What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official - Anasta To The Scum

Bumble

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/anastas-off-to-the-roosters/2005/07/11/1120934188750.html
Anasta's off to the Roosters
By Greg Prichard
July 12, 2005
South Sydney patriarch George Piggins last night got the news he was dreading - that his nephew, Braith Anasta, would join Sydney Roosters next season.

Anasta's manager, Greg Willett, met with Piggins at his home to give him the word. Despite his enormous disappointment, the first thing Piggins did was ring Anasta to wish him good luck.

Souths chief executive Shane Richardson was also at the meeting and the confirmation of Anasta's move was a second harsh blow for the Rabbitohs yesterday after their captain Ashley Harrison announced that he, too, was joining the Roosters.

Despite the talk in recent days that Anasta would go to the Roosters, Piggins had held out hope that the NSW five-eighth would return to the club for which he played as a junior.

But it wasn't to be and Piggins said Souths now had to concentrate on trying to sign the player who has been their other main priority all along, Melbourne halfback Matt Orford.

"Braith's going to the Roosters," Piggins said last night. "Greg Willett came over to tell me and Richo was here as well. It's very disappointing, because I would've loved to have seen him back at Souths, but I wish him all the best.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

"Football careers only last so long and at the end of the day Braith and I are family. We'll always be family and as long as we're mates that's the most important thing.

"I rang Braith's place, but he wasn't around at the time, so I told his brother, Damon, to wish him all the best for me. Braith will get back to me when he can."

Anasta's deal with the Roosters will run for three years and the club is expected to announce it once the details have been confirmed - probably by today.

Orford's manager, George Mimis, yesterday said that Melbourne, Souths and Manly were all still in the running in the race to sign the Storm star.

"There has been no major development since the end of last week," Mimis said. "But I'm very hopeful of bringing this matter to a conclusion later in the week. I think it will be Wednesday, Thursday or Friday before it is done and dusted." Manly remain the favourites to sign Orford and add him to their acquisition late last week from Melbourne - centre Steve Bell - but the longer he remains available, the more optimistic Souths will become about their chances. Staying with the Storm seems the least likely scenario for Orford.

Rabbitohs lock and captain Harrison signed with the Roosters on a three-year deal and said he had accepted less money to go there than he could have earned by accepting an offer to re-sign with Souths.

Harrison said the fact that the Rabbitohs had not been able to sign any of their primary targets - Orford, Anasta or Bell - by the time he came to make up his mind was a key factor in his choice.

"It was definitely a hard decision," Harrison said yesterday. "I was still up in the air when I went to see Chris [Orr, his manager] today, but we went through all of the pluses and minuses one last time and I came up with the Roosters.

"I was up front with Souths all along about wanting to see the club sign some good players and I waited for that to happen, but I didn't feel I could wait any longer.

"Souths gave me an opportunity and my football has improved since I've been there and I would've been captain there next year as well. Those things have been pretty hard for me to turn my back on."

Harrison said he had spoken with family members before making his decision and that they had told him to do what he thought was best for him. He said he felt comfortable when he made up his mind and that he had rung Richardson to inform him of his decision.

Richardson could not be contacted last night when the Herald tried to reach him after the Anasta development, but earlier in the day he said that following Harrison's decision all he could do was get on with trying to sign other players.

"I'm disappointed, but I knew it was coming," Richardson said. "At least Ashley rang me himself to tell me. All I can do now is wish him the best of luck for the future and get on with the job."

iggy plop

First Grade
The roosters lose a couple of players and fill the gaps in a little over a year.

Souths continually seem to have gaps to fill.

This aint fair!!

Draft???

Phillips

Referee
iggy plop said:
The roosters lose a couple of players and fill the gaps in a little over a year.

This aint fair!!

Draft???

Clearly the Roosters have better management.

izzo

Juniors
If Anasta came to Souths he would of been treated as a saviour to the club.

He's at the Roosters - 5 years after he retires people will be like Braith Who?

Have fun Braith, if it wasnt for Souths you wouldnt be playing football

Oh well another Souths junior added to the list

iggy plop said:

This aint fair!!

Draft???

A Draft will be about the only way to help the teams that continuely struggle

yobbo84

Coach
Sending your manager to deliver the news to your uncle is pretty weak in my books. Be a man and tell him yourself.

Jae

Juniors
As much as people are going to cry about bitch about this, as a Roosters fan I couldn't be happier.

OVP

Coach
yobbo84 said:
Sending your manager to deliver the news to your uncle is pretty weak in my books. Be a man and tell him yourself.

And having your uncle bleat and whine incessantly to the media non-stop IF HIS NEPHEW joins the Roosters is just what ? Threatening to never cheer him on etc etc. Piggins is great at threatening people, even his own relos.

Why the hell would Braith join a club where his sick uncle puts THAT amount of pressure on him ? Perhaps your club should get rid of Piggins for a start ... scare monger tactics, especially with your own relatives, are just low.

But thats Souths, and thats why noone wants a bar of them.

UNLESS Souths get rid of Piggins and his standover tactics, they will NEVER succeed or even sign anyone of note.

You reap what you sow. Unless you expunge Piggins from your club YOU WILL NEVER SUCCEED. Dont you get it by now ?

iggy plop

First Grade
OVP said:
And having your uncle bleat and whine incessantly to the media non-stop IF HIS NEPHEW joins the Roosters is just what ? Threatening to never cheer him on etc etc. Piggins is great at threatening people, even his own relos.

Why the hell would Braith join a club where his sick uncle puts THAT amount of pressure on him ? Perhaps your club should get rid of Piggins for a start ... scare monger tactics, especially with your own relatives, are just low.

But thats Souths, and thats why noone wants a bar of them.

UNLESS Souths get rid of Piggins and his standover tactics, they will NEVER succeed or even sign anyone of note.

You reap what you sow. Unless you expunge Piggins from your club YOU WILL NEVER SUCCEED. Dont you get it by now ?

You've probably got a point there.

OVP

Coach
iggy plop said:
You've probably got a point there.

Iggy, Do u remember a few years back when Piggins was FINALLY being challenged on the Souths board (1989 Souths got the minor premiership, 1990 was the year Piggins took over and they got the spoon in ONE YEAR) and Andrew Denton was basically threatened on-air by Piggins?. Mate, nothing has changed. He's a standover man and always will be, continuously lying and crying poor about Souths, but in fact it was his own Leagues club that was poor ... NOT SOUTHS. He only cares about his Leagues Club. Souths have always been rather well off since he was booted out. But dickheads like Hadley interview HIM and NOT Richardson or Pappas who are the true Souths people.

It's a sickness ... the media only believes what Piggins says but its all lies and smokescreens. I truly feel sorry for Souths because the real guys in there fighting for them, arent being given a go in any media. The very people Piggins relies on for his media coverage have eventually become his curse. Because no player, in his right mind, would willingly play for that club while Piggins is still involved.

Pigskin

Juniors
i'm glad they bought Anasta .... probly paid too much .... and is still grossly overrated

big chunk of their cap gone .... no premierships for the Rooters in the near future for mine

Oink !

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Anasta has just confirmed he is overrated as far as I'm concerned.

He took less money to go to a more successful club rather than help re-build an unsuccessful one that happens to be his junior club. If Anasta signed, Orford would have signed and possibly other players would have followed, Harrison wouldn't have left and Souths would be looking bloody good for next year. However the wuss took the weak option to go to Bondi Junction and guarantee rep selection for as long as he wants. Weak, Anasta, bloody weak!

iggy plop

First Grade
OVP said:
Iggy, Do u remember a few years back when Piggins was FINALLY being challenged on the Souths board (1989 Souths got the minor premiership, 1990 was the year Piggins took over and they got the spoon in ONE YEAR) and Andrew Denton was basically threatened on-air by Piggins?. Mate, nothing has changed. He's a standover man and always will be, continuously lying and crying poor about Souths, but in fact it was his own Leagues club that was poor ... NOT SOUTHS. He only cares about his Leagues Club. Souths have always been rather well off since he was booted out. But dickheads like Hadley interview HIM and NOT Richardson or Pappas who are the true Souths people.

It's a sickness ... the media only believes what Piggins says but its all lies and smokescreens. I truly feel sorry for Souths because the real guys in there fighting for them, arent being given a go in any media. The very people Piggins relies on for his media coverage have eventually become his curse. Because no player, in his right mind, would willingly play for that club while Piggins is still involved.

Sadly I agree with you.

One small point though, Piggins was the coach in 89 when they got the minor premiership.

He is a massive liability these days, but there are many at the club that won't hear one bad word of him. That's the problem. He was perfect in a time of war, if only he had of pissed off after that.