What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obstruction Rule [Spoiler]

blacklock

Juniors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEyH4OIH3hQ

Start at 3:34

Its still running behind the decoy. The ONLY thing that the video ref could argue is that Fulton was almost tackling Pritchard when Morris went by, and any advantage would be minimal. But for me its still obstruction.
yeh ill admit it was a tough call BUT...the tackler was already holding the ball player. so yeah....technically i could see why it was given.

no name

Referee
For me it was nothing but an obstruction.
IMO Ayshford made the only decision that was available for him. Once Morris runs that line, he was in no position to get the ball.
I'm absolutely astounded at how these merkins came up with that call.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Just watched the footage.

That is unbelievable. I don't give a toss about any Origin whingers who want to call me a hypocrite cause you're proving yourselves to be morons if you do. EVERYBODY knows Origin is officiated differently from the regular League because we see it all the time.

afinalsin666

First Grade
If it weren't for the obstruction, Ayshford would have been able to lock up the offload. No offload = no try.

no name

Referee
Just watched the footage.

That is unbelievable. I don't give a toss about any Origin whingers who want to call me a hypocrite cause you're proving yourselves to be morons if you do. EVERYBODY knows Origin is officiated differently from the regular League because we see it all the time.

What's your take on tonight's decision?

StormHi

Juniors
No try no idea what excuse they are gonna come up with real tragedy because I honestly think it effected the outcome of the game.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
What's your take on tonight's decision?

Mate, do I need to be any more clear? Sarcasm on your part or not. My "take" on tonights decision is the referees have lost the plot, and the Tigers and Broncos supporters have every reason to be pissed off proper.

For mine the NRL have to sack Harrigan and do it on Monday. If leading ex players are all of the opinion that it was no try and Bill tries to defend the idiot in the box the NRL have to sack him. Almost as bad was the no try to Farah given what has been given this season.

fourplay

Juniors
Pritchard hardly even "ran" behind Morris. Liam Fulton already had his hands on Pritchard and was making the tackle before he finally went behind Morris for two steps as he was falling and offloaded.

As soon as Morris went past Pritchard Ayshford should have slid to cover Barba but they played for a penalty instead.

It also looks as if Fulton drove Pritchard behind Morris. Watch the replay and Pritchard wasn't behind Morris until Fulton pushed him in that direction.

Last edited:

no name

Referee
Pritchard hardly even "ran" behind Morris. Liam Fulton already had his hands on Pritchard and was making the tackle before he finally went behind Morris for two steps as he was falling and offloaded.

As soon as Morris went past Pritchard Ayshford should have slid to cover Barba but they played for a penalty instead.

Fulton is not the player everyone is talking about, it's Ayshford. Ayshford couldn't 'slide' onto Barba because Morris was in the way.

mongoose

Coach
Fulton is not the player everyone is talking about, it's Ayshford. Ayshford couldn't 'slide' onto Barba because Morris was in the way.

Morris wasn't obstructing Ayshford from tackling Barba, he was obstructing him from tackling Pritchard. It was a classic shephard, however because Fulton already had a hand on Pritchard the video ref must have thought it was ok to play on.

carcharias

Immortal
Just to clear things up.
Had that been the sharks who scored it would have been no try.
However
If that was the Sharks defending it would have been a try
However
If it was in a game where the attacking team were either way behind
or way ahead it would not be a try
So
Definite try against the sharks if it was to decide the game
No try to sharks ever.

That is how that rule works.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No try no idea what excuse they are gonna come up with real tragedy because I honestly think it effected the outcome of the game.

:lol:!!!!!!

I can cop that the decision could've been wrong but FMD, affected the outcome?

Did it affect the outcome more than a 7-2 lopsided penalty count? Or TWO occasions where the referee MADE the decision of held up only to refer it upstairs after CHALLENGES from the CAPTAIN?

Last week when Reed had been pushed into the Bulldogs earning a penalty, the referee knew he was wrong but had blown the whistle and couldn't change the decision. Why then can Maxwell change his mind after blowing the whistle and calling held up?

(that's not to suggest the decisions ultimately reached weren't correct, but the method of getting there, big thumbs down).

carcharias

Immortal
The ref made the decision????

Hahaha

Watch des whinge his arse off when it turns around and the dogs get robbed in the same way.

Blatant try was almost not awarded by an imcompetent ref.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Dogs get robbed?

We haven't won a penalty count since 1788.

The Gambler

Juniors
:lol:!!!!!!

I can cop that the decision could've been wrong but FMD, affected the outcome?

Did it affect the outcome more than a 7-2 lopsided penalty count? Or TWO occasions where the referee MADE the decision of held up only to refer it upstairs after CHALLENGES from the CAPTAIN?

Last week when Reed had been pushed into the Bulldogs earning a penalty, the referee knew he was wrong but had blown the whistle and couldn't change the decision. Why then can Maxwell change his mind after blowing the whistle and calling held up?

(that's not to suggest the decisions ultimately reached weren't correct, but the method of getting there, big thumbs down).
Of course the decision affected the outcome - a game changes with every try scored and every opportunity missed.