What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obstruction Rule [Spoiler]

Grapple

Bench
Anyone have the footage? I missed the game.

Seriously? The game only just finished. :lol:

Compare that obstruction call tonight with Glen Hall's dive against Manly the other week and there's your rule; Section 69a: Make it up as you go along and screw the game and fans in the arse.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
They tried that a few years ago and it totally screwed up rhe game. If everyone on earth except the video ref knew that was obstruction, the problem isn't the rule. Useless video refs are thw peoblem.

I still think its a better solution than what we have currently. Its just a lottery.

the beavers

Juniors
wasnt a bad defencive decison..... ayshford turned towards the legal decoy runner.... as soon as priychard ran behind that runner dogs got an advantage....
ayshford shouldnt have had to take into account illegal play in his "defencive decision" .....

Slackboy72

Coach
Another big clash and all we're talking about are the refs.
Hollywood Harrigan's head must be the size of a small moon tonight.

clarency

Juniors
wasnt a bad defencive decison..... ayshford turned towards the legal decoy runner.... as soon as priychard ran behind that runner dogs got an advantage....
ayshford shouldnt have had to take into account illegal play in his "defencive decision" .....

This I can agree with. If anything it is getting lost in translation.

Listening to the commentators, they were (as too the video ref I assume) hinging the decision on whether the decoy ran into the defensive player or not.

gronkathon

First Grade

The really sad thing is that it is this simple.

It is this simple and yet they still cant get it right.

This is the kind of stuff you want to happen prior to rep season so it gets ironed out quickly but this has been a problem all season

HowHigh

Coach
Another big clash and all we're talking about are the refs.
Hollywood Harrigan's head must be the size of a small moon tonight.
Not taking anything away from either side, was a great game
That call just had me confused though

Doga

Juniors
It's based off of a player impeding another, like when the attacking player runs into the defending player.

Which is exactly what we did not see. The ref got it right.

The attacking decoy ran through, granted very close to the player with the ball, but did not make contact with any defending player. It was the tigers defender who turned and made contact with the decoy. That is why it was not obstruction.

Whether you think the rule needs to be changed is another matter altogether.

Ahhh someone who knows the rule!!!

seanoff

Juniors
that was text book obstruction. you'd put that in a video and draw it up as the best example of what not to do.

how the hell did he award a try

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Just saw it. It was a clanger. It's funny, over the years we see struggling teams cop calls like that all the time. These days we are seeing it creep into the big games against the good teams. That's a big change from what has happened in the past. New refs, new coach simpler rules I think.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Forget about "obstruction", it's a shephard. It's been a shephard for 100 years. Harrigan and his cronies need to stop changing the interpretation of rules.

Loudstrat

Coach
It couldnt have been more of a shepherd if there were a flock of Merinos and a hard on in Benji's shorts!

lockyno1

Post Whore
Make it simple. How hard it is to say....."you run through the line, peanlty". Simple. Decoys are obstructions.