What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O/T Billy Slater allegedly taunts Cory Paterson over depression

SDM

First Grade
Im not excusing Slater for what he said, because i think it is VERY poor form on his behalf, but there must be plenty of this that goes on in each and every game. Inglis/Stewart/Bird must cop it for their very public alleged indiscretions (perhaps somewhat more deservedly) and god only knows what else would be said out there.

Perhaps?:lol:

the_eel

Juniors
I think if a player cops it for something they have done, thats fair game.

Copping it for mental health issues is crossing the line IMO

Mate i do agree...definitely not supportive of Slater at all just merely raising the point that there must be plenty said out there these days!!

parra pete

Referee
Pete, sledging someone over depression albeit allegedly is not much ado about nothing, more like a cheap nasty niggle tactic which Slater seems to excel in.

The last sentences of the story says it all...

"What was said in that conversation will remain private but Cory has assured me that there is no ill-feeling between us.
"I wished him all the best at the end of the phone call - and he did the same."

As I said "Much ado about nothing"

Glenn

First Grade
The last sentences of the story says it all...

"What was said in that conversation will remain private but Cory has assured me that there is no ill-feeling between us.
"I wished him all the best at the end of the phone call - and he did the same."

As I said "Much ado about nothing"

Not at all, Slater shouldn't have gone there in the first place.
All well and good to apologise after the event.

Haynzy

First Grade
Whether Paterson forgives Slater is irrelevant Pete (and good for him if he did).

Slater made a disparaging remark about Paterson's mental illness (which seems to be confirmed from the article) and this is not acceptable to the general population so why should it be ok for him?

It's hard enough educating people about depression without boofheads like Slater carrying on like a caveman.
These guys are role models whether they like it or not.

parra pete

Referee
What about Warnie sledging his bunny Daryl Cullinan?
Everyone thought he was funny.."Looks like another trip back to the psychiatrist lounge".

Much ado about nothing

offside ref

Juniors
Slater is a grub patterson had the balls to speak about his illness and should be supported for that not cope crap from that grub.

Haynzy

First Grade
I've always thought of Warnie as not a very nice human being and would regularly talk to my kids about him as that.
I certainly don't find his comments funny.

Unfortunately we put our 'stars' on pedestals that they may deserve for their sporting prowess but not their decision making as human beings...
This is one thing I applaud Osbourne for in making this a major part of his recruitment strategy.

Your stature in the community should make you more accountable for your your words and actions.

SDM

First Grade
I've always thought of Warnie as not a very nice human being and would regularly talk to my kids about him as that.
I certainly don't find his comments funny.

Unfortunately we put our 'stars' on pedestals that they may deserve for their sporting prowess but not their decision making as human beings...
This is one thing I applaud Osbourne for in making this a major part of his recruitment strategy.

Your stature in the community should make you more accountable for your your words and actions.

I gotta agree, there isn't much love out there for Warnie

Glenn

First Grade
What about Warnie sledging his bunny Daryl Cullinan?
Everyone thought he was funny.."Looks like another trip back to the psychiatrist lounge".

Much ado about nothing

Don't recall Cullinan suffering from Mental Depression. :?

Gronk

Staff member
Gallop should step in. This is no different than Gallen calling someone a black c%%t.

parra pete

Referee
If Corey is still suffering from depression he should not be playing NRL. I know how he feels. I am on medication for depression - and I have a daughter who suffers from depression also. Medication can control it.
Patterson said himself that he had no ill feeling towards Slater - that's why I say...Much ado about nothing
Can't understand why it was even raised.

fish eel

Immortal
Gallop should step in. This is no different than Gallen calling someone a black c%%t.

Here here

If Corey is still suffering from depression he should not be playing NRL. I know how he feels. I am on medication for depression - and I have a daughter who suffers from depression also. Medication can control it.
Patterson said himself that he had no ill feeling towards Slater - that's why I say...Much ado about nothing

I think it's irrelevant what Patterson thinks.

It obviously hurt him on the field and he has stated he thought Slater had over stepped the mark.

I think H said it best

It's hard enough educating people about depression without boofheads like Slater carrying on like a caveman

If it was a racist comment the NRL would step in and say thats not on.

Likewise, I'd have no issue if they stepped in here and said this isnt on.

Haynzy

First Grade

C'mon Pete, you're better than that.

It was raised because, as Gronk said, it's as bad as Gallen's black @#$% comment.

Latest posts