What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O/T - Is football REALLY the sleeping giant?

Suitman

Post Whore
The coverage of the World Cup, and the success thus far of the Socceroos, has had me thinking these past few days about the potential of Football in this country.

The hype and media coverage has been nothing short of extraordinary. Indeed, the ratings are incredible considering the hours at which the matches are being shown - over 2 million Aussies watched the Brazil match, not including those who actually were in pubs or live sites.
I know there is a bandwagon element here - remember 1983 when we all became expert sailors?

But what has been most amazing is the amount of Aussies who have travelled to Germany for the matches - one estimate put it at around 50 000. Now, given that that might be a media beat up and has been doubled, the fact that 25 000 Aussies have gone to Germany is just a mind blowing figure.
I can think of no other event in the World that could attract so many Australians overseas - except maybe an Olympics. Considering some of these Aussies may have already been in Europe or live there, it is still an incredible figure.

So, my question is as the title of this thread suggests - Is Football the sleeping giant in this country? Do League, Union and to a lesser extent Aussie Rules have anything to fear over the long term?

Over to you all.

Suity

Suity...if we make the next 2 world cups definately.

I suspect after the success of this one qualifying won't be enough in the future.

From a personal point of view, I have had very little interest in the league since the World Cup has started...and that is saying something...maybe it is to do with the flagging fortunes of our club but I didn't even switch onto Origin 2 until the day such was my hysteria of our win of the Japansese.

These boys have captured the hearts of our nation....I don't want it to end.

Suitman

Post Whore
Belly in Brisvegas said:
From a personal point of view, I have had very little interest in the league since the World Cup has started...and that is saying something...maybe it is to do with the flagging fortunes of our club

That is how I have felt as well.
I have no doubt it has a lot to do with the way Parra are going, but it has really got me thinking.
I went to a Sydney FC game last season and the atmosphere and spectacle far outweighed most Parra games I have ever been to. The Uraguay qualifier was the greatest sporting event I have ever been to in terms of passion and atmosphere.

I certainly don't want to get into a "football vs Parra" argument here and drag the topic off course, but it certainly has had me thinking.
I have followed Parra for 30 years and they will always be a priority love of mine, but me thinks the tide could be turning. It may take a generation or two, but I don't think it is out of the realms of possibility.

Suity

mickdo

Coach
I reckon a lot of those aussies over there would be those who were already living in Europe. I know a few mates who have gone over from the UK.

As for it taking over from other football codes here, I don't think it will all that much in the short to medium term. The A-League is on during the summer anyway, almost all our players play overseas (limiting the continued exposure after the WC), and the WC is only on every 4 years.

Still, there's no question that soccer will get a boost from this.

I think it comes down to International football, Vs Club football, and we have someone to root for this time.

Last time the world cup was in it got Huge Ratings as well for Channel 9, and got the sporting public interested as well. Then it all went away till qualifying last year.

When you get down to local club football. It will always be the Summer football code purely to help the players who do wish to play down here, be in sync with the rest of the worlds programs.

While this event is a Major Shot in the Arm, it is also a "note worthy" thing to be doing. Going to Germany or Being at a live site or Bar.

Also to be very honest with you, it isn't a hard game to understand unlike Rugby or AFL, rules wise.

The Colonel

Immortal
Suitman said:
The coverage of the World Cup, and the success thus far of the Socceroos, has had me thinking these past few days about the potential of Football in this country.

The hype and media coverage has been nothing short of extraordinary. Indeed, the ratings are incredible considering the hours at which the matches are being shown - over 2 million Aussies watched the Brazil match, not including those who actually were in pubs or live sites.
I know there is a bandwagon element here - remember 1983 when we all became expert sailors?

But what has been most amazing is the amount of Aussies who have travelled to Germany for the matches - one estimate put it at around 50 000. Now, given that that might be a media beat up and has been doubled, the fact that 25 000 Aussies have gone to Germany is just a mind blowing figure.
I can think of no other event in the World that could attract so many Australians overseas - except maybe an Olympics. Considering some of these Aussies may have already been in Europe or live there, it is still an incredible figure.

So, my question is as the title of this thread suggests - Is Football the sleeping giant in this country? Do League, Union and to a lesser extent Aussie Rules have anything to fear over the long term?

Over to you all.

Suity

Union has much to fear.

Moving into Asia will make it more recognisable but until the best players from Australia are playing in Australia I'm not sure the A League will make the impact needed to increase its exposure - in the next four years at the very least. It is also unlikely that the best Australia has to offer will return home until after their worth in overseas competitions is exhausted given the money that is on offer. Australia just can't compete on a sponsorship basis to warrant multi-million dollar contracts.

It is already the most played junior sport far outranking AFL and League involvement. The interest is there but while a lot of kids look up to the Socceroo stars not many realise the dream of Kewell and others in going to England to become household names.

Suitman

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
Union has much to fear.

Moving into Asia will make it more recognisable but until the best players from Australia are playing in Australia I'm not sure the A League will make the impact needed to increase its exposure - in the next four years at the very least. It is also unlikely that the best Australia has to offer will return home until after their worth in overseas competitions is exhausted given the money that is on offer. Australia just can't compete on a sponsorship basis to warrant multi-million dollar contracts.

It is already the most played junior sport far outranking AFL and League involvement. The interest is there but while a lot of kids look up to the Socceroo stars not many realise the dream of Kewell and others in going to England to become household names.

Colonel,

Point taken, but considering the success of the A-League in its inaugural season, without those "name" players, isn't the potential enormous?

Suity

Utey

Coach
Soccer has a great base at club and international level, I would struggle to find another sport which has such quality on all levels. Its a fairly easy sport on the body and hence why so many kids get into it. Junior bases are much larger then rugby league, union or afl will ever be.

The Colonel

Immortal
Suitman said:
Colonel,

Point taken, but considering the success of the A-League in its inaugural season, without those "name" players, isn't the potential enormous?

Suity

It is. But when the different Leagues around the world start realising what the potential is how long before many of those players are across in Europe and England playing for the big dollars? It has been a regular occurence for sometime in Australian soccer already and would only increase.

If the likes of EPL etc pick the eyes out of the talent each year are fans going to be able to draw a regular interest in individual players like the do in League and AFL?

Utey

Coach
The Colonel said:
Actually soccer related joint injuries are among the highest..... could even be the highest.

put it this way, I played soccer for about 6 years never hurt anything, first season of footy was a nightmare. Theres always an element of risk but it is a safer game. Its deemed safer by parents anyhow.

Gronk

Staff member
I went to a few A-League games to watch Bling FC. I now know why the soccer fans sing the UK - because its boring ! Take away the atmosphere of a World Cup/International and your left with a game that offers few highlights.

Utey

Coach
Gronk said:
I went to a few A-League games to watch Bling FC. I now know why the soccer fans singin the UK - because its boring ! Take away the atmosphere of a World Cup/International and your left with a game that offers few highlights.

lol you never went to the league before the A-League? I know ethnic tension had a lot to do with it, but Marconi games were absolutely unreal.

Soccer has the most kids involved does it not? It all starts with the juniors and keeping them in the game.

The Colonel

Immortal
<UPtheEELS> said:
put it this way, I played soccer for about 6 years never hurt anything, first season of footy was a nightmare. Theres always an element of risk but it is a safer game. Its deemed safer by parents anyhow.

I played for eight years and am aware it is deemed safer - mainly because of the lack of body to body impact.

There however was a study quite a while ago in regard to joint injuries and it had the highest percentages of joint injuries based on particiaption rates. Netball may have been the highest.

strider

Post Whore
there's always room for more sport :D

i think as australian becomes more multi-cultural, then football can only get stronger - ppl who come here will want to see football and there will be some corporate $$$s around.

but i don't think the other codes will suffer greatly .... I think aussies have an inbuilt desire for a bit of biff - we've become accustomed to contact sports - its why alot of hardened league/union/rules followers don't like soccer because minimal contact results in dives for penalties .... things might change over time, but it will take a longggggg time

while soccer is the most played junior sport people are still supporting other codes while playing soccer .... alot of kids only play soccer cos that what their parents will let them play (as opposed to the more contact oriented codes).

soccer/football will undoubtedly gain - but i don't think the other codes will fall apart in a hurry

forward pass

Coach
Football (Soccer) is very different from other sports in that it really invokes passion in people.

I think the reason for this is (1) - the fact that its low scoring and one kick can change a nations fortunes and (2) the fact that in some countries, football is really all they have and all they care about. And it s because we are competing against these mad passionate countries - and matching them- is why we have become so passionate about it ourselves.

In terms of children playing soccer, I don't think a great deal will change. Most parents sign their kids up to play soccer - but that has always been the case and always will. It is considered a safe but competitive and fun sport.

Once the World cup is over, it will be hard to maintain the momentum imo. I still think the winter months will always belong to NRL, AFL and Union. The summer will be cricket and soccer ! But I don't think it will ever be a 'giant' whilst all our top players are playing in other leagues.

In summary, I think everyone just loves an excuse to party and drink and go nuts. And the Socceroos are giving us that. So I think it is just a massive bandwagon and everyone wants to enjoy it while we can. As of today we have still only won 1 game !!!

Go Socceroos !!!

Morenito

Juniors
Suitman said:
That is how I have felt as well.
I have no doubt it has a lot to do with the way Parra are going, but it has really got me thinking.
I went to a Sydney FC game last season and the atmosphere and spectacle far outweighed most Parra games I have ever been to. The Uraguay qualifier was the greatest sporting event I have ever been to in terms of passion and atmosphere.

I certainly don't want to get into a "football vs Parra" argument here and drag the topic off course, but it certainly has had me thinking.
I have followed Parra for 30 years and they will always be a priority love of mine, but me thinks the tide could be turning. It may take a generation or two, but I don't think it is out of the realms of possibility.

Suity

I was going to write my 2 cents worth

But this is exactly what i was about to write anyways. State or Origin 2 for me didnt excite me even a little... i missed the start of the match which says alot considering im usually there watching from 7:30 onwards not being able to watch for the match to start.

I always thought i would get my kids into playing league but one thing that the last 12 months has changed in my mindset is that i would prefer them to get into football now.. Watching the last 2 weeks of the World Cup just reinforces that even more.

Suitman

Post Whore
El Diablo said:
no

Soccer will never be big here

:lol: :lol:

I knew YOU wouldn't be able to help yourself and stick your ugly mug in and make that comment!! :lol:

Suity