What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OFFICIAL New South Wales team, Game 2

Apey

Staff member
Defence is important.

However I don't think players who can defend and offer very little in attack is what NSW needs.

natheel

Coach
lol at a majority of people up in arms...im sur alot of the same people would have been clapping and cheering when he did it to slater....

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I agree with a previous poster that had it been someone other than Hayne they would have been suspended, but I'm sure the decision to not cite Slater for his grubbyness came into it.

A case of two wrongs being more fair than just one wrong.

Not it's not right, but there's alot about the whole bloody thing thats never sodding right.

Haynes inclusion is at least just when Slater is able to play.

I must have missed Slater's headbutt.

Big Pete

Referee
Did it hit?

No.

Did Hayne's headbutt hit?

Yes.

Are they both dirty players?

Yes.

Will watching them play next week be awesome?

Better believe it.

Yosh

Coach
Hayne hopefully plays like he did when he played for Fiji against Australia. He is going to be awesome...

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Did you miss his attempted Muay Thai style elbow strike too?

Nup, saw that. Just highlighting the absolute stupidity of considering the two incidents comparable. Your highlighted word only proves this further.

One thing is for sure - the headbutt is now legal in the NRL. Next we'll see eye gouging deemed kosher as long as the gouge is "not significant enough to cause injury".

Yosh

Coach
So is there an offical side named yet? Something like this?

1. Hayne
2. Brett Morris
3. Lyon
4. Cooper
5. Tahu

6. Kidley
7. Pearce

8. Softc*ck no.1
9. Ennis
10. Softc*k no.2
13. Watmough

14. TLL

Something like that? Can some fill in the gaps?

tony.

Juniors
Lyon and Watmough are out.
I'd say for Watmough's spot there'd be Gallen, but that's just what I think.

Lambretta

First Grade
I would much rather Beau Scott than Jennings, Lawrence or Champion in a hostile environment. At least he will dish out some good solid play, he may not be the greatest attacking centre but hopefully we target the other side of the field anyway with Morris and Cooper and make this a decider.

I have said before that Beau Scott is a great player and he has his definate uses. He gets the gig at Saints because he defends brilliantly next to a weaker defender. He is also one hell of a strong man and can create opportunities if the man outside him is lightning fast.

St George know this and have an electric wing player alongside him. We're considering Tahu or Idris. OK, so if Dugan (who is pure electric) gets the wing gig alongside Scott, Scott can cover the fact that Dugan isnt a winger and will make bad defensive reads to some degree, but why would you create a situation where you want to have bad defensive reads built into your team? The whole idea of a strong defensive centre is his defence. You dont then compensate that strength with a weakness..... unless you're New South Wales.

if Scott plays right centre, then he has to have a fast man outside him and Idris and Tahu arent that. Jennings or Lawrence would at least add speed, but they'd be playing out of position. Jennings could handle the task the best, but he'd also be better in the right centre position.

We need to pick the best players in each position and not worry about only stopping Inglis. If you want to stop Inglis, bring some idiot into the team, tell him to kick Inglis in the nuts as hard as he can and send Inglis to hospital. Of course idiot man will be sent off, but Inglis wont be running anywhere any time soon. The Storm wont care that much, as they cant get comp points.

Of course we wont do that (as the kiddies will cry) so lets pick someone that Queensland will worry about and take the game to them.

Lambretta

First Grade
So is there an offical side named yet? Something like this?

1. Hayne
2. Brett Morris
3. Cooper
4. Tahu / Scott
5. Idris
6. Barrett
7. Pearce
8. Weyman
9. Ennis
10. King
11. Waterhouse
12. O'Donnell
13. Gallen

14. TLL
15. White
16. Hindmarsh
17. Gidley

Something like that? Can some fill in the gaps?

Thats my take based on the squad

What I think they'll name (which will probably be the worst side possible from that squad...):

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Cooper
4. Scott
5. Tahu
6. Barrett
7. Gidley
8. Weyman
9. Ennis
10. King
11. Creagh
12. Hindmarsh
13. Gallen

14. TLL
15. White
16. Waterhouse
17. Idris

oldmancraigy

Coach
What I think they'll name (which will probably be the worst side possible from that squad...):

C'mon - let's at least make it the WORST possible:

1. Gidley
2. Dugan
3. Idris
4. Scott
5. Hayne
6. Barrett
7. Pearce
8. TLL
9. Ennis
10. King
11. White
12. Waterhouse
13. O'Donnell

14. Cooper
15. Morris
16. Creagh
17. Gallen

There - just about the worst possible squad from the 17 (and probably believable given the record of the selectors)

STG-Dragon

Juniors
The job of the centre is to score tries and set up his outside man. I like Beau Scott as a player, and I wouldn't mind him as an impact man off the bench, but I don't think he is an Origin centre by any means. These are the best performing centres over the past two seasons that are eligible for NSW selection:

Beau Champion

2009 - 16 games, 11 tries, 13 linebreaks, 4 LB assists, 2 try assists, 40 tackle breaks
2010 - 12 games, 14 tries, 10 linebreaks, 6 LB assists, 3 try assists, 25 tackle breaks

Josh Morris

2009 - 21 games, 22 tries, 19 linebreaks, 5 LB assists, 6 try assists, 58 tackle breaks
2010 - 11 games, 8 tries, 10 linebreaks, 1 LB assists, 1 try assists, 35 tackle breaks

Chris Lawrence

2009 - 18 games, 7 tries, 12 linebreaks, 9 LB assists, 7 try assists, 33 tackle breaks
2010 - 12 games, 8 tries, 7 linebreaks, 3 LB assists, 1 try assists, 28 tackle breaks

Michael Jennings

2009 - 19 games, 17 tries, 22 linebreaks, 4 LB assists, 6 try assists, 89 tackle breaks
2010 - 12 games, 7 tries, 5 linebreaks, 3 LB assists, 3 try assists, 56 tackle breaks

Jamie Lyon

2009 - 17 games, 9 tries, 6 linebreaks, 6 LB assists, 7 try assists, 48 tackle breaks
2010 - 11 games, 5 tries, 7 linebreaks, 5 LB assists, 7 try assists, 31 tackle breaks

Jamal Idris

2009 - 20 games, 7 tries, 12 linebreaks, 1 LB assists, 2 try assists, 98 tackle breaks
2010 - 11 games, 5 tries, 6 linebreaks, 3 LB assists, 1 try assists, 68 tackle breaks

Those are the only realistic options at centre for NSW. I would steer clear of Idris though, simply because of his all-or-nothing defensive technique that made Matt Cooper look like Steve Renouf a few weeks ago. I wouldn't pick Cooper - yes he is in decent form at the moment, but he has never aimed up at Origin, and doesn't have any particular outstanding feature that puts him ahead of the pack. Not to mention, he is injury prone and his last season was terribly poor.

Two of last seasons better centres from last year were:

Joel Monaghan (2009) - 22 games, 10 tries, 11 linebreaks, 2 LB assists, 2 try assists, 64 tackle breaks

Jarod Croker (2009) - 21 games, 12 tries, 12 linebreaks, 7 LB assists, 2 try assists, 88 tackle breaks

...but so far this season, Croker is yet to find the same stunning talent he showed last year, while Monaghan has had an injury plagued start to the season. I would definitely look at Croker's current centre partner however, either as a starting centre or as a high impact bench option.

Joel Thompson - 11 games, 8 tries, 12 linebreaks, 1 LB assists, 1 try assists, 49 tackle breaks

Imagine a genuine linebreaker like him coming off the bench in a critical moment, he could very well split the game wide open.

lol No defensive stats how convenient.

timka4

Bench
I hope the selectors dont put hindy on the bench, I would rather LOD swap off for some time for waterhouse, but I would keep Hindy and Gallen on the entire game

Latest posts