What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nutley firms for QLD Origin selection after Webke retirement

Shark

Bench
This is from http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,12758002-23214,00.html

Top of the props quits
By Steve Ricketts
April 5, 2005

AUSTRALIA and Queensland selectors yesterday conceded it would be impossible in the short term to adequately fill the hole left by the retirement from representative football of 30-year-old Test prop Shane Webcke.

Australia selector Arthur Beetson said Webcke's retirement because of a chronic knee problem and the prospect of Bulldogs prop Mark O'Meley being match shy meant the Test panel had to go back to the drawing board before naming a squad for the April 22 clash with New Zealand at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium.

Beetson said he could not think of any present prop who had the same qualities as Webcke, a veteran of 19 Tests for Australia and 21 matches for Queensland.

"It's a bit sad really, Shane's retirement," Beetson said. "He's fought a lot of wars and he's obviously given a lot of consideration to his decision.

"There's no one really with the same go forward game as Shane and it's hard to replace his leadership qualities. On the Origin front there will be a lot of happy forwards in New South Wales."

Beetson said O'Meley would be a logical replacement for Webcke but he is not due back from a calf injury until round 6, the weekend the Test squad is named.

Queensland chairman of selectors Des Morris said Petero Civoniceva, Steve Price and Ben Ross were frontrunners for Maroon front-row spots with all three playing Origin football last year and Civoniceva and Price playing Tests.

"It's always hard to replace someone like Shane," Morris said.

"He will give you an extra run at the right time to lift the team and he's a natural leader.

"I'm wary about putting someone into the team before they are ready, mainly because of the long-term effect it can have on their football.

"Danny Nutley (Cronulla) went well towards the end of last year and then there's Carl Webb and Shane Tronc at the Cowboys."

Good to see Nuts being mentioned alongside blokes like Price and Civoniceva...And we all know he can match it with Ross and Webb, while I'd put him a mile in front of Tronc in terms of being ready for Origin.

Also I think Danny's age will make him a better pick...The selectors won't want to gamble on a young (and therefore probably a bit flighty or nervous) front row, given the hole Webke will leave there.

My pick? I reckon he'd be a walk up for a bench spot, but if his form holds he could keep Price or Petero out of a starting spot.

Only thing I don't want them to do is to play him out of position. Would kill his game IMO. He's gotta play front row or nowhere.

Thoughts?

he'd carve it up as usual but they'll go for size. price, civo and ross sounds about right and a good balance too. also webb has already played soo

pogo

Juniors
yeah go ahead and pick him and watch him get absolutely rissoled .

imagine the fear in the eyes of the nsw team as nutley dives at their feet!!

fair dinkum nutley at soo level.............is this a gee up?

Shark

Bench
Pogo, you obviously haven't been close up to Nuts within 30 minutes of a game starting or finishing...It's friggin' SCARY I tell ya!

The guy is SO intense it's not funny.

He would be brilliant at Origin level, probably play better than he ever has for us, which is part of this whacko phenomenon that is part of the Maroon jersey.

Besides, have a look at how much punishment he can take over 80 minutes on any given weekend.

IF you think he'd fail at Origin level, then you need your head read. :lol:

Foz

Bench
We cant afford to lose Nutley.
We cant replace his work-rate.

Hope they pick Webb.

pogo

Juniors
well lets hope he is selected and then the myth of nutley being a top class prop will be proven once and for all.

Never mind bongo - his opinion counts for nought

Back to the topic

Nutley being picked and making 50 tackles and 25 hit ups for QLD is the last thing we need

I hope they ignore him again

Shark

Bench
I have been a HUGE critic of Nutley's discipline (or lack thereof) in recent years.

I think though, that with good coaching and some strong leadership from Noddy and others, Nuts has improved that area of his game tenfold.

Oh, and Pogo...it's called 'getting a quick play the ball' and it's part of what he is being coached to do...He's not getting pinged for voluntary tackles, so it's not a dive...Get it? #-o

pogo

Juniors
yeah i ve been watching him get up quick and play the ball for three years........

id like to see him get up and play it fast a LOT closer though to the opposition try line!!

mate get some tapes and watch him get smashed at the line almost every time!!

Nuffs

Bench
pogo, when are you going to realise that people way above you in the pecking order of selections, have been watching him for the last couple of years?

MightySharks

Bench
Hitman Danny has been great for us and he plays well above his weight (Ask Matt Parsons) He does the tough stuff, always the top tackler and is an asset to our team.He has even cut down on his stupid penalties!

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Pogo tell us who is better than Nutley & why.

maybe its trys? after reading your last post, it seems try lines are important to you.
go ahead , tell us.

millersnose

Post Whore
hey pogo

i am not really nutleys biggest fan either

i hold the view his discipline has cost us a few games over the years

but your criticisms of him are pretty full on

surely you can acknowledge as well as his faults his strengths

for example

for a couple of years he was the top tackler in the nrl

fizman

Bench
I disagree with you Pogo. I think Nutley is a very good Prop. Yes, he does make some silly mistakes and gives penaties away, but he doesn't shy away from hard work, runs straight and makes good metres.

I also like the fact that he is an 80 minute footballer, something which is pretty rare these days!!

Latest posts