What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O/T - Is football REALLY the sleeping giant?

strider

Post Whore
Suitman said:
Mate, every time I watch Aloisis goal from November nearly turns me into Sookyvation as well.

Suity

see thats the problem with soccer - its full of crying poofs

:lol: :lol: .... sorry, I couldn't resist

I think there's a spot for all codes in Australia - I've always had an interest the aussie rules, I'll watch union (especially since it started filling with league boys :)), soccer tbh used to be boring (I think the way soccer is played seems more attacking these days) and the diving sh*ts me no end but its a very skillful game and when played well is very good viewing.

fish eel

Immortal
strider said:
see thats the problem with soccer - its full of crying poofs

:lol: :lol: .... sorry, I couldn't resist

I think there's a spot for all codes in Australia - I've always had an interest the aussie rules, I'll watch union (especially since it started filling with league boys :)), soccer tbh used to be boring (I think the way soccer is played seems more attacking these days) and the diving sh*ts me no end but its a very skillful game and when played well is very good viewing.

the diving sh*ts a lot of soccer fans as well.

I would have to agree that there is a place for Football in Australia, Especially in Summer and it is good that they do mostly night games and Run the competition at the same time as the World Wide Football competitions.

I am also happy to hear that the A-League Clubs are going to be Financial after all the changes made to football in the country by John O'Neil. I would like to see a few more teams though, Wollongong, Gold Coast. . Maybe some Gold and Blue side out near Rosehill, and until then my heart lies with CCM (Bloody Sydney Stealing our Catch Cry, our Colours next thing the Cove will start singing "Blue Moon")

The Great thing is that enticity is out of it so that does help and it does help to attract Caucasian Austrlians that have never been to a game for fear of Ethnic violence that has been associated with football either rightly or wrongly.

One thing I would like to Pull up Fish on is the Wallabies, they are also well followed in Perth, as they go over and play at least one game a year there normally.

strider

Post Whore
There was once thought to be a place for Basketball in Australia in summer on pay-TV .... OMFG that went off the rails!!!

basketball was the biggest emerging sport in Australia in the late 80s/early 90s (prime time free to air TV, sellout crowds, fully national competition) and while its no soccer it is very popular around the world - the powers that be in that sport tore its heart out with bad decisions :)cry: - i like basketball)

not saying soccer/football will go the same way - different sport, different demographics - but you can really f**k up a sport if you don't look after it well

bartman

Immortal
fish eel said:
Some of the video we took at that game is brilliant...the shame was the battery went flat before the end of the game....damn crowded camping ground with not enough power outlets :fist:
Having stayed at that very campsite and been allowed to charge batteries for my camera in one of the outlets in the front office for 8 hours, I have nothing but kind words for the Germans ;-)

bartman

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
The Great thing is that enticity is out of it so that does help and it does help to attract Caucasian Austrlians that have never been to a game for fear of Ethnic violence that has been associated with football either rightly or wrongly.
Very true, once they had the confidence to stand up to the clubs and demand that they not have overt associations with different nationalities in name, symbols etc, they went a long way to changing the perceptions of the top level of soccer in Australia, and giving it a chance to grow.

I'm with you on the CCM Mark, my better half's a central coast girl and we have (to have) a Mariners flag on display in the flat.

bartman

Immortal
strider said:
basketball was the biggest emerging sport in Australia in the late 80s/early 90s (prime time free to air TV, sellout crowds, fully national competition) and while its no soccer it is very popular around the world - the powers that be in that sport tore its heart out with bad decisions :)cry: - i like basketball)
I have good memories of those days of basketball, and my dad and I used to get along to some old Sydney Kings games at the then new Homebush Sports Centre for a few seasons there. (To think that whole area is surrounded by Olympic facilities now, and back then it was stood there on its own?)

I think a lot of things changed that didn't help basketball become a bigger sport - the shift of rugby league matches more to night times from the traditional sunday afternoons meant that dad and I went to less games due to conflicts with Parra, before they (probably a year or two late?) switched to Summer.

Also when the Kings moved to the Entertainment Centre a bit before the Razorbacks existed it meant that it was a bigger effort to attend basketball from out west, so our interest (along with maybe many other youngsters and families) kind of flagged. Still watched the highlights on Channel 10, but then Pay TV happened and...

strider

Post Whore
bartman said:
I have good memories of those days of basketball, and my dad and I used to get along to some old Sydney Kings games at the then new Homebush Sports Centre for a few seasons there. (To think that whole area is surrounded by Olympic facilities now, and back then it was stood there on its own?)

I think a lot of things changed that didn't help basketball become a bigger sport - the shift of rugby league matches more to night times from the traditional sunday afternoons meant that dad and I went to less games due to conflicts with Parra, before they (probably a year or two late?) switched to Summer.

Also when the Kings moved to the Entertainment Centre a bit before the Razorbacks existed it meant that it was a bigger effort to attend basketball from out west, so our interest (along with maybe many other youngsters and families) kind of flagged. Still watched the highlights on Channel 10, but then Pay TV happened and...
I loved bball ... was great atmosphere at the state sports centre during the finals when it was packed - small but great atmosphere ..... bball died off all over australia not just the kings :(

Suitman

Post Whore
strider said:
I loved bball ... was great atmosphere at the state sports centre during the finals when it was packed - small but great atmosphere ..... bball died off all over australia not just the kings :(

I once heard the demise of BBall referred to as the "Michael Jordan Factor".

Whether this is true or not, I don't know.

Suity

strider

Post Whore
what, like it died when MJ died? ...... hmmmm I dunno - that could have something behind it, but I think there is alot more to it

IMHO, being a successful sport in australia has always meant good free to air tv coverage - any sport that doesn't have that won't be really big ..... that may be changing a bit with pay-tv being taken up by more and more people - but i think its still pretty true.

I think the NBL (nation bball league) killed itself by committing to pay-tv only years ago.

Suitman

Post Whore
strider said:
I think the NBL (nation bball league) killed itself by committing to pay-tv only years ago.

Mmmmmmm, interesting.
That's exactly what Football has just done.

But then again, a lot more people have Pay TV now than had it when basketball was trying to gain a foot hold.

Suity