What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O/T - Is football REALLY the sleeping giant?

The Colonel

Immortal
I think the other thing that may impact onthe A-League in Australia is the lack of interest it has attracted in the past on FTA televison. Until they can rectify that and find a channel that will put the energy into promoting it it won't grow. 7, 9 and 10 have been stung before and are reluctant to run with it. They didn't even seem to compete over World Cup rights.

Suitman

Post Whore
forward pass said:
Football (Soccer) is very different from other sports in that it really invokes passion in people.

I think the reason for this is (1) - the fact that its low scoring and one kick can change a nations fortunes and (2) the fact that in some countries, football is really all they have and all they care about. And it s because we are competing against these mad passionate countries - and matching them- is why we have become so passionate about it ourselves.

In terms of children playing soccer, I don't think a great deal will change. Most parents sign their kids up to play soccer - but that has always been the case and always will. It is considered a safe but competitive and fun sport.

Once the World cup is over, it will be hard to maintain the momentum imo. I still think the winter months will always belong to NRL, AFL and Union. The summer will be cricket and soccer ! But I don't think it will ever be a 'giant' whilst all our top players are playing in other leagues.

In summary, I think everyone just loves an excuse to party and drink and go nuts. And the Socceroos are giving us that. So I think it is just a massive bandwagon and everyone wants to enjoy it while we can. As of today we have still only won 1 game !!!

Go Socceroos !!!

That may very well be the way things pan out.

I repeat my intial point though.
Name ANY OTHER SPORT that could galvanise so many Australians to an overseas event.
That is what has pricked my conscience.

Suity

El Diablo

Post Whore
Suitman said:
:lol: :lol:

I knew YOU wouldn't be able to help yourself and stick your ugly mug in and make that comment!! :lol:

Suity

i believe it to be true

any top Soccer player from here will piss off overseas

the A-League will always be a second rate comp

The Colonel

Immortal
so many Australians to an overseas event

I think the last word is the key ingredient in that sentence. Australians like to compete on the world stage and if we do well even better. We gather similar amounts of interest with the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, World Cup Cricket and Tennis. If we make the World Cup again in four years the interest may even be on a larger scale. It doesn't necessarily mean that this will lead to an increase of crowds at the A-League.

Sports like swimming and athletics always increase particpation levels arfter major meets.

strider

Post Whore
not trying to take anything away from the world cup - it is undoubtedly the biggest sporting event in the world ... but aren't alot of ppl who have gone there as much interested in being there for a good time/holiday aswell as the football?

re: SOO not being as interesting - well SOO is here every year, year after year - Australia in the world cup is like a fancy new flavour of ice cream, everyone wants to try it, its different, something we haven't seen before ... personally SOO hasn't grabbed my attention for years, pretty much ever since the players became too buddy-wuddy and alot of the hatred disappeared :lol:

forward pass

Coach
Suitman said:
That may very well be the way things pan out.

I repeat my intial point though.
Name ANY OTHER SPORT that could galvanise so many Australians to an overseas event.

Suity

Yachting !!!

Suitman

Post Whore
El Diablo said:
i believe it to be true

any top Soccer player from here will piss off overseas

the A-League will always be a second rate comp

More success? More money? Better players?

Maybe?

Not saying it will, but it's possible, isn't it?

They say that as many as 8 Aussies may retire from International duties after this World Cup.

Viduka back at Melbourne, Aloisi back at Adelaide, Chipperfield has already said he wants to come back.
I know these guys have got a very limited life span, but surely just these three would make a difference.
Just look at the drawing power Dwight Yorke had this season.

I'm not suggesting it will ever take over, so stop that argument. I'm just asking for opinions on its potential.

Suity

strider

Post Whore
when they say retire from international duties, don't they mean the Australian team - not necessarily coming home

its well publicised viduka plans to settle in croatia .... wouldn't surprise me if several others of foreign heritage would want to do the same .... i guess they could probably still fit in a summer or 2 in asutralia for some $$$s

James_Hardie

Juniors
I think the hype over the wolrd cup is as much due to the "event" as it is the sport. For example i had a guy ring in and say "he was staying home to celebrate (after our draw with Croatia). He is Fijian-Indian and wouldn't know the difference between Kewell and Viduka, but he used that excuse.

I think there are two potential issues.
1. Soccer's potential to grow
2. Has Rugby League becoem stagnent?

Soccer is changing in this country, with the A-League, making the world cup and with more international competition matches becoming available (at least on Fox). More people are becoming more aware of more players. Also the increased numbers of females playing will mean more families may get into going to the A-League.

On the other hand Rugby League has gone through tonnes of changes in recent times, and now has sort of settled. Perhaps the inlcusion of the Titans will give some boost. But with the game so structured now that it has taken alot of the excitement out of the game. Look at the last 4 friday night games. all cliff hanger endings, but to those who don't watch lots of league, they probably switched off early because there wasn't alot of exciting play.

Then you have the weekend at Aussie Stadium where over 60,000 went to watch the AFL and 6,000 went to the league (which included free giveaway tickets). I don't think league will become extinct in a hurry. But if the corporate dollars drain out because they are taken up by AFL and A-League, then they could have a problem....

Mr Saab

Referee
Potential? It has potential, but then so do South Sydney.
Cant see any free to air channel picking it up as they cant see them getting 300k people watching it on friday night "football" in december.
Australians like watching the best of the best and in australia they have that with NRL and AFL.
A League is a couple of notches above park soccer.
The Hypercolour T Shirt will be back in the cupboard in a few weeks.

Suitman

Post Whore
Gronk said:
What you've never heard of the Olympics ? :sarcasm:

Strider is right.
This is far and away bigger than the Olympics in terms of viewing audience around the world - even in nations that are not competing.

Suity

Macca_

Coach
The Olympic Soccer tournament is for under 23's only (3 over age players allowed). Many countries see the World Cup as a bigger event.

Suity, another thing about the Aussies overseas... What about the Footy Show doing that shabang over there. Was a big one.

Suitman

Post Whore
Macca_ said:
What about the Footy Show doing that shabang over there. Was a big one.

It was a very sexist and blokey show, but it was the most pumped up crowd I have ever seen on the Footy show.

Suity

Mr Saab

Referee
Ratings were not big enough for ch9 for that show. They now have to give advertisers of the show free ad air time as a result of the ratings not being as high as what ch9 said they would be.

Gronk

Staff member
Suitman said:
Strider is right.
This is far and away bigger than the Olympics in terms of viewing audience around the world - even in nations that are not competing.

Suity

The SA 2010 website states that its the biggest sporting event after the Olympics but its bigger in terms of TV audience.

I was refering to TV coverage, so I'll conceed on this one Strider. You were right mate. :oops: