What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O/T Billy Slater allegedly taunts Cory Paterson over depression

Parra Guru

Coach
Oh dear....

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-over-depression/story-e6frexnr-1225843490978

SLEDGING in the NRL reached a new low on Saturday night when Melbourne's superstar fullback Billy Slater allegedly taunted Newcastle forward and depression-sufferer Cory Paterson about his mental condition. The Daily Telegraph has been told Slater - who was last night accused of not acting "in the spirit of the game" by Paterson's manager - sledged the Knight about his mental state when the two players came together during Melbourne's 20-14 win at Energy Australia Stadium.
Paterson was diagnosed with depression last year and missed a number of NRL games due to the illness. He reacted angrily to Slater's taunt, but the pair shook hands at fulltime.
"I'm not going to comment on what Slater said. He knows what he said and if he says it again, he can expect the same reaction," Paterson told The Daily Telegraph yesterday.
"I personally think he over-stepped the mark. We shook hands at fulltime but he didn't say sorry.http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...on/story-e6frexnr-1225843490978#sidebar-start

"But I didn't expect him to. I guess it was said in the heat of the battle."
Paterson also revealed he was sledged by Slater in a match last year.
"Yeah, he had a go at me last year too but it wasn't as bad," Paterson said. Newcastle teammate Jarrod Mullen heard the taunt but did not want to get involved.
"It's between them," Mullen said.
Paterson's manager Steve Gillis did not want to comment last night, but when pressed said: "It is something that could have been avoided.
"It wasn't necessary and wasn't in the spirit of the game.
"Cory has done incredibly well in recent times and has been playing some great football."
Gillis also refused to reveal exactly what Slater said on the field.
Paterson, a member of the All Star Indigenous side, has returned strongly to the NRL and he is considered a chance of playing in the upcoming City-Country match.
One Newcastle source said: "Billy knows what he said and he shouldn't have said it. It certainly struck a nerve."
The incident came after a Paterson tackle on Melbourne and New Zealand forward Adam Blair.
Knights coach Rick Stone was aware of the sledging drama yesterday but he refused to buy into it. "They are big boys and I am a believer in what happens on the field, stays on the field," he said.
"I saw on the video that they had words. Sometimes things are said on the field in the heat of the battle.
"It is a touchy one but I don't think there was any malice in it.
"I don't know what was said. I'm none the wiser."
When contacted last night Slater did not deny the sledging accusations, but said he had telephoned Paterson yesterday to "clear the air".
"I heard Cory had an issue with something that was said on the field [Saturday] night," Slater said.
"I rang Cory immediately to discuss it and clear the air.
"What was said in that conversation will remain private but Cory has assured me that there is no ill-feeling between us.
"I wished him all the best at the end of the phone call - and he did the same."

fish eel

Immortal
There's nothing wrong with a bit of verbal,. but if someone has had mental health issues going them over that is crossing the line IMO.

Gronk

Staff member
Hey Billy, don't forget when you play the Sharks next: Scott Porter's sister just died of a heart attack. Bet you can't wait for that one ! :roll:

Nikki

Coach
Billy Slater always has been and always will be a grub of the highest order. Sledging from him is only made worse by his annoying voice.. "SHUT UP BILLY!!!"

The Colonel

Immortal
The line while he was on the field from Slater 'He can give it but he can't take it'.

Ironic.

That Slater said it, not surprised. I think Hindy summed up Slater a few years ago on a televised game.....

SDM

First Grade
Considering other clubs and players are directly supporting the casue, it is a real kick in the teeth (which Billy also delivers if you hold him down too long).

But Slater should be able to recycle the insult for Mat rogers later on in the year.

What a jerk.

Nikki

Coach
Wasnt a Beyone Blue awarness campaign being run at that game as well. Im sure Newcastle were involved with them this year.

Glenn

First Grade
Billy Shakespeare wrote a play about it...."Much ado about nothing'.

Pete, sledging someone over depression albeit allegedly is not much ado about nothing, more like a cheap nasty niggle tactic which Slater seems to excel in.

SDM

First Grade
Pete is so old he probably thinks depression is an excuse for people from the city being lazy

the_eel

Juniors
Im not excusing Slater for what he said, because i think it is VERY poor form on his behalf, but there must be plenty of this that goes on in each and every game. Inglis/Stewart/Bird must cop it for their very public alleged indiscretions (perhaps somewhat more deservedly) and god only knows what else would be said out there.

Haynzy

First Grade
Low act.....unfortunately it seems that some of these idiots don't just need courses on how to treat women but also on how to treat other people in general... A pity Paterson didn't snot him.

Parra Guru

Coach
You could think of all sorts of names to call him but you wouldn't want to insult those species.

Seriously, he really mustn't have a lot going on up stairs though.

fish eel

Immortal
Im not excusing Slater for what he said, because i think it is VERY poor form on his behalf, but there must be plenty of this that goes on in each and every game. Inglis/Stewart/Bird must cop it for their very public alleged indiscretions (perhaps somewhat more deservedly) and god only knows what else would be said out there.

I think if a player cops it for something they have done, thats fair game.

Copping it for mental health issues is crossing the line IMO

The Colonel

Immortal

I'm sure they do. There is a line though and I am sure that they would get upset too if someone crossed it like Slater is alleged to have done. However Bird, Stewart and Inglis would be copping the sledge due to their own actions whereas an illness like Paterson has suffered is not anything he can really control.

As someone has already mentioned, will Slater sledge Porter about losing his mum and sister in the space of twelve months?

Latest posts