What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O/T Billy Slater allegedly taunts Cory Paterson over depression

Lowdown

Juniors
"Why don't you go to your room and have a cry"

That's it. All this ridiculous noise over such an innocuous comment. FFS - this thread's got more hits on it than Brett Stewart's news of having to stand trial for sexual assault.

LOL

I think the main reason so much Slater Hater going on is that there's a bunch of manic depressives on this site, that should seriously take a pill, have a cry and then HARDEN DA f**k UP. Nutters...

Suitman

Post Whore

That's it. All this ridiculous noise over such an innocuous comment. FFS - this thread's got more hits on it than Brett Stewart's news of having to stand trial for sexual assault.

LOL

I think the main reason so much Slater Hater going on is that there's a bunch of manic depressives on this site, that should seriously take a pill, have a cry and then HARDEN DA f**k UP. Nutters...

Someone named "Lowdown" commenting on a thread regarding depression.

Oh, the irony.

Suity

guruminga

Juniors
Whatever was said, the NRL has the opportunity through the media's reaction to it to stand up and take a leadership role. They should really state that whatever was said was uncalled for and that any negative comments of a racial, sexual or mental health, etc. nature have no place in our game.

The comment itself like many such things has little to do with it anymore, it was simply the catalyst for the media monster which has now given publicity to depression and how it is treated by other players in the nrl.

Bazal

Post Whore

LOL

That's the alleged comment, from a source about as reputable as Becky Wilson...anyway, your comment clearly shows your name refers to your level of breeding...

bartman

Immortal
I might have missed some posts in scanning through... but I assume everyone's pretty unanimous in condemning Slater for being a low wanker?

Everyone except for "slowdown" that is...

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Greatest sledges of all time

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...dges-of-all-time/story-e6frey59-1111112539844

7. When English all-rounder Ian Botham came to the crease in an Ashes Test, Aussie ‘keeper Rod Marsh greeted him with the following pleasantry: “So how’s your wife and my kids.”

1. After beating the bat on a number of occasions Shaun Pollock told Ricky Ponting, “It’s red, its round and weighs about 5 ounces.” Ponting hit the next ball out of the ground. He jibed, “You know what it looks like, go and find it.” This sledge has also been attributed to Viv Richards in an '80's English County game.

2. It’s fair to say that Ian Healy – and indeed the entire Australian team - had an icy relationship with pudgy Sri Lankan skipper Arjuna Ranatunga. One extremely hot night in Sydney Ranatunga called for a runner. The television microphones clearly picked up Healy saying, “You don’t get a runner for being an overweight and unfit fat *******.” On another occasion, Shane Warne was trying to lure the led-footed and extremely plump Ranatunga down the pitch. Warne expressed his anguish at not being able to do so. Healy interjected, “Put a Mars Bar on a good length. That should do it.”

3. As Daryll Cullinan – an infamous Shane Warne bunny - came to the crease, the King of Spin taunted him by saying he’d been waiting two years to have another crack him. Cullinan retorted, “Looks like you spent it eating.”

4. During the Lords Test of 1989, Merv Hughes was in the middle of a devastating spell that had English batsman Robin Smith mesmerised. After beating the bat for the up-teenth time Big Merv quipped, “Mate, you can’t bat.” Smith promptly smashed the next ball to the boundary and responded, “Hey Merv, we’d make a fine pair. I can’t bat and you can’t bowl.”

5. English player James Ormond had just come to the crease and was greeted by a tirade of abuse from Mark Waugh: “Mate, what are you doing here? There is no way you’re good enough to play for England.” Ormond responded, “Maybe not, but at least I’m the best player in my family.”

6. During the 1991 Adelaide Test, Javed Miandad commented that Merv Hughes looked like a fat bus conductor. Big Merv dismissed the Pakistani soon after, running passed the batsman yelling, “Tickets please!”

8. Merv Hughes was in the middle of a typically hostile spell in the West Indies. He didn’t say a word, but continually stared down Windies great Viv Richards at the end of his run up. Viv retorted, "This is my island, my culture. Don’t you be staring at me. In my culture we just bowl.” Again, Merv didn’t reply. But after dismissing Richards he proudly gave the great man a lesson in Australian way of life: "In my culture we just say f*** off."

9. The Pom’s have always been famous for mocking their own players, with this a particularly good example. After the beer-bellied Mike Gatting was bowled by Shane Warne’s “ball of the century” on the Ashes tour of 1993, his team mate Graham Gooch uttered, “If it had been a cheese roll it would never have got past him.”

10. Likewise, 60’s legend Freddie Truman didn’t mind getting stuck into his own English team mates. After watching an outside edge go right through second slip’s legs, Freddie was obviously angry, but didn’t say a word. At the end of the over, the fielder – Raman Subba Row – came up to Truman and apologised: “Sorry Fred, I should have kept my legs together.” Truman responded, “So should your mother.”

11. Dennis Lillee once commented that the arrogant natured Yorkshireman Geoff Boycott was, “The only fellow I’ve met who fell in love with himself at an early age and has remained faithful ever since.”

12. The “Father of Cricket” WG Grace was once bowled first ball in an exhibition match. “They have come to watch me bat, not you bowl,” he said, before replacing the bails and resuming his innings.

The Colonel

Immortal
<H1>Billy Slater statement
Written by: Storm Media
Mar 22, 2010 10:36pm

Melbourne Storm fullback Billy Slater has today again apologised to Cory Paterson over a comment directed at the Newcastle forward on Saturday night.
Paterson had on Sunday already accepted a private apology from Slater.
&#8220;I accept that in the heat of the moment on Saturday night, I overstepped the mark with a flippant comment I directed at Cory Paterson,&#8221; Slater said.
&#8220;What was said was insensitive given what Cory has been through over the past 18 months.
&#8220;I called Cory yesterday afternoon to clear the air and he assured me that there was no ill-feeling between us.
&#8220;He accepted my sincerest apology and asked that we leave the issue alone.
&#8220;It would be insensitive to Cory for me to repeat what was said.
&#8220;The simple fact of the matter is I made an error of judgment in the heat of the moment and I intend to learn from this.
&#8220;I fully understand that depression is a serious mental health issue in Australian society and if anyone has been offended by this incident I am deeply apologetic.&#8221;
Acting Melbourne Storm CEO Matt Hanson said Slater deeply regretted the incident.
&#8220;Billy is aware that what he said on Saturday night was inappropriate,&#8221; Hanson said.
&#8220;I have personally spoken to him about the incident and accept that he deeply regrets it.
&#8220;He acknowledges that depression is a serious mental health issue in this country.
&#8220;As a club we intend to learn from this incident. We will be seeking the advice of mental health experts to further strengthen our player education programs on issues such as this one."
</H1>http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=19004

Gee, I'm surprised they didn't trot out the old 'it's not in his nature' line.... :roll:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Greatest sledges of all time

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...dges-of-all-time/story-e6frey59-1111112539844

7. When English all-rounder Ian Botham came to the crease in an Ashes Test, Aussie ‘keeper Rod Marsh greeted him with the following pleasantry: “So how’s your wife and my kids.”

1. After beating the bat on a number of occasions Shaun Pollock told Ricky Ponting, “It’s red, its round and weighs about 5 ounces.” Ponting hit the next ball out of the ground. He jibed, “You know what it looks like, go and find it.” This sledge has also been attributed to Viv Richards in an '80's English County game.

2. It’s fair to say that Ian Healy – and indeed the entire Australian team - had an icy relationship with pudgy Sri Lankan skipper Arjuna Ranatunga. One extremely hot night in Sydney Ranatunga called for a runner. The television microphones clearly picked up Healy saying, “You don’t get a runner for being an overweight and unfit fat *******.” On another occasion, Shane Warne was trying to lure the led-footed and extremely plump Ranatunga down the pitch. Warne expressed his anguish at not being able to do so. Healy interjected, “Put a Mars Bar on a good length. That should do it.”

3. As Daryll Cullinan – an infamous Shane Warne bunny - came to the crease, the King of Spin taunted him by saying he’d been waiting two years to have another crack him. Cullinan retorted, “Looks like you spent it eating.”

4. During the Lords Test of 1989, Merv Hughes was in the middle of a devastating spell that had English batsman Robin Smith mesmerised. After beating the bat for the up-teenth time Big Merv quipped, “Mate, you can’t bat.” Smith promptly smashed the next ball to the boundary and responded, “Hey Merv, we’d make a fine pair. I can’t bat and you can’t bowl.”

5. English player James Ormond had just come to the crease and was greeted by a tirade of abuse from Mark Waugh: “Mate, what are you doing here? There is no way you’re good enough to play for England.” Ormond responded, “Maybe not, but at least I’m the best player in my family.”

6. During the 1991 Adelaide Test, Javed Miandad commented that Merv Hughes looked like a fat bus conductor. Big Merv dismissed the Pakistani soon after, running passed the batsman yelling, “Tickets please!”

8. Merv Hughes was in the middle of a typically hostile spell in the West Indies. He didn’t say a word, but continually stared down Windies great Viv Richards at the end of his run up. Viv retorted, "This is my island, my culture. Don’t you be staring at me. In my culture we just bowl.” Again, Merv didn’t reply. But after dismissing Richards he proudly gave the great man a lesson in Australian way of life: "In my culture we just say f*** off."

9. The Pom’s have always been famous for mocking their own players, with this a particularly good example. After the beer-bellied Mike Gatting was bowled by Shane Warne’s “ball of the century” on the Ashes tour of 1993, his team mate Graham Gooch uttered, “If it had been a cheese roll it would never have got past him.”

10. Likewise, 60’s legend Freddie Truman didn’t mind getting stuck into his own English team mates. After watching an outside edge go right through second slip’s legs, Freddie was obviously angry, but didn’t say a word. At the end of the over, the fielder – Raman Subba Row – came up to Truman and apologised: “Sorry Fred, I should have kept my legs together.” Truman responded, “So should your mother.”

11. Dennis Lillee once commented that the arrogant natured Yorkshireman Geoff Boycott was, “The only fellow I’ve met who fell in love with himself at an early age and has remained faithful ever since.”

12. The “Father of Cricket” WG Grace was once bowled first ball in an exhibition match. “They have come to watch me bat, not you bowl,” he said, before replacing the bails and resuming his innings.

:lol:

The best one was the former Zimbabwee captian. It went something along the lines of:

Warne : why are you so fat?

Zimbabwee player : because everytime i f**k your wife she gives me a biscut

hineyrulz

Post Whore

The best one was the former Zimbabwee captian. It went something along the lines of:

Warne : why are you so fat?

Zimbabwee player : because everytime i f**k your wife she gives me a biscut

Another good sledge

Club fast bowler to dean Waugh after 3 play and misses

" you must be adopted" :lol:

nöyd

Staff member
Well, here goes.

As a sufferer of depression a few years back - http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=167120 - I originally found Slater's comments hard to read/listen to, even though it's been a while since I've been in that deep, dark place that you don't think you'll ever get out of (remarkable considering the football teams I support), you sometimes feel that the slightest comment could possibly send you spiralling all the way back down, even if it isn't directed at you.

I don't know Billy Slater, can't say I want to or have ever wanted to. I acknowledge that what was said doesn't appear to be of any consequence now, but there's blood in the water and the media sharks are circling for a fresh kill. For Slater to go through his mind (albeit in a matter of seconds) to think of a sledge, only to land on making a joke, no matter how small, about another persons mental stability simply makes me pity him. He obviously knows no better and it's sad.

Credit to Cory Paterson for brushing it off.

LOL

Hi Billy. :nwave:

bartman

Immortal
Onya Noyd. I've been there too.

People like Billy won't understand until they happen to find themselves in a similar situation.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
don't forget that what slater has done is pre-meditated and intentional as he did the same thing last season. so the tone or context of HOW he said it is being lost even if were to assume the quotes were ALL that was said.

the main nrl thread's title for this topic is something along the lines of "on field bullying" with bullying being the key word.

slater deserves every piece of mud slung his way atm. i hope it sticks for a very long time

Parra Guru

Coach
Seriously, who thought it would be a good idea to give Joey Johns a journalism gig. The guy can barely string a sentence together on camera, I'd be very surprised if he wrote this himself....

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...way-over-the-top/story-e6frexnr-1225844496665

Cory Paterson and Billy Slater sledge row reaction way over the top

FOUR days after the event, I can't believe we are still talking about the sledging incident involving Cory Paterson and Billy Slater. I'm sorry if this column offends some people, but I think the whole thing is just another example of political correctness gone mad.

Of people jumping on a band-wagon and blowing an incident totally out of proportion to the point where I've been shaking my head in disbelief at the reaction.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not sticking up for Billy Slater here.

He was guilty of crossing the line on Saturday night in having a crack at Paterson after the Knights forward went public about his battle with depression.

It was a heat-of-the-moment sledge that, no matter how innocuous the comment may seem, should not have been said because the implication was there.

"Pato" reacted in the heat of battle as well and clearly made his feelings known to Billy on the field.

But the two players shook hands after the game and that's where the whole thing should have ended.

Instead, we've had this massive over-reaction with the do-gooders coming out of the woodwork to have their say and condemn the Melbourne fullback.

That's resulted in the ridiculous situation where Slater has felt the need to have to apologise three days in a row just to end the firestorm.

Now before anyone jumps down my throat, calling me insensitive and out of touch, I reckon I'm in a better position than most to comment.

I have a pretty good understanding of what "Pato" has been through in relation to depression because I've been through it myself.

It's a nasty illness. The battle to control it is a constant one and while there may have been a stigma associated with it in the past, the message about depression and its debilitating effects is out there and getting through to a lot of people.

It is now understood a whole lot more than it used to be, which is a good thing.

But let's not get carried away either. Who hasn't been in a heated argument with someone and let slip with something they've later regretted? I know I'm guilty.
I said some pretty ordinary things to rival players out on the field at times during my career when I was worked up during a game.

The odd touchy copped a decent spray as well.

I've also had some pretty ordinary things said back to me.

It can happen, but as long as it's not racial or too personally offensive, should we be making a big song and dance about it?

I don't think so. Particularly not when the players themselves aren't.

To his credit, Paterson was quizzed about the incident after the game and didn't want a big deal made of it because he felt it was all over and done with.

Pity others didn't take his lead.

Last edited:

Hellsy

Immortal
I actually agree with Joey to a certain extent.
Was Billy out of line? Absolutely and without a shadow of a doubt
Do we need to still be talking about it? No, I don't think so. It's done and dusted, hopefully today is the end.....

I think Cory handled it well, he got angry and a scuffle ensued, they both shook hands at the end of the match and then he said it was over and done with.

Slater has now apologised on many occasions, and whether Cory actually forgives him or not is his own business and should be kept that way. As a positive move the Storm are now bringing in someone to talk to their whole playing roster to try and educate them all of the seriousness of mental health - that is a great move IMO and possibly something all clubs could be made aware of in a group talk session.

I just really hope it doesn't drag on for weeks - Bingle style.

Latest posts