What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Aussie 23 man squad

borat

Bench
Australia's 2006 World Cup Squad is:

Goalkeepers:
Ante Covic (Hammarby, Sweden), Zeljko Kalac (AC Milan, Italy), Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough, England)

Defenders: Michael Beauchamp (Central Coast Mariners), Stan Lazaridis (uncontracted), Mark Milligan (Sydney FC), Craig Moore (Newcastle United, England), Lucas Neill (Blackburn Rovers, England), Tony Popovic (Crystal Palace, England)

Midfielders: Marco Bresciano (Parma, Italy), Tim Cahill (Everton, England), Scott Chipperfield (FC Basel, Switzerland), Jason Culina (PSV Eindhoven, Netherlands), Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers, England), Vince Grella (Parma, Italy), Harry Kewell (Liverpool, England), Josip Skoko (Stoke City, England), Mile Sterjovski (FC Basel, Switzerland), Luke Wilkshire (Bristol, England)

Forwards: John Aloisi (Alaves, Spain), Josh Kennedy (Dynamo Dresden, Germany), Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory), Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, England).

A bit surprised with Josh Kennedy, I have never even heard of him tbh. I suppose we did need a striker. Maybe a local striker may have been a better choice but Guus knows his stuff.

Elrich would definetly consider himself unlucky.

ali

Bench
The article says overlooked keeper Brad jones may consider switching his allegance to another nation. Who else is he eligable for?

borat

Bench
I beleive he has an English grandparent and his fiance is French. He is kidding himself if he thinks he would have a better chance of playing for France and England than Australia. I think he was just making a fuss to try to get ionto the WC squad.

Mong

Post Whore
I am surprised he didn't get a go... I don't really know much about the first 2 keepers listed though

Macca_

Coach
Are we a defender light? 6 of them. 10 midfielders...

Wouldn't think we'd need a 3rd keeper. Schwarzer and Kalac as 1 and 2, so it's not as though Jones would be getting a run. You'd be unlucky to use your 3rd string keep...

borat

Bench
Macca_ said:
Are we a defender light? 6 of them. 10 midfielders...

Wouldn't think we'd need a 3rd keeper. Schwarzer and Kalac as 1 and 2, so it's not as though Jones would be getting a run. You'd be unlucky to use your 3rd string keep...

I think that is the sign that Guus intends to play 3 across the back plus 1 or 2 defensive midfielders.

Bozo

Juniors
Not too bad overall.

Wilkshire is covering for Grella. :lol:

Milligan's inclusion is interesting as he was overlooked for the Bahrain game. While the far more experienced Milicevic was overlooked.

Mile Sterjovski over Elrich, dunno about that one, I would have taken Elrich based solely on his speed.

Big Mick © said:
Who the hell is Josh Kennedy

194 cm tall, based in Germany.

When he was playin' in the NSL:

one dude "he has got nothing, not going anywhere."
other "yeah too flat-footed"

fish eel

Immortal
Big Mick © said:
Stupid decision to take Covic ahead of Brad Jones.

Who the hell is Josh Kennedy

Why?

You pick your best three keepers.

Jones got dropped by Boro for some dude called Ross Turnball

Joshua Kennedy is 22.

Plays for Dynamo Dresden in Germany's second division. A regular goalscorer. Will be playing in the bundesliga next season for Nuremberg. Has played in some young socceroos sides.

Bozo

Juniors
The question remains. Who will be the three emergency standby players taken to Germany?

IMO,

Ljubo Milicevic
Ahmad Elrich
Brett Holman

fish eel

Immortal
I'd say those guys would be specials to be on standby.

Milicevic is unlucky. Champions League experience. Should have been picked ahead of either Milligan or Beauchamp.

lolesi

First Grade
MONY said:
Jones has been in tremendous form lately for boro

Why, cause he saved a Ruud penalty shot?

Other then that Jones has done sweet f**k all for Boro and did not deserve a spot in the WC.

borat

Bench
lolesi said:
Why, cause he saved a Ruud penalty shot?

Other then that Jones has done sweet f**k all for Boro and did not deserve a spot in the WC.

Jones has only really been on the scene while schwarzer has been injured whereas Covic has been to the training camps. Besides where only talking about 3rd choice keeper here. Not like they are going to get a run.

girvie

Staff member
What do you all think will be our best starting 11. And what style are we going to play?

How about this?
GK; Schwarzer
RB; Neill
CB; Moore
CB; Popovic
LB; Lazaridis
RM; Emerton
CM; Cahill
DM; Grella
LM; Bresciano
ST; Viduka
ST; Kewell

fish eel

Immortal
curry. said:
where the hell is tony vidmar?

hes been australias best over the past 12 months

he withdrew before the squad was announced, irregular heart beat or something

Bumble

First Grade
fish eel said:
I'd say those guys would be specials to be on standby.

Milicevic is unlucky. Champions League experience. Should have been picked ahead of either Milligan or Beauchamp.

Milicevic better than Beauchamp? No chance!

fish eel

Immortal
GK Schwarzer
CB Moore Beauchamp Neil
WB Emerton, Chipperfield
DB Grella
MC Culina Bresciano
AMC Kewell
CF Viduka