What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Season Fox League Report Card

LeagueXIII

First Grade
This sort of thing would come down to what rights they have, and if they're comps they don't currently have the rights to, then also not wanting to spend the money to buy those rights.

Nonsense, the French stream their domestic comp and it's reasonable quality. Why couldn't they pick that up.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Without wanting to speak for others, I think he means how there is absolutely nothing on RL leagues outside SL and Aust.

They never show old internationals for example.

The French comp extends over the southern summer but never gets a look in etc. etc.

They could do much, much more but in my view are lazy and/or cheap.

More broadly too, Fox Sports News is a debacle in its treatment of the game and nearly as bad as the DT - which is saying something.

Fox’s coverage reflects the treatment of AFL, which as we know has nothing to offer outside Australia. They consistently fail to acknowledge RL is played more widely. This echoes the more dim witted trolls who equate them equally.

Agreed Fox is just an extension of the Daily Telegraph.....look at where the journos mainly come from.

And the hysteria of alot of their content.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Well that's an example. But developing magazine programmes that show the game both domestically and in an international light.
Games from other leagues not just the UK.
Documentary style programmes on famous old games eg. 1990 2nd Test Aust v GB, old grand finals.
Tracing back old players and reliving their careers and highlights.
How about developing a 30 for 30 style series.
The game has heaps of stories it's about time Fox put in and helped develop and grow the game not just filled it with endless replays of Round 6, 2018.
Why would they sink good money into something 5 people and a dog will watch?
I think you overestimate the number of people watching, particularly in summer.
Accept mediocrity get mediocrity.
I'd argue your standards are an over-reach.
Nonsense, the French stream their domestic comp and it's reasonable quality. Why couldn't they pick that up.
Because they don't have the rights?

Life's Good

Coach
I rate the 89 GF as one of the best games ever but I’m sure I’ve seen it scheduled at least 5/6 times. I agree with the criticism about lack of variety.
I know they cancelled it but why not run replays of ’Sterlo’? One of the better quality shows that would provide a bit of variety.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Why would they sink good money into something 5 people and a dog will watch?
I think you overestimate the number of people watching, particularly in summer.

I'd argue your standards are an over-reach.

Because they don't have the rights?

The French League do the streaming and if Fox wanted it I'm pretty sure they could get it, even for free.

They don't have to sink the money into and they don't, the NRL needs to make it part of the contract force them to help grow the sport.

As a league supporter I want the game to grow allround not just the NRL, are you against that?

What was the first season you started to follow the game?

Timmah

Staff member
I rate the 89 GF as one of the best games ever but I’m sure I’ve seen it scheduled at least 5/6 times. I agree with the criticism about lack of variety.
I know they cancelled it but why not run replays of ’Sterlo’? One of the better quality shows that would provide a bit of variety.
One part where Fox Footy have been better than Fox League is re-running the magazine shows from throughout the year. They've put Bounce, On The Couch etc on right through. All Fox League have done apart from match archives is put The Fan on - which is great, but not enough.

Having said that, Matt Johns and NRL360 were hot garbage most of the year so I don't blame them. And nobody wants Professor re-runs.

Timmah

Staff member
The French League do the streaming and if Fox wanted it I'm pretty sure they could get it, even for free.

They don't have to sink the money into and they don't, the NRL needs to make it part of the contract force them to help grow the sport.

As a league supporter I want the game to grow allround not just the NRL, are you against that?

What was the first season you started to follow the game?
I want to grow the game as much as anyone else, I just think you're overestimating the impact of programming on a subscription TV channel during the off-season.

I'm not sure why you want to go personal.

Agree it is yet another deficiency in the negotiation of the media rights deal(s). Thanks again Umghh Aagh for all those beauties you organised. That set a nice trend of begging for anything to follow.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I want to grow the game as much as anyone else, I just think you're overestimating the impact of programming on a subscription TV channel during the off-season.

I'm not sure why you want to go personal.

How am I trying to go personal?

Life's Good

Coach
One part where Fox Footy have been better than Fox League is re-running the magazine shows from throughout the year. They've put Bounce, On The Couch etc on right through. All Fox League have done apart from match archives is put The Fan on - which is great, but not enough.

Having said that, Matt Johns and NRL360 were hot garbage most of the year so I don't blame them. And nobody wants Professor re-runs.

Definitely not advocating reruns of The Professor or The MJ Show but I think they could try harder by running League Life & Sterlo. There’s no cost involved & they would be repeats of shows that garnered good support.

TheRam

Coach
Yeah, but nobody subscribes directly to Fox League or Fox Footy so that negates your point lol

No it doesn't. They know that the overwhelming majority of subscribers are subscribing to Foxtel mainly for sport and that NRL and AFL are the major drivers of that. Period!

To suggest anything else is just wank. Just like you posts on this topic.

Big Pete

Referee
Definitely not advocating reruns of The Professor or The MJ Show but I think they could try harder by running League Life & Sterlo. There’s no cost involved & they would be repeats of shows that garnered good support.

Do they still run the interviews from Sterlo? They were the best part of the show and he always had on interesting guests.

League Life works for much of the same reason.

The problem with shows like 360, Matty Johns etc. is that they rely so heavily on context. The only way to salvage a show like Matty Johns is taking all the skits and making a compilation show, or throwing it in to kill 10-15 minutes of dead air.

Monday Roast

Juniors
To be fair, a list of memorable games by club over its history will not change much from one year to the next, but there are many other games which could be shown, as many have said, given the rich library at Fox's disposal.

To answer another question posed, why not show more games? Umm because it's easier not to....?

With that said, a mate of mine used to work at Fox Sports, in the 2012/13 off-season, he got in touch to ask if I could remember notable games for each club. So at least in that off-season, there was some work done on finding new classic games to show.

I also once asked him why they never show games from 1997 Super League season. He didn't have an answer, except to say the tapes existed. There's some games from that season I, and I'm sure many others here, would be interested in seeing again. No doubt there's a tonne more (one comes to mind as a Tigers supporter, the 2005 semi-final v. Brisbane - I can't recall this ever being replayed as a classic game).

LeagueXIII

First Grade
How am I trying to go personal?
You've repeatedly asked me when I started following the game / watching it on TV which is entirely irrelevant.

Not at all, what I was getting at was if you watched the sport grow in the late 80's early 90's with the help of Channel 10's coverage and their professional attitude towards the game and it's players you would understand my point of view more.

I take it you didn't follow the game in the 80's, particularly when the game was on it's knees in 1983 after the Four Corners program and the resignation of the games boss Kevin Humphreys and crowds averaging under 7000.

TheRam

Coach
Because it's the off-season?

Why would they waste money trying to attract viewers to further compete with Cricket? There's no new content on Fox Footy either.

I asked why we're being treated like a second class citizen - we're getting the same sort of stuff that Fox Footy is.

Mate it is a paid service. I'm not hacked in illegally and as such I want what I am paying for, which is new and relevant content. I'm not asking for a whole lot here mate. All I am suggesting is a panel show or two a week of new content. hardly a break the bank investment. Especially if they used new and untried hosts wanting to get their shot. Did you even read my post?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
So true that 2005 game between the Tigers and Broncos was a good game.

Also why do they only ever show the 1988 Panasonic Cup Final, it's been on 100 times. Show the 1984 and 1985 games, they were absolute rippers. Why not show old Brissy Club Grand Finals for something different, even Kangaroo tour games FFS against club/provincial teams. Make it interesting.

Life's Good

Coach
Do they still run the interviews from Sterlo? They were the best part of the show and he always had on interesting guests.

League Life works for much of the same reason.

The problem with shows like 360, Matty Johns etc. is that they rely so heavily on context. The only way to salvage a show like Matty Johns is taking all the skits and making a compilation show, or throwing it in to kill 10-15 minutes of dead air.

I recall they ran some Sterlo interviews as fillers during the season but nothing since. Pretty sure League Life got a run at the end of the season but that is now a few months ago so there’s definitely room for both these to get a run given plenty on here are frustrated with reruns of the same game(@LeagueXIII a good pick up on the 88 Panasonic Cup final. As a Dragons fan I love it but not once every couple of weeks).