What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZRL Weaking the Junior Squads ?

Got to Say you have to wonder with NZRL's philosophy of picking Aussie based kiwis in the junior line ups for a pay off for the future is actually weakening the junior kiwi sides.

There were some notable admissions from the under 18's.

Is this the right move ahead ?

Also I hate to tell you so about Mose Masoe !!!! Jeepers he's gonna be great for the roosters!

AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLBOYS TAKE OUT FIRST INTERNATIONAL AGAINST NZ UNDER-18S

New Zealand's national under-18 side lost 20-40 to the Australian Schoolboys in the first of two internationals today (Saturday).
The young Kiwis were in contention when they drew level at 16-16 soon after halftime in the Mt Smart Stadium encounter.
And with 10 minutes to go interchange prop Mose Masoe (Wellington) completed a personal hat-trick to leave the New Zealanders just 20-22 behind but the Australians pulled away with three late tries to win by 20 points.
Earlier Newcastle's Jason Schirnack scored the New Zealand side's first try.
Included in the visiting team were centre Kieran Foran and second rower Kevin Proctor, who were eligible to play for New Zealand. They were both among the try scorers.
Foran's older brother Liam is set to play for the Junior Kiwis in their one-off international against the Junior Kangaroos in Wellington on October 14. That match will be the curtain-raiser to the Centenary Test between the Kiwis and the Kangaroos.
The second clash between the New Zealand Under-18s and the Australian Schoolboys will be played in Rotorua next Saturday.
Match details:
At Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland:
New Zealand Under-18s 20 (Mose Masoe 3, Jason Schirnack tries; A J Taumata 2 conversions).
Australian Schoolboys 40 (Jeremy Papamau, Kevin Proctor, Kieran Foran, Andrew McCullough, Jarrod Croker, Ryan Williamson, Daniel Mortimer tries; Ben Hunt 6 conversions; Ryan Stig conversion).
Halftime: 16-12 Australian Schoolboys.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Wanted to post pretty much this myself but couldn't be bothered with the flak i thought i'd cop. What message is the NZRL sending to the young kids of our game by picking kids in aussie.

roopy

Referee
Jason Schirnack is from Wellington and played under 18s and some under 20s for the Knights this year.
Towards the end of the under 20s season he really looked at home in that grade.
He is a powerful second rower.
The Knights have five kids from Wellington i think, with the leader of the pack being Hanan Laban (big H as we call him) when is the son of Wellington Orcas organiser Ken Laban.
Next year H and Timmy Natusch could make firstgrade after having a great year in PL this year.

Skinner

Coach
NIGHTMARE-HITTER said:
Got to Say you have to wonder with NZRL's philosophy of picking Aussie based kiwis in the junior line ups for a pay off for the future is actually weakening the junior kiwi sides.

There were some notable admissions from the under 18's.

Is this the right move ahead ?

Also I hate to tell you so about Mose Masoe !!!! Jeepers he's gonna be great for the roosters!

AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLBOYS TAKE OUT FIRST INTERNATIONAL AGAINST NZ UNDER-18S

New Zealand's national under-18 side lost 20-40 to the Australian Schoolboys in the first of two internationals today (Saturday).
The young Kiwis were in contention when they drew level at 16-16 soon after halftime in the Mt Smart Stadium encounter.
And with 10 minutes to go interchange prop Mose Masoe (Wellington) completed a personal hat-trick to leave the New Zealanders just 20-22 behind but the Australians pulled away with three late tries to win by 20 points.
Earlier Newcastle's Jason Schirnack scored the New Zealand side's first try.
Included in the visiting team were centre Kieran Foran and second rower Kevin Proctor, who were eligible to play for New Zealand. They were both among the try scorers.
Foran's older brother Liam is set to play for the Junior Kiwis in their one-off international against the Junior Kangaroos in Wellington on October 14. That match will be the curtain-raiser to the Centenary Test between the Kiwis and the Kangaroos.
The second clash between the New Zealand Under-18s and the Australian Schoolboys will be played in Rotorua next Saturday.
Match details:
At Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland:
New Zealand Under-18s 20 (Mose Masoe 3, Jason Schirnack tries; A J Taumata 2 conversions).
Australian Schoolboys 40 (Jeremy Papamau, Kevin Proctor, Kieran Foran, Andrew McCullough, Jarrod Croker, Ryan Williamson, Daniel Mortimer tries; Ben Hunt 6 conversions; Ryan Stig conversion).
Halftime: 16-12 Australian Schoolboys.

Could not believe the team when I saw it......it was a very anti Auckland team...and
it bit the clever bastards on the arse. :x

Skinner

Coach
Found this snippet on their site :

The team, coached by Ivan Harrison (Central Districts), is in camp at Auckland’s Millennium Institute to prepare for two internationals against the Australian Schoolboys. The first will kick off at 1.00pm at Mt Smart Stadium this Saturday (September 29) with the second test starting at 2.00pm at the Rotorua International Stadium on October 6.

Ivan who.......................??

Not a huge debut for Mr Harrison, although it sounds like they were competitive
for "most" of the game *cough*..

Iafeta

Referee
Haven't seen Masoe play so I'm not qualified to comment :cool: but that's a good achievement, the Roosters may be onto something there. Sounds like he got an offer too good to refuse and something the Warriors just couldn't compete with (overall, not just $$)

Just a thought, do you think maybe it's to stop young Kiwis over here playing for the Australian Schoolboys, getting into the Australian network and then having people in their ear about Origin this and Origin that? Perhaps it's their way of attacking the problem, and it still is a hell of a problem. For the life of me I can't work out how a state competition, as good as Origin is, is more important than your country of origin, but that's just me I guess.

Skinner

Coach
Iafeta said:
Just a thought, do you think maybe it's to stop young Kiwis over here playing for the Australian Schoolboys, getting into the Australian network and then having people in their ear about Origin this and Origin that? Perhaps it's their way of attacking the problem, and it still is a hell of a problem. For the life of me I can't work out how a state competition, as good as Origin is, is more important than your country of origin, but that's just me I guess.

If that was the case, then that would have required some logical thought and action.

I don't believe that, that organisation (NZRL) has that ability.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Actually thats pretty much what its about. It was on the news during the week. They wanted to get some of the top Kiwi players who were in Aussie signed to NRL clubs back into the Kiwis system. They interviewed a couple of them and they said it's great because at a young age the ARL and QRL etc get in their ears about playing for Australian and State age group sides.

I don't really see what is wrong with getting some of our top Kiwi players back into the system. Most of them are signed to NRL clubs so they are good players. They had a trial also. Most of you would be the first ones complaining aftr a couple of years if they turned out to be superstars and turned down the Kiwis to play orgin etc.

I guess it has something to do with you just loving to put the boot in.

Skinner

Coach
Fast Eddie said:
I guess it has something to do with you just loving to put the boot in.

Who you talking to Ted..you talkin to me..you talkin to Iafeta..who are you talking to
man. Make yourself clear Teddy.

RLIF

Juniors
Didnt the Australian based kiwis play the NZ based kiwis before they were selcetd any way?? Im pretty sure that was the case....so its just like when we pick the Kiwis teams, we pick from NZ, Aus and GB....and France!!

I think the team has to be the best Kiwi players around...who cares if they currently live in Aussie...

Iafeta

Referee
I agree with the sentiment that I'm not concerned where they reside, but where their allegiance/heart lies. If they're 50/50, I'd rather they get into a Kiwi camp than a Junior Australian camp.

In terms of the NZ residents, are we still running a New Zealand Residents side every now and then?

Skinner

Coach
RLIF said:
Didnt the Australian based kiwis play the NZ based kiwis before they were selcetd any way?? Im pretty sure that was the case....so its just like when we pick the Kiwis teams, we pick from NZ, Aus and GB....and France!!

I think the team has to be the best Kiwi players around...who cares if they currently live in Aussie...

And the result showed what...........................................................FMD

Fast Eddie

First Grade
And look at some of the previous results when we have just had players living in NZ for age group sides. The Aussies still rely on a 1 or 2 of our players playing for them anyway.....

So you are advocating that we don't pick the best players available and at the same time make sure that they will go onto to represent New Zealand sides?

Skinner said:
Who you talking to Ted..you talkin to me..you talkin to Iafeta..who are you talking to
man. Make yourself clear Teddy.

Haha nice. Pick out that little part of the post....ignore the main part. Because Skinner can't of been wrong. No. No way. Skinner wrong, it didn't happen. Skinner knows all.
:roll:

RLIF

Juniors
The NZU18 New Zealand based and Australian based teams played a trial match today,
Monday 24 September, at Mt Smart Stadium with a 48-48 draw as a result. The New
Zealand U18 team (squad of 18 players) was named and is listed above. Unsuccessful
trialists will return home tomorrow,Tuesday 25 September. The named New Zealand U18
team remain in camp now until Sunday 7 October playing two test matches against the
Australian Schoolboys (U18) Rugby League team.

Skinner

Coach
Fast Eddie said:
Haha nice. Pick out that little part of the post....ignore the main part. Because Skinner can't of been wrong. No. No way. Skinner wrong, it didn't happen. Skinner knows all.:roll:

Damn straight :mrgreen:

Latest posts