What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Season 2024/25

Matua

Bench
Did that get formally announced? I remember a bunch of "expected" and "reportedly" stories, and then a denial from Tyrone earlier this year, but I lost track of it all eventually.
I think it's official. He initially wasn't in the Magpies squad this year because they were releasing him to go, but he still had an NZR contract so they had to add him to the squad after they'd picked up another hooker.

IIRC the contract was announced back in 2023 that he'd signed for 2025.

I think it's official. He initially wasn't in the Magpies squad this year because they were releasing him to go, but he still had an NZR contract so they had to add him to the squad after they'd picked up another hooker.

IIRC the contract was announced back in 2023 that he'd signed for 2025.
Sweet thanks. Really interested to see how he goes. Must admit I haven't watched a lot of him in SR of NPC, but if he's anywhere near as good as his brother, he'll be a good pick up.

As far as whether that makes pitching for Leo harder... maybe we make it a package deal? If Tyrone signed a 1 year deal, that'd make them both available for '26.

On the topic of front rowers coming onto the market... read on fox sport that Xavier Willison is only on 250k and expected to field significantly bigger offers come 1-Nov.

Hope one of them is from us. Either him or Thomson would be great pick ups IMO.

Matua

Bench
Sweet thanks. Really interested to see how he goes. Must admit I haven't watched a lot of him in SR of NPC, but if he's anywhere near as good as his brother, he'll be a good pick up.

As far as whether that makes pitching for Leo harder... maybe we make it a package deal? If Tyrone signed a 1 year deal, that'd make them both available for '26.
Hard to say. Tyrone was a better rugby player, but Leo might suit league better. He has good leg drive despite his chicken legs.

Matua

Bench
On the topic of front rowers coming onto the market... read on fox sport that Xavier Willison is only on 250k and expected to field significantly bigger offers come 1-Nov.

Are we actually looking for a prop though? Webster seems happy with two in a team and a bunch of little men?

Izz

Bench

Yep, Willison would be another nice add. Kid has all the attributes to be a gun

Are we actually looking for a prop though? Webster seems happy with two in a team and a bunch of little men?
I have no idea TBH and yea you may be right. Webby may not even be in the market for another prop.

I'm just hoping he is because I'm personally still a huge believer in big games being won upfront. When I think of dominant teams in the last few years, most of them have had at least 3 quality big men.

Leniu supported Fish and Leota for a long time, before Lindsay Smith stepped up this year. Last year the Broncs had Haas and Flegler, with Palasia having a breakout year, and when the Roosters won in 18/19, I think (?) it was a combination of JWH, Taukeiaho and the Origin version of Napa during that period. Storm have still done remarkably well since Bromwich left, but their '20 GF winning team featured NAS and Tino alongside Jesse.

A troop of quality big men is no silver bullet obviously, but IMO its one well worth investing in especially if we're lacking a genuinely gun half.

Latest posts