politics involved for me,

Reamer

Juniors
This is who i would pick in my U18 NSW team and why.

1. Clinton Gutherson- (Manly) - did alot for manly this year, a very classy player and has had NYC experience.
2. Mason Farrel - (Tigers) - Not in his preferred position but i think he deserves to be in this team after the year he has had and I'm sure he could do the job on the wing.
3. Tyrone Phillips - (Souths) - Played NSW before and NYC last 2 years has big game experience. Knows how to score tries.
4. Halaufa Lavaka - (Penrith) - hasn't had the best year in the world. But i think he is up to this level scored 3 tries in last years sg ball grand final . Played awesome in parts just needs to switch on. Will be a handful for queensland if picked and provides good size.
5. Finlay Dibley - ( Cronulla) - Tall, strong and knows how to score tries. Has played 3 games of NYC, 3 tries already. Havnt seen anybody better in the air then this kid in the competition.
6. Mitchell Moses - (Tigers) - First person picked for this team. SG ball player of the year IMO. led his team too win the grand final. enough said.
7. Dylan Walker - (Souths) - had a good year for souths at five eight. was the creator of the majority of souths attack and i think they deserve a few players in this nsw team.
8. Jake Trobojevic - ( Manly)- seen him on TV in NYC can match it with blokes 3 years older than him big strong played this already.
9. Manaia Cherrington- (Tigers) - in my books completely equal with natoli from manly but this kid gets the edge because his team won the grandfinal and he deserves it. Quick and knows when to jump from hooker.
10. Frazier Masimuna -(Eels) - Good enough that he didn't play any SG ball straight into NYC has played most of the games too. Competes with 20 year olds, can compete with 18 year olds.
11. Kelepi Tanginoa - (Eels)- Watching his youtube video was enough for me haha. Plays 20's all year same as his team mate above.
12. Salesi Funaki - (Tigers)- was a handful to tackle for the tigers this year deserves to be in this.
13. Bryce Cartwright - (Penrith) - has the skill to play halfback for Penrith, has a good set of skills but id like to see him do a bit of the harder work. Half Back in a forwards body.Good Utility Value.

Ill let the selectors work out the rest ahah
14. Euan Aitken (Illawarra)- yep hes a year young so what,had an outstanding year. i don't discriminate against age he is good enough for the team so should be picked in the team. Good utility Value.
15. Fabian Goodall (Manly)- good size coming off the bench has played NYC had a food season.
16. Pauli Pauli ( Eels) - NYC player, can play second row or front row coming of the bench.
17.CRL
18.CRL

Tigers = 4
Manly = 3
Eels = 3
Penrith = 2
Souths =2
CRL =2
Cronulla =1
Illawarra=1
Total = 18

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
13. Bryce Cartwright - (Penrith) - has the skill to play halfback for Penrith, has a good set of skills but id like to see him do a bit of the harder work. Half Back in a forwards body.Good Utility Value.

Very good post on Bryce. In SG Ball he is the star and plays about 4 different positions in one set of 6. He played the finals series in the 7 jersey.

In the 20's he has been really good because he just plays second row. With Harry Siejka and the older boys running the show Bryce just needs to worry about running and tackling hard, and he is doing a great job.

Reamer

Juniors
I agree he needs to focus on one position reminds me of Luke Lewis. Of what I watched he only looked for the ball at the end of sets when the team had a roll on. If he plays lock he needs to worry about doing the hard Hitups and tackling then worry about adding the skillfull stuff into his game after wards

Tucantango

Juniors
Reamer,

If Finlay Dibley is picked in the 18's it will be a travesty. I'm sorry but because you push over Richard Kennar once, and are selected for your clubs NYC team doesn't make you the best player for selection. I know of dozens of boys that opt not to play NYC because this is the year when they are concentrating on school!

Don't get me wrong, I have seen Dibley play. In fact I first seen him when he was selected for the Sydney East Rugby Union team in 2006. He did alright then and he is doing alright now, however the sharks got found out in the business end of the season in the SG Ball comp and that will detract from his status as he too was a member of this team from my understanding!

Regards,
Tuc

Scorcher

Juniors
Reamer,

If Finlay Dibley is picked in the 18's it will be a travesty. I'm sorry but because you push over Richard Kennar once, and are selected for your clubs NYC team doesn't make you the best player for selection. I know of dozens of boys that opt not to play NYC because this is the year when they are concentrating on school!

Don't get me wrong, I have seen Dibley play. In fact I first seen him when he was selected for the Sydney East Rugby Union team in 2006. He did alright then and he is doing alright now, however the sharks got found out in the business end of the season in the SG Ball comp and that will detract from his status as he too was a member of this team from my understanding!

Regards,
Tuc

I agree with Tuc, rep squads like this should be a reward for those players who have excelled throught this season, talk of giving kids ago because they have performed at rep level previously or that they should be picked because of their size annoys me. The best performing players throughout this season and finals series should be given the oppotunity that they desrve.

Reamer

Juniors
Reamer,

Regards,
Tuc

Tuc i agree with part of what you say, the bit about the team not performing will defiantly detract from his chances. However they finished 8th and looking at previous years they may be able to get 1 player in. Last years cronulla finished 8th and got 2 in. Just because his teamed performed badly does not mean he did. He had the most hit ups of any body on the field against Penrith in the semis from the wing.The bit about richard kennar i was only saying that because if you look back kennar is repeatedly mentioned on this forum and dibley s better, so I'm just saying he must be picked if its out of the two.
And Yes he was infact selected in 2006 for that team, did you know he went on to be the fullback for the NsW team that year, beating the likes of clinton gutherson for that spot?Any way that is irrelevant as it was 6 years ago.

A travesty? hardly i wouldn't be surprised at all if he was picked.
- Leading try scorer for cronulla and near the top in the comp 10 from 10 games.
- Cronullas SG ball player of the year from the wing which is no easy assignment.(i googled it)
- Has been named 4 NYC games in a row which he has scored in all of them.
- He has size which NSW selectors like. That will be on his side as he 6'3. I personally believe size means nothing but he is good in the air and the selectors will like that.

Reamer

Juniors
I agree with Tuc, rep squads like this should be a reward for those players who have excelled throught this season, talk of giving kids ago because they have performed at rep level previously or that they should be picked because of their size annoys me. The best performing players throughout this season and finals series should be given the oppotunity that they desrve.

The things is i agree with you, you must have misunderstood me. That is what i am trying to say, previous rep teams mean absolutely nothing hence why kennar NSW 16's shouldn't even be mentioned here. Dibley actually performed this year that is why he was cronulla player of the year.

Scorcher

Juniors
The things is i agree with you, you must have misunderstood me. That is what i am trying to say, previous rep teams mean absolutely nothing hence why kennar NSW 16's shouldn't even be mentioned here. Dibley actually performed this year that is why he was cronulla player of the year.

That comment was pointed at you or anyone in particular, TBH I can't comment on Dibley as I only have seen him play 1 game and didn't really notice how he played. I was agreeing with Tuc that reputation, history and size shouldn't be the main criteria for selection.

Reamer

Juniors
That comment was pointed at you or anyone in particular, TBH I can't comment on Dibley as I only have seen him play 1 game and didn't really notice how he played. I was agreeing with Tuc that reputation, history and size shouldn't be the main criteria for selection.

fair enough. Yeh i was just justifying my selection choices, its easy for tuc to criticise why some one should not be chosen, but id like to see him come up with the wingers he would choose!

half_back

Juniors
It's easy to say that size past experience shouldn't come into it although they are selecting a team to win the match. Hence versatility and utility value will come into it and size will definitely be a factor also as QLD traditionally pick big sizes. I hope and don't think past experience comes into it as the selection panel views each games and awards a tick to those who are deemed to have excelled. Then choose the make up of the teams based on overall performance and suitability to win the match. If this was a merit team and didn't play anyone like the NYC team of the year then I agree pick those that have had great years. But it's not, difficulty is also that teams like parra now play their best up in NYC from day one so winning the comp or indeed playing well might not be enough as someone in a 20s squad (and I don't think it should guarantee automatic selection) might be at a higher level. So guys like the parra players, fualolo from the dogs, haika from manly etc haven't had the chance to excel or be dominant in their own age group.

As Reamer said would be alot easy to debate if everyone wanted to put up their teams unfortunately very few have.

Last edited:

possum

Answer for your information Jack Bird is out with a knee reco , and he has just turned 17 so 2010 he was just 15 years old , 2011 he was 16 and was by far the most out standing player in the Harold Mats Comp
All i can say if he wasn't out, the Steelers would have been a better side this year as they have got nothing and it showed how poorly they are with out the Leadership of Bird. There other so called great players never stood up

drago brelli

Bench
Fill me in here possum, I heard Bird has juvenile arthritis in one of his knees. Yes, he turned 17 this year as did most of the Steelers SG Ball team. They will be really good in 2013, all they need is some size but that doesn't seem to bother those guys too much.

Latest posts