What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NT, does the nrl care?

T to the T

Juniors
Any plans for a NT/Darwin team in the Queensland Cup? Seems a good starter, I don't think the Top End will be ready for an NRL team in the next 50 years but having a team in a solid second tier should do a job!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Any plans for a NT/Darwin team in the Queensland Cup? Seems a good starter, I don't think the Top End will be ready for an NRL team in the next 50 years but having a team in a solid second tier should do a job!

it is far too expensive to run a competitive club in the second tier for expansion states. There is very little interest in second tier and therefore very little revenue.
In fact take away the pokie dens and there’d be hardly any heartland clubs left in the second tier!

taipan

Referee
If ever you needed any greater example of the difference between the commitment of afl to grow their game compared to nrl here it is. Nrl employs about 10 people in WA and we’d be one of the biggest outposts!

“Another 104 are employed at AFL NSW, 88 at AFL Queensland, 40 at AFLNT and 29 at AFL Tasmania – the majority of which work with local and grassroots competitions in those states.”

https://www.eaglesvine.com/sports/leaked-file-exposes-afls-staggering-115m-network/31311/

The AFL have more than 3 times the number of people at their head office now ,than they did when Demetriou was in charge.
McPoloneck is now going to slash and burn the staff numbers there for a starters they realise it was as bloated as b*ggery.
How many of these from other states for the AFL that will be chopped is anyone's guess.This is from a code that apparently gets it right all the time LOL.
Codes should spend within their means ,because not doing so can come back and burn you in the behind(1 point).

AS advised 24/8/20
McLahlan reveals huge loss for AFL $400m
au.sports.yahoo.com

The Age 24/8/20
AFL chops wood after revenue slump
20% staff across the country.
Gil of course made the announcement from his car to the clubs, such courage.

If ever one needs an excellent example of how to bloat costs ,that get your caught with your pants down in tough times, the AFL sets the standard.Although the ARU would beg to differ.
It cost them $60m to set up teams in Qld for COVID-19.
Had to borrow from their Bank loan(yes asset backed but still borrowed).The NRL did not touch their loan.
And if one believes the AFL will continue to pour the same amount of dosh into GWS and they Sunburns,good luck.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whose talking about hq employees?
I’m talking about staff in expansion states. they could afford it, they had $300mill a year more revenue than us!
No doubt in the wash up post Covid they’ll still have significant more revenue than us.
The $400mill includes aflhq losses AND expected afl club losses. Given their massive revenue from attendances it’s what you’d expect.
What’s the nrl’s predicted combined Hq and club figure with no attendances and pokie clubs closed?
All sports have had significant losses and will next year to a lessor degree. The big unknown factor to us for both codes will be the real figure for the tv deals over the next few years. That is where the real revenue pain post Covid will sit.

NT fielded a team in Queensland's Winfield Statewide League during the early 1990s, which was the precursor to the Queensland Cup and ran from the early 80s until 1995.

taipan

Referee
Whose talking about hq employees?
I’m talking about staff in expansion states. they could afford it, they had $300mill a year more revenue than us!
No doubt in the wash up post Covid they’ll still have significant more revenue than us.
The $400mill includes aflhq losses AND expected afl club losses. Given their massive revenue from attendances it’s what you’d expect.
What’s the nrl’s predicted combined Hq and club figure with no attendances and pokie clubs closed?
All sports have had significant losses and will next year to a lessor degree. The big unknown factor to us for both codes will be the real figure for the tv deals over the next few years. That is where the real revenue pain post Covid will sit.

D/Os are employees FFS. You think they are not going to be affected.You think all these extra people in expansion states are not going to be affected.Get real about the monetary affects of COVID even on the AFL.
They will of course have more revenues that's no surprise ,but ATM we are not using borrowed money like the AFL did.

Of course the $400m includes all AFL revenues, down from $1.2bn to $800bn.And when you outlay large amounts for expansion clubs they are going to also take a decent hit.1/3 of revenue is hardly a minor hit.
I have never argued the NRL is not taking a decent hit, except they are not using any of the $250m borrowing backstop.I have argued that V'landys /Abdo/Apollo team/the players have all played their part in securing the game goes on earlier than the others, accepted pay cuts this year,

All codes are affected ,never suggested otherwise you're not giving me a scoop, although you did say it's no worse than the GST at one stage, which is why it amazes me you are banging on about the AFL numbers in development states.You take on too many ,someone bears the brunt, when the sh*t hits the fan.

Why the need to treble numbers ,when even people in the AFL says they went overboard, and been found out now COVID has hit.And bagged Gil when he announced the cuts in his car, now that's showing real appreciation to his staff LOL.

We do know there is revenue certainty with Foxtel,we do know the NRL will be announcing cuts up to $80m possibly this week by Abdo.

Are you serious?The real pain is happening now when people staff ,human beings, people with mortgages, in sport are losing their jobs.After they have lost their jobs ,the remainder will at least know they have one and plan ahead, because at least til 2027 in the NRL there is a degree of broadcast certainty.And whatever that actual cash component is, it is sufficient for the NRL to make decisions on staff numbers, club handouts and create certainty that was lacking when this started.That's why I don't bag Vlandys,nor when he is stirred by journos to take a passing shot at his main competitor.9 times out of 10 so far he has delivered ,that's all I ask of any leader.I don't give a sh*t whether he looks shifty, says Rugba Legee,if very club and the code survives he has done his job.

Bagging competitors is happening now in other areas, when one only Health Fund has not increased rates, and is letting the public know this ,whilst their competitors are greedy.Coca Cola and Pepsi did it for years.Demetriou used to take shots at the NRL,Gil does more discretely.

The Sega Mega Drive became the elite gaming console of the early 90s, especially in America, largely due to its ads showing it as cool while talking down the Nintendo. The ads in America would say 'Genesis does, what Nintendon't'.

Perth Red

Post Whore
D/Os are employees FFS. You think they are not going to be affected.You think all these extra people in expansion states are not going to be affected.Get real about the monetary affects of COVID even on the AFL.
They will of course have more revenues that's no surprise ,but ATM we are not using borrowed money like the AFL did.

Of course the $400m includes all AFL revenues, down from $1.2bn to $800bn.And when you outlay large amounts for expansion clubs they are going to also take a decent hit.1/3 of revenue is hardly a minor hit.
I have never argued the NRL is not taking a decent hit, except they are not using any of the $250m borrowing backstop.I have argued that V'landys /Abdo/Apollo team/the players have all played their part in securing the game goes on earlier than the others, accepted pay cuts this year,

All codes are affected ,never suggested otherwise you're not giving me a scoop, although you did say it's no worse than the GST at one stage, which is why it amazes me you are banging on about the AFL numbers in development states.You take on too many ,someone bears the brunt, when the sh*t hits the fan.

Why the need to treble numbers ,when even people in the AFL says they went overboard, and been found out now COVID has hit.And bagged Gil when he announced the cuts in his car, now that's showing real appreciation to his staff LOL.

We do know there is revenue certainty with Foxtel,we do know the NRL will be announcing cuts up to $80m possibly this week by Abdo.

Are you serious?The real pain is happening now when people staff ,human beings, people with mortgages, in sport are losing their jobs.After they have lost their jobs ,the remainder will at least know they have one and plan ahead, because at least til 2027 in the NRL there is a degree of broadcast certainty.And whatever that actual cash component is, it is sufficient for the NRL to make decisions on staff numbers, club handouts and create certainty that was lacking when this started.That's why I don't bag Vlandys,nor when he is stirred by journos to take a passing shot at his main competitor.9 times out of 10 so far he has delivered ,that's all I ask of any leader.I don't give a sh*t whether he looks shifty, says Rugba Legee,if very club and the code survives he has done his job.

Bagging competitors is happening now in other areas, when one only Health Fund has not increased rates, and is letting the public know this ,whilst their competitors are greedy.Coca Cola and Pepsi did it for years.Demetriou used to take shots at the NRL,Gil does more discretely.

Of course they are. The point is pre covid NRL had MASSIVE investments in expansion states compared to NRL. IF both organisations face similar financial % revenue reductions (something nobody knows yet) then contraction will be similar and AFL will still have significantly more staff in expansion states than NRL.

The proof of this pudding will be in the eating and we wont see that for a while yet. Fingers crossed its not as dire as it may be. Fingers crossed the Fox deal isnt sht, fingers crossed we can still sell FTA rights for a decent packet. Fingers crossed the lack of crowds and pokie addicts doesn't go on too long. Fingers crossed companies that sponsor RL dont go under. Lots of fingers to be crossed!

MugaB

Coach
Of course they are. The point is pre covid NRL had MASSIVE investments in expansion states compared to NRL. IF both organisations face similar financial % revenue reductions (something nobody knows yet) then contraction will be similar and AFL will still have significantly more staff in expansion states than NRL.

The proof of this pudding will be in the eating and we wont see that for a while yet. Fingers crossed its not as dire as it may be. Fingers crossed the Fox deal isnt sht, fingers crossed we can still sell FTA rights for a decent packet. Fingers crossed the lack of crowds and pokie addicts doesn't go on too long. Fingers crossed companies that sponsor RL dont go under. Lots of fingers to be crossed!
Im assuming NRL Vs NRL is a typo and that one of them is ALF.....tehe

Fingers crossed? Perth Panda
Always looking at flinging poo on everything rugba

taipan

Referee

I think you meant to say the "AFL" had MASSIVE investments in expansion states, typos that you kindly bag me when I make them.What you left out in that assessment with these MASSIVE investments ,was in some cases over spending in these investments, as has been shown for both GWS and the Suns.

The NRL will be down $130m over 3 years, that is why they have to chop 25% of staff and work on $50m cut each year to get back to stability.
The 25% cut though terrible having to do, was done professionally, and not through a phone call via a car (ala Gil McPolo)
The AFL has a 20% cut but they are down $400m .Now trying to compare like for like is a bit hard, but the NRL has not over extended ATT expansion wises will be in a better position to expand once this stability is complete.Bearing in mind your despised Vlandys will eb making a decision on Brisbane end of y=ear supposedly.
One thing Fox /News has,is financial borrowing capacity ,so for their size they are in a better position to honour contracts ,than struggling FTA stations, even though Foxtel is hardly a money maker.
So if teh Fox deal is sh*t then FTA is going to be in deeper sh*t,thus AFL will not be laughing either.

You keep banging on about pokies(and I despise them,I've seen a casual friend's old man put his house through them),but there are AFL teams in Melbourne that also rely on that extra income they provide.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think you meant to say the "AFL" had MASSIVE investments in expansion states, typos that you kindly bag me when I make them.What you left out in that assessment with these MASSIVE investments ,was in some cases over spending in these investments, as has been shown for both GWS and the Suns.

The NRL will be down $130m over 3 years, that is why they have to chop 25% of staff and work on $50m cut each year to get back to stability.
The 25% cut though terrible having to do, was done professionally, and not through a phone call via a car (ala Gil McPolo)
The AFL has a 20% cut but they are down $400m .Now trying to compare like for like is a bit hard, but the NRL has not over extended ATT expansion wises will be in a better position to expand once this stability is complete.Bearing in mind your despised Vlandys will eb making a decision on Brisbane end of y=ear supposedly.
One thing Fox /News has,is financial borrowing capacity ,so for their size they are in a better position to honour contracts ,than struggling FTA stations, even though Foxtel is hardly a money maker.
So if teh Fox deal is sh*t then FTA is going to be in deeper sh*t,thus AFL will not be laughing either.

You keep banging on about pokies(and I despise them,I've seen a casual friend's old man put his house through them),but there are AFL teams in Melbourne that also rely on that extra income they provide.

I didnt mention your gst instead of gfc faux pas lol

where do you get the $130mill from? Does that include all the losses by the 16 clubs like the afl figure does?

taipan

Referee
I didnt mention your gst instead of gfc faux pas lol

where do you get the $130mill from? Does that include all the losses by the 16 clubs like the afl figure does?

LOL.For you GFC/GST and COVID -19 are no worse than each other, just a passing phase.

Let your research do the talking and you work it out.

The code and clubs will lose $400 this year and the next two years.MY understanding the AFL has lost $400m this year/

NRL rocked by $130m setback as staff cut by 25% on dark day

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-rocked-by-130m-setback-as-staff-cut-by-25-per-cent-on-dark-day/news-story/9fcb8c2f4f7c5f04e182cd3113126203

Tried three times to set out reference without access .Go to News site, the story is dated 21/9/20 by Nick Savage.
Surely you can do that.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
LOL.For you GFC/GST and COVID -19 are no worse than each other, just a passing phase.

Let your research do the talking and you work it out.

The code and clubs will lose $400 this year and the next two years.MY understanding the AFL has lost $400m this year/

NRL rocked by $130m setback as staff cut by 25% on dark day

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-rocked-by-130m-setback-as-staff-cut-by-25-per-cent-on-dark-day/news-story/9fcb8c2f4f7c5f04e182cd3113126203

Tried three times to set out reference without access .Go to News site, the story is dated 21/9/20 by Nick Savage.
Surely you can do that.

I wish GST was a passing phase!

The NRL figure doesnt include the losses sustained by clubs this year so your comparing apples with oranges. Not that any of the figures are accurate, just guesswork as no one knows what will happen over next 24 months.
IF crowds are back to normal next year then the only losses will be in downturn in corporate support and the renegotiated TV deals both codes have made.

taipan

Referee
I wish GST was a passing phase!

The NRL figure doesnt include the losses sustained by clubs this year so your comparing apples with oranges. Not that any of the figures are accurate, just guesswork as no one knows what will happen over next 24 months.
IF crowds are back to normal next year then the only losses will be in downturn in corporate support and the renegotiated TV deals both codes have made.

The figures for the NRL/ clubs up to end of 2022 is $400m .The NRL has used up it's cash reserves set to be $80m.
Sheesh projecting til the end of 2022, it's impossible to be 100% accurate.
The NRL did not use any of the $250m Loan on offer:FACT.The AFL utilised some of their $600m Loan.

The AFL cited a revenue hit of $400m this year from an expected $1.2bn, that I understand is not over 3 years, but one.

Guesswork is correct.,yet it wasn't that long ago you laughed at the NRL securing a long term deal with Fox.The figure whatever the cash component Isis FACT not guesswork.
Well Virgin airlines for the AFL is hardly booming.

"The only losses will be a downturn in corporate support" Are you serious ? Job Keeper and Seeker will be either reduced greatly or cancelled, many people with mortgages will have pressure from their Banks to make contributions, numbers of unemployed will be high, much higher than 2019.
I made this suggestion a couple of months ago, and you laughed at it.Well mate,I know two Airline pilots not expecting to fly planes for........and are driving trucks.
Corporate support is will take a hit, and so too will fans.Merchandise sales? Cost of living with Health funds,insurance companies upping their premiums.And wages remain static.I don't think you understand "disposable income"

The way things are going in Victoria, the only company that will want to associate themselves with AwFuL will be a hand sanitiser company. Or Dettol

greenBV4

Bench
The way things are going in Victoria, the only company that will want to associate themselves with AwFuL will be a hand sanitiser company. Or Dettol
good thing for them (bad thing for us) they are a national competition with plenty of national blue-chip sponsors.

It's kinda shocking really when you look at some of the sponsors of our supposedly national clubs in comparison

taipan

Referee
good thing for them (bad thing for us) they are a national competition with plenty of national blue-chip sponsors.

It's kinda shocking really when you look at some of the sponsors of our supposedly national clubs in comparison

Qantas has ditched the Wallabies, and I dare say Virgin will reduce input into AFL.Don't kid yourself major companies in this country are hurting.Including the major banks, one of whom NAB involved in the AFL.

greenBV4

Bench
Qantas has ditched the Wallabies, and I dare say Virgin will reduce input into AFL.Don't kid yourself major companies in this country are hurting.Including the major banks, one of whom NAB involved in the AFL.
Yeah for sure, But I was responding to "the way things are going in Victoria"

Latest posts