What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ v Cook Islands cancelled

adamkungl

Immortal
NZ should have just compensated for injuries with other players...like every team in every professional sport in the world does every week. wtf

1.Kalifa Faifai-Loa
2.Joseph Leilua
3.Clinton Toopi
4.Junior Sa'u
5.Bryson Goodwin
6.Rangi Chase
7.Nathan Fien
8.Fuifui Moimoi
9.Issac Luke
10.Sam McKendry
11.Jeremy Smith
12.Josh Papalii
13.Bodene Thompson

14.Evarn Tuimavave
15.James Tamou
16.Justin Horo
17.Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

others to consider

18.Timana Tahu
19.Sandor Earl
20.Kevin Proctor
21.Lama Tasi
22.Sam Kasiano
23.Martin Taupau

hutch

First Grade
While I dont believe in throwing test caps to just anyone who is available, surely a nz maori or pms 13 team could have gone instead!

While I dont believe in throwing test caps to just anyone who is available, surely a nz maori or pms 13 team could have gone instead!
What this does do is it allows players who have previously been part of the team a chance to redeem themselves for selection in the future and gives uncapped and younger players expericence at the international level

Wilson1

Juniors
Though i am pissed off they called the game off, they did say from the outset that It will be a Kiwis test match but it will only be for the players who don't take part in the NRL finals.

Add to this the NZ Domestic season is still going, i can see why they cant field a team. Our only 4 halfs are in the finals for NRL or Super League. I guess this is the downside for having 3 kiwi sides in the final this weekend.

It was never going to be a true test match though. If some of your best players are playing club footy instead then it isn't a test match. These injuries happen every season - the NZRL should have had a contingency plan.

deluded pom?

Coach
At the very least, if what you read about the NZRL insisting on pitch upgrades etc. is true, then the Cooks have to be compensated by the NZRL. The Cooks can't afford to waste that kind of money.

bender

Juniors
Just a thought, but if it is injuries which have meant that the NZRL has to cancel the game, shouldnt the Cook Islands get the official win by way of forfeit?

Wilson1

Juniors
Just a thought, but if it is injuries which have meant that the NZRL has to cancel the game, shouldnt the Cook Islands get the official win by way of forfeit?

Potentially but winning by default is nothing to celebrate and since it is just a one off test it is irrelevant.

billy2

Juniors
David Fairleigh has a massive conflict of interest in this.
Assistant coach at the Warriors and coach of the Cooks puts him in an odd position of the game being bad for the team that pays him but good for the side he is head coach of.

what ever

Juniors
David Fairleigh has a massive conflict of interest in this.
Assistant coach at the Warriors and coach of the Cooks puts him in an odd position of the game being bad for the team that pays him but good for the side he is head coach of.

I thought Tony Iro was Assistant Coach for the Warriors Has that changed?

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Cook Islands National Team 54 beat Cook Islands PM’s XIII 16 at the National Stadium, Rarotonga. Ref: Shane Rehm (NZ), Crowd: 4,200

gutterfax

First Grade
Jim Doyle is an idiot
What do you base that statement on?
NZRL is in better nick now than when he took over...the national competition is going great and the development of the game has a proper structure with none of the "in-fighting" that went on before.
Yes, it's piss poor that the Cook Islands have been
Inconvenienced and are out of pocket, but that decision has very little to do with the CEO and more to do with the team management.