What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O'Davis not even wanted for free

RL: O'Davis says Knights have snubbed former Test fullback League Knights By Daniel Pace
SYDNEY, Jan 12 AAP - Former Test fullback Robbie O'Davis says he's been snubbed by Newcastle after offering his services for free to the club for the 2005 NRL season.
O'Davis retired from rugby league at the end of last season to end a 13-year first grade career spanning 223 games for the Knights, 18 State of Origin appearances for Queensland and seven Tests for Australia.
But the 32-year-old told AAP today the Knights had rejected his offer to play for free this year if the club was going through an injury crisis.
"They've got plans well and truly beyond me," said O'Davis, who's now working as a real estate agent in Newcastle.
"I can't see a hassle but I've stood on someone's toes unfortunately."
O'Davis said he was training 3-4 hours every day in the hope of making a comeback and breaking club stalwart Tony Butterfield's record of 229 first grade appearances for the Knights.
"That's been my priority, to get the call back up from Newcastle," he said.
"They retired me, I didn't retire myself. I just couldn't leave town because of my daughter.
"If they get a few injuries in the same position I play ... they might give me another shot.
"I've still got things I want to achieve."
More than 20,000 Novocastrians turned out to watch a tearful O'Davis play his final game for the Knights - a round 26 win over Wests Tigers at EnergyAustralia Stadium in September.
Knights football manager Mark Sargent said the club had not considered recalling O'Davis this year.
"We haven't considered it because it's not something we're thinking about," Sargent said.
"He's fallen a handful of games short (of Butterfield's record) but that happens sometimes.
"Timana (Tahu) was two games short of 100 first grade games for the club."
David Seage, on the comeback from a knee reconstruction, and former NSW Origin fullback Mark Hughes are the contenders for the vacant No.1 jersey.
Meanwhile, Test hooker Danny Buderus will undergo foot surgery next week and hopes to return for Newcastle's round four clash with North Queensland in Townsville.
The Dally M Medal winner carried the troublesome foot injury into the latter part of the 2004 season and the Tri Nations series against Great Britain and New Zealand.

I think Robbie has to accept that his career is over.

bulldog

Bench
Seage and Hughes would be my preferred options for sure, but why reject the guy entirely? Surely he would have something to offer the younger players with his presence alone.

Kaz

junior
bulldog said:
but why reject the guy entirely?

He whined & b!tched last year when the Knights didn't offer him a contract.

He is still whining & b!tching. :roll:

tiger_nick

Bench
Get over yourself O'Davis. Why should you be treated any better then the next player. How would he have felt in the early 90s if some has been got a contract cause he went on a 'woe is me' media campaign? All his career whenever something didnt go his way he would have a cry. He only ever had one great season (97) and thats when he was on the juice

TooheysNew

Coach
Hasn't looked at superleague because he doesn't want to disrupt his daughter by leaving newcastle.

And nick, you obviously haven't watched much of his matches... :roll:

simon says

First Grade
Gee guys.....compassion alert.The guys bleeds red and blue.Gives his heart and soul to the club,offers to play for nothing and you guys are bagging him.

Ive never been a fan,but his committment is first class.

Cheers.

fillapop

Juniors
how many players would play for free...and hes offered to do it to a club who treated him like shit and u guys r baggin him out..dat aint cool

CC_Eagle

First Grade
gregstar said:
is terry hill being paid?

Match payments only....IF Des wants him come round one.

But Robbie O... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Serves ya right scum.

drake

First Grade
t-ba the hutt said:
gregstar said:
is terry hill being paid?

He has to survive the offseason and play well in the Trials before he gets a contract.
Considering the robbery he did on Souths he should survive well. f**king thieving, lying bastard.

O'Davis has been shafted. f**k sake the little prick only needed a pat on the head and a "yeah sure Robby, thanks. If we need ya we'll call you."

But Robbie, dry your eyes princess and harden up. You cried less when you split your palate in two.

Kaz

junior
fillapop said:
and hes offered to do it to a club who treated him like sh*t

What a load of cr@p

They stayed loyal to him when he was found out to be a drug cheat.

Godz Illa

Coach
If Robbie had have decided against becoming a drug cheat he would have passed Butterfield's record ages ago.