What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O'Davis looks to ESL

Frederick

Staff member
this article was in todays Sun Herald
Sun Herald said:
Luck of Irish for O'Davis
By WILL SWANTON

Robbie O'Davis thought indigenous blood was coursing through his veins. He thought his grandfather - the one who died in the NSW country town of Young in 1968 - was Aboriginal.
Lo and behold, to be sure, to be sure, O'Davis thought wrong. His grandfather was born in Ireland - a revelation that leaves the former Australian fullback chasing Irish citizenship in an attempt to resurrect his career with English Super League club Wigan.
O'Davis, who is being helped by Sonny Bill Williams's management team of Chris and Gavin Orr, is likely to earn a start with Wigan if he has an Irish passport because they won't have to include him in their quota of international players.
"Yep, I've applied for the citizenship - my dad's father was Irish." O'Davis said. "The only problem is we can't find out where he was born. He deserted the Irish army and changed his name to O'Davis when he was over here and that's the name we stuck with, but our proper last name is McCarthy. His name was Mark McCarthy.
"We have to be able to prove he was Irish with his birth certificate and then relate him to us. As soon as we do that, I can get my Irish passport and go over there to play."
Chris Orr said: "Robbie can't believe there isn't any Aboriginal heritage in him. He's played in indigenous touch footy days, all that stuff. He's a bit stunned. He had no idea until recently."
The Newcastle Knights sacked O'Davis last year. He's desperate to milk a few more years from his career.
"Dad was in the air force in 1968 and got a phone call saying his father had died in Young." O'Davis said. "Dad still remembers the phone call. All we need to do is get the info about his birth in Ireland.
"If it all comes to fruition we can do some business. I'm talking to a French side as well."

Gene Krupa

Referee
FFS! Just give it up Robbie!

I thought he didn't want to go to England because of his daughter!

Ben

Bench
He was a great player and it should stay that way. He finished his career on a high and he should be happy that he has had such a fabulous career. Many in League don't go anywhere near the achievements he has made.

Henson

Juniors
Gene Krupa said:
FFS! Just give it up Robbie!

I thought he didn't want to go to England because of his daughter!

dear gene,u got the wooden spoon mate,would'nt poke fon at the sharks!!remember you came LAST!
icon7.gif

Misanthrope

Staff member
Plenty of reason to poke fun at the Sharks. They've not achieved anything in their entire history. :p

As for O'Davis, I'm surprised he didn't do this sooner. He still had stuff to offer when he retired, and he'd be a boon to a lot of English clubs.

MrCharisma

Bench
I love Robbie, he's a legend... but he is just on a downward spiral. He's a media hog who is always in it for the wrong reasons. Give up already

strewth_mate

Bench
It's a good story. I didn't see this twist coming from a mile off. In the end though the butler did it, trust me.

Henson

Juniors
Gene Krupa said:
WTF are you on about farktard?

gene craphead,what can't you understand about that post you knobhead...
knights are a crap outfit that treat their loyal players like sh*t.
and you talk alot of crap pal
icon13.gif

Henson

Juniors
chriswalkerbush said:
Plenty of reason to poke fun at the Sharks. They've not achieved anything in their entire history. :p

As for O'Davis, I'm surprised he didn't do this sooner. He still had stuff to offer when he retired, and he'd be a boon to a lot of English clubs.

remember wooden spoon,means last!!
ha ha

Gene Krupa

Referee
Henson said:

gene craphead,what can't you understand about that post you knobhead...
knights are a crap outfit that treat their loyal players like sh*t.
and you talk alot of crap pal
icon13.gif

Newtown was even more loyal to their players, eh? Kick out of the comp. Left alot of room for their players there didn't they?

BTW, Newtown were woodern spooners 8 times. 8 TIMES! How bad were they???? 8 times worse than the Knights! And we're only one Premiership behind your record! :lol:

I've got the feeling you've been here before under another name. ;-)

Or are you actually Wobbie the wonder whinger?

I talk crap? You talk sh!t!

Newtown? They're a force in the NRL aren't they? The Newtown premier league side are the town bikes of the Sydney comp. Everyone gets a ride on the bitches! :lol:

Bye bye! :nwave:

Henson

Juniors
Stranger said:
How First grade going for Newton :)

ooh touched a raw nerve eh!!
we're not in 1st grade ya tosser,remember you can use YOUR wooden spoon to bake some humble pie.lucky u sifties wern't around when the jets were,we would have bashed youse 4 sure.
icon7.gif

Henson

Juniors
Gene Krupa said:
Newtown was even more loyal to their players, eh? Kick out of the comp. Left alot of room for their players there didn't they?

BTW, Newtown were woodern spooners 8 times. 8 TIMES! How bad were they???? 8 times worse than the Knights! And we're only one Premiership behind your record! :lol:

I've got the feeling you've been here before under another name. ;-)

Or are you actually Wobbie the wonder whinger?

I talk crap? You talk sh!t!

Newtown? They're a force in the NRL aren't they? The Newtown premier league side are the town bikes of the Sydney comp. Everyone gets a ride on the bitches! :lol:

Bye bye! :nwave:
gee you got cut too,ya big girl,i've never been to ya crap forum before today pal,can't handle it eh?

Gene Krupa

Referee
Mate, if you're going to troll, do the research first.

You're already told a lie you moronic inbecile. You were here YESTERDAY!

FFS! It's at the top of the page!

Are you TLP? Should I have spotted that first off?

He who thinks he's won when he's been wiped all over the floor. Sheesh!

Go on back to the Newtown forum and talk to yourself before you get hurt little man.