What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSWRL media release - 2008 competition structure

girvie

Staff member
MEDIA RELEASE

The New South Wales Rugby League will use the emergence of the National Under-20s competition (Toyota Cup) as an opportunity to create an independent open-aged competition focusing on returning top level Rugby League to suburban grounds.

In the months that the National Under-20s has been in planning, the NSWRL has canvassed a range of options for its competitions structure, ranging from new opportunities at the Under-16 and Under-18 level, and an open-aged competition that will recapture the spirit of traditional clubs battling it out on a weekly basis.

Clubs such as Wests, Balmain, Newtown, Auckland and Norths have indicated their desire to be involved in this standalone competition – which will replace the VB Premier League – and a majority of NSW National Rugby League clubs have indicated their involvement through a joint venture method or otherwise.

The advent of the new open-aged competition, the expansion of the junior representatives and the niche-filling Jim Beam Cup competition will see the NSWRL provide opportunities for every level of footballer;
·
The best Under-16s Harold Matthews and Under-18s SG Ball teams to compete with their Queensland counterparts for “National champion” status from 2008 onwards, with the added incentive of potential selection in Australian U16 and U18 sides to play New Zealand each year.

· The open-aged competition to provide the best players outside NRL level, playing at local and traditional venues which will often be vacated due to NRL away games.

· A semi-professional Jim Beam Cup competition that gives players an opportunity to play at the best of their abilities without the requirement of full-time commitment.

“We’ve been given a chance to streamline our competitions and further improve the pathways we already have for kids wanting to progress through to elite level football,” NSWRL General Manager Geoff Carr said.

“We had feedback from many clubs that a credible open-aged competition is very important, and with the Toyota Cup, in most cases, providing the only fixture prior to an NRL clash, there is a real opportunity to develop this competition through playing stand-alone fixtures and double-headers.

“If games are programmed correctly, we can take advantage of situations where, for instance, Wests Tigers might be playing away, so a Wests versus Balmain clash could be scheduled at Leichhardt Oval – to provide credible suburban football to Sydney rugby league fans.”

“The Jim Beam Cup was never intended to breach the gap between an Under-20s and open-aged competition – it is a unique competition with a $150,000 salary cap that is designed to ensure teams are not stacked.”

In conclusion, the NSWRL will now allow a period of time for clubs to complete negotiations for joint ventures, before finalising its competition structures.

2 True Blues

Coach
That explains the draw this year. Shortage of P/L games prior to the main games, thought it was no coincidence, wheening people of it slowly the season before.

I like the sound of this, hopefully the NSWRL can promote it properly and heaven forbid get the open age PL replacement on the ABC, thus giving non-NRL fans a peoper competition to follow. At the moment the PL is still living in the shadow of the NRL, and if we do the following it should reinvigerate the stand along clubs, Newtown, Balmain, Norths etc and bring more fans through the gate.

1) Get the game onto the ABC.
2) Have the NSWRL promote the game as an alternative to the razzle-dazzle of the NRL.
3) If possible standardise the kick off times, ie Saturday at 3pm.
4) Local teams for local people - reintoduce the local rivalry, imagine Norths and Manly at Brooky in stand along fixture on a day that the NRL side is not playing to maximise the Manly crowd.
5) A season ticket that allows entry into all stand alone fixtures, regardless of clubs playing for about $100, thus generating more interest into the stand alone comp.
6) More coverage in the media, easier said than done but it can be done if we the fans demand it.

Bluebag

Juniors
All fans should ask their relevant clubs to ask the league for more tv coverage on the ABC on Saturdays.
More coverage means more exposure and more sponsorship.
The league should buy a 1/2 page every Tuesday with scores, table and small reports on game of the round.
The league is a rabble and even the state soccer advertises but not our mob.
As far as a single ticket for all games, how do clubs get money from the breakup of dollars and it would amount to less than $10 per club per ticket. Running a club is not cheap and that would not help. Perhaps discounts at away games for club season ticket holders may be better but all games are pretty cheap unless its before an NRL match.

PJ MARSH was watching the GF at Parra leagues and told people that it was the best game of footy he had seen in years and much better than the NRL game. Big wrap.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I watched last years grand final and enjoyed it. It was a great game of football and great to see Parramatta doing battle with Newtown in a grandfinal again.

I always make sure that I don't miss the Premier League and can't believe the stupid fans that just turn up 5 minutes before the NRL kick off.

Still stand alone fixtures is not my preferred option. I will pay for my 12 home games as a season ticket holder but not get to see my favourite side. I wonder whether they could have a premier league season ticket and a discount for NRL season ticket holders.

well stand alone prem lge games are MY preferred option. hate having to pay full nrl price to see the jets play second fiddle some micky mouse out of town team.

give me newtown vs. balmain/norths/wests/canterbury @ belmore as stand alone games with none of my money going to the nrl.

like bluebag said get the game into the papers and onto the abc. then i think there would be an increase in interest into the game and this would mean more money to the clubs etc etc.

not sure about the season ticket idea for the whole comp but how about if you got a season ticket at yoru club you got free entry into your teams away games ? or at the very least youd get a cheaper entry price.

davidn

Juniors
Question..The nswrl stated that the best of the harold matthews and sg ball teams would play their qld counterparts to then have a national winner with maybe the possibilitiy of a aust u16 and u18 teams to be selected. Does any one know what their proposed format for playing the qld counterparts is..will the broncos,titans and cowboys play a series to get a winner to then play the nsw winner or would the nsw winners play a series of games against the 3 qld teams to then get a winner. any ideas

steeden.

Juniors
The Queensland equivilant of Harold Matthews and SG Ball is the Under16s (made of local brisbane junior clubs, not Qld cup clubs) and the FOGS Colts Challenge (made up of SEQ based Queensland Cup teams).

davidn

Juniors
i am led to believe that the harold matthews(u16) and sg ball(u18) teams are a selected team after trials mostly from players from sattelite league clubs to represent their mother league in these respective comps which go for approx 12 weeks or more then go back to play for their respective clubs, if they are going to play a team or teams from the brisbane comp how would they be selected . A lot of the players in the harold matthews and sg ball are young players on contracts with that respective nrl club, the teams are supposedly ment to be at least 80% local district kids with an allowable 20% of import or out of area kids as there are some kids from qld playing in the comps then go back to there own comps at the completition of hmc and sg ball comps. That is why i thought that maybe their concept/idea was to play teams from the qld nrl teams made of their contractded u16 and u18 players which they have and again this would also help all with the preparation for their young players to enter the full on u20 comp.

mattystans000

Juniors
So basically this is what's going to happen from 2008 onwards:

• NRL matches to be preceded by Toyota Cup (U/20s) Matches of the same clubs/feeder clubs.

• A new Opens-Age Competition featuring traditional clubs such as Wests, Balmain, Newtown, Auckland ,Norths and possibly Illawarra and St. George if they choose to act as two entities, alongside all NSW based NRL Teams.

• The Champions of the Harold Matthews and SG Ball to play their QLD Champion counterparts.

• A semi-pro, non-full-time, Jim Beam Cup.

All of this is a great piece of continual improvement from the NSWRL. I would’ve liked the Toyota Cup to be the Opens-Age competition featuring all 16 NRL clubs AND the traditional clubs, Newtown, Norths, Wests, Balmain, Illawarra, St. George AND Auckland, Central Coast, Redcliffe and Wellington/Port Moresby. A total of 24 clubs of near-pro level, with proper scheduling, including possibly two Opens Matches before NRL matches for Split mergers and other variables, this could’ve been the thing to pump corporate money into and sell to TV. But as it is I like what they've done and it should prompt the NRL to rethink their programming as well for the Australian Centenary Year which will have the World Cup at the end of the year to think about.

roopy

Referee
I think there is a very good chance that Newcastle will use the local comp for open age competition - and Saints could use the Illawarra comp.

Copa

Bench
A new premier league style comp will also provide a place for NRL clubs that get the boot should the NRL expand to other states without exanding the number of teams in the NRL..