What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Season Fox League Report Card

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That treats it's main customer like a second class citizen.

How about you treat the game with respect and attempt to help grow the sport....take a leaf from Channel Ten when they had the rights between 1983-1991....a great period for the game with brilliant coverage.
Can I ask how it treats its main customer like a second class citizen? Like in what way?

I'm interested to know because I don't see evidence of this

TheRam

Coach
Can I ask how it treats its main customer like a second class citizen? Like in what way?

Have you missed the conversation of this thread. Off season virtually zero new content.

Timmah

Staff member
Have you missed the conversation of this thread. Off season virtually zero new content.
Because it's the off-season?

Why would they waste money trying to attract viewers to further compete with Cricket? There's no new content on Fox Footy either.

I asked why we're being treated like a second class citizen - we're getting the same sort of stuff that Fox Footy is.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Why would they waste money trying to attract viewers to further compete with Cricket? There's no new content on Fox Footy either.

I asked why we're being treated like a second class citizen - we're getting the same sort of stuff that Fox Footy is.

Sadly they dont stop charging your subscription because its the offseason. I don't think its unreasonable for subscribers to want to be getting some decent content for their monthly subscriptions Nov-Jan.Same goes for fox footy subscribers.

Timmah

Staff member
Sadly they dont stop charging your subscription because its the offseason. I don't think its unreasonable for subscribers to want to be getting some decent content for their monthly subscriptions Nov-Jan.Same goes for fox footy subscribers.
Yeah, but nobody subscribes directly to Fox League or Fox Footy so that negates your point lol

LeagueXIII

First Grade

But Fox Footy has no other content that they can tap into. Our game is played in other countries so we have an interest in other leagues.

Timmah

Staff member
But Fox Footy has no other content that they can tap into. Our game is played in other countries so we have an interest in other leagues.
Like say Super League? Of which Fox is broadcasting every match that UK viewers see, live, just like they did this morning?

Without wanting to speak for others, I think he means how there is absolutely nothing on RL leagues outside SL and Aust.

They never show old internationals for example.

The French comp extends over the southern summer but never gets a look in etc. etc.

They could do much, much more but in my view are lazy and/or cheap.

More broadly too, Fox Sports News is a debacle in its treatment of the game and nearly as bad as the DT - which is saying something.

Fox’s coverage reflects the treatment of AFL, which as we know has nothing to offer outside Australia. They consistently fail to acknowledge RL is played more widely. This echoes the more dim witted trolls who equate them equally.

siv

First Grade

Because they have replayed the same 8-10 club games per club

And all of these were the same games they showed last year and the year before bar 2018 content

We have had 20 years of pay-tv that equates to around 480 different matches per club

We just want a chance to see some of the other 400 odd games per club

Plus we dislike the 1h cutdown versions of a 1.5h match

Timmah

Staff member
Because they have replayed the same 8-10 club games per club

And all of these were the same games they showed last year and the year before bar 2018 content

We have had 20 years of pay-tv that equates to around 480 different matches per club

We just want a chance to see some of the other 400 odd games per club

Plus we dislike the 1h cutdown versions of a 1.5h match
The games weren't the same as last off-season, and the off-season before Fox League didn't exist, so good stuff saying things that didn't happen.

As for the "same 8-10 games per club", you might have a point if the majority of viewers sat and watched the entire day's programming, but they generally don't - so it makes sense they'd replay it again.

And as mentioned, they're changing the club days around to being 'best of 2018' starting tomorrow, so they have changed it up.

What I will agree on is the cutting down, but at the same time I'm not a fan of listening to dickhead commentators trying to fill boring parts of games or dead ball time so it's not always a bad thing.

Either way it's much better than not having a 24h NRL channel

Timmah

Staff member
Without wanting to speak for others, I think he means how there is absolutely nothing on RL leagues outside SL and Aust.

They never show old internationals for example.

The French comp extends over the southern summer but never gets a look in etc. etc.

They could do much, much more but in my view are lazy and/or cheap.

More broadly too, Fox Sports News is a debacle in its treatment of the game and nearly as bad as the DT - which is saying something.

Fox’s coverage reflects the treatment of AFL, which as we know has nothing to offer outside Australia. They consistently fail to acknowledge RL is played more widely. This echoes the more dim witted trolls who equate them equally.
This sort of thing would come down to what rights they have, and if they're comps they don't currently have the rights to, then also not wanting to spend the money to buy those rights.

Big Pete

Referee
Fox League may not have existed, but that doesn't excuse them from airing the exact same schedule they put up three years prior. Of course hardcore fans like siv are going to take issue with that, it's hardly better than the coverage Fox provided fans before the channel's launch.

Timmah

Staff member
Fox League may not have existed, but that doesn't excuse them from airing the exact same schedule they put up three years prior. Of course hardcore fans like siv are going to take issue with that, it's hardly better than the coverage Fox provided fans before the channel's launch.
Its not the exact same schedule though?

Big Pete

Referee
Its not the exact same schedule though?

Actually, yeah you're right.

Jan 2019
12:00am - Round 24, 2008 - Broncos vs Titans
1:00am - Round 8, 2005 - Broncos vs Sea Eagles
2:00am - Round 3, 1998 - Broncos vs Panthers
3:00am - Round 4, 2000 - Broncos vs Sharks
4:00am - Round 1, 2009 - Broncos vs Cowboys
5:00am - Round 4, 1996 - Broncos vs Crushers
6:00am - Round 4, 2012 - Broncos vs. Rabbitohs
7:00am - Round 8, 1992 - Broncos vs Dragons
8:00am - Round 1, 2004 - Broncos vs Warriors
9:00am - Round 14, 1990 - Broncos vs Raiders
10:00am - Round 24, 2008 - Broncos vs. Titans
11:00am - Round 19, 2018 - Broncos vs Panthers
1:00pm - Round 4, 1996 - Broncos vs. Crushers
2:00pm - Round 22, 2011 - Broncos vs. Warriors
3:00pm - Round 22, 2000 - Broncos vs. Panthers
4:00pm - Round 14, 1990 - Broncos vs. Raiders
5:00pm - 1992 Grand Final
6:30pm - 1993 Grand Final
8:00pm - 1998 Grand Final
9:00pm - 2000 Grand Final
10:30pm - 2006 Grand Final

Dec. 2015
vs Titans - Round 24, 2008 - 10am - 11am
vs Manly - Round 8, 2005 - 11am - 12pm
vs Panthers - Round 3, 1998 - 12pm - 1pm
vs Cronulla - Round 4, 2000 - 1pm - 2pm
vs Cowboys - Round 1, 2009 - 2pm - 3pm
vs Crushers - Round 4, 1996 - 3pm - 4pm
vs Souths - Round 4, 2012 - 4pm - 5pm
vs Dragons - Round 8, 1992 - 5pm - 6pm
vs Warriors - Round 1, 2004 - 6pm - 7pm
vs Raiders - Round 14, 1990 - 7pm - 8pm
NRL Team Review - 8:00pm - 8:30pm

Jan 2017
8:00am - vs Titans Round 24 2008
9:30am - vs Sea Eagles Round 8 2005
10:30am - vs Panthers Round 3 1998
11:30am - vs Panthers Round 20 2000
12:30pm - vs Cowboys Round 1 2009
1:30pm - vs Crushers Round 4 1996
2:30pm - vs Warriors Round 22 2011
3:30pm - vs Raiders Round 14 1990
4:30pm - 2006 Grand Final

So they basically smashed two marathons together, added the grand finals (which they've played ad nauseum) and included one 2018 replay.

Even the scheduling of matches is eerily similar.

Bottom line, Fox ought to spice up their archive and offer fans some variety.

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
Looks to me like they offered more this summer, midnight-midnight. Added games.

And now the season's closer, they're doing a best of 2018 which is a nice switch up.

Some are acting like the thing's been taken off air. It's the off-season ffs

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Like say Super League? Of which Fox is broadcasting every match that UK viewers see, live, just like they did this morning?

Well that's an example. But developing magazine programmes that show the game both domestically and in an international light.
Games from other leagues not just the UK.
Documentary style programmes on famous old games eg. 1990 2nd Test Aust v GB, old grand finals.
Tracing back old players and reliving their careers and highlights.
How about developing a 30 for 30 style series.
The game has heaps of stories it's about time Fox put in and helped develop and grow the game not just filled it with endless replays of Round 6, 2018.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Looks to me like they offered more this summer, midnight-midnight. Added games.

And now the season's closer, they're doing a best of 2018 which is a nice switch up.

Some are acting like the thing's been taken off air. It's the off-season ffs

Accept mediocrity get mediocrity.