What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OFFICIAL New South Wales team, Game 2

perverse

Referee
when they named the team it was done in alphabetical order with no captain named

when they named the team for game 1 his name was read first and he was named as captain
the more i think about this... the more you've completely changed my mind. if the (c) was, in fact, ommitted from the announcement then one would have to assume that they arn't going to pick Gidley unless both Dugan and Hayne are ommitted.

i had only read the nrl.com team when i made my initial post in the thread... and now that i've had time to think about this i've changed my mind. i think they probably will start Dugan and use Gidley in the "super sub" capacity. i don't really mind if they go this way... but i hope Dugan absolutely kills it and it only helps his confidence... rather than the alternative. he's got a bright future.

Do not pick Pearce this year, I've never criticised selectors until today.

In fact I think they will put Barrett in the No.7 jersey, with Gidley at 6, Hayne obviously at 1. I hope Hayne is cleared. My fav. match of all time was when Barrett played at 7, in Origin III 2004.

bullsh*t. Let me see, who's opinion should I take: Wayne Bennett's, or some f**kwit Tigers supporter having a cry? I think I'll go with the former.

Mind you, Lawrence definitely should have been picked (at the least) ahead of Idris. Better player with more experience. And if Galloway isn't injured then he should have got a run ahead of the cream puff White. There's a bees dick between Ennis and Farah as far as I'm concerned, so I'm happy whichever way they jump between those two.

Put Scott and Lawrence on the open market and see who would be most in demand. I think even Bennett would opt for Lawrence over Scott.

Chris Lawrence is quick, skillful and a solid defender. How he is not selected behind 5 other centres (including Lyon) is beyond me. I would not swap him for any of the 5 selected.

If he played for the Dogs, Dragons, Eels, Knights, Roosters or Eagles he would be a certain selection.

Hopefully next year we will have a new NSW coach and selectors.

Destroyed them NSW won game three that year Queensland scored less points in that game then they have for three seasons. Inglis still didn't score and if he killed him that much why hasn't he scored when Jennings has marked him ?

He also hasn't been completely routed the fact that Inglis supposedly killed Jennings and his teams could only score 7 tries in 3 matches. Shows what you have said is completely over blown. If he had destroyed him that much in one of these games surely they would of scored more then 20 points we are talking 3 matches and 240 minutes of Jennings marking him and he still hasn't scored, his team still hasn't scored 20 points in a game.

Surely quality footballing sides would of seen such a weakness if it was this blatantly obvious ?

If it was truly that one sided and Jennings was that awful then how come in the two games you mentioned the opposition only scored 34 points combined ?

Inglis did more damage when Jamie Lyon was marking him last season. We tried the whole defensive centre and he still dominated How has Jennings done worse.

NSW won game 3 last year because QLD had a week long drink.

I agree with you about Jennings. What has Tahu, Cooper and Scott done this year. In the games I have watched not a lot.

They have picked 4 centres in front of Jennings. I would also have Chris Lawrence in the side. This alone shows that the coach and selectors have no idea.

We need to score points to win and both Lawrence and Jennings bring that to a team. I don't think the QLD centres are worried when Copper or Scott have the ball but they would be if it was Lawrence or Jennings.

redvscotty

First Grade
The only way for nsw to score points is not to have pearce at halfback , gidley and Barrett are the only halves what at least gives nsw a chance to score points.

Pearce isnt creative enough to get points

I hope NSW goes for the suicide move and put pearce at halfback , end of Bellamy surely

After many moons of dribble like this, I still wonder whether you are a troll or not.

Have you even been watching Pearce lately?

Pearce was going to be picked for the 1st one , he will be the starting half, Scott was also going to be picked for the 1st one if he wasnt injured, he will be a centre , tahu on one wing.

Gidley is the problem , how they ever named him captain, NSW selectors shot themselves in the foot there. I dont understands NSW selctors love fest with him.

Im happy Perry was dropped, hes not much of a frontrower. In saying that Weyman needs to step up in this game and White is very lucky he didnt suffer the same fate as Perry.

Sleep

Juniors
According to the papers today Dugan, Hindmarsh, Pearce and Idris are all on standby for other players and will be the ones left out.

Obviously Dugan is Hayne's replacement. Gidley is set to be named halfback. Hindmarsh would come in for Lewis I guess and Idris is there just incase anything happens to the guy running water for the team.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Anyone who doesn't have Gidley in the starting 13 and captain is pulling himself ... the selectors will not change.

timmybrown

Juniors
Didn't catch the team last night.

Got to work today, saw the paper. Got to say, not happy at the least. Yet another combination, yet another stupid selection where these idiot selectors are judging by one week's game only. And they call that "current form"? how's judging by 1 week current form?

Why the hell is cooper & white in there?? Where will they play Gidley this time?.. NOT HAPPY JAN.

I think the selectors are closet QLD fans.

franklin2323

Immortal
Any 2 of these centres are better then we have now Morris, Jennings, Champion, Lawrence. None of whom I would call a bad defender and will get us to score points. You know that QLD team will score 4 tries yet our team will struggle to score 2 unless it rains and we just kick again.

As for Noa's post did you not watch Penrith and Storm at CUA Jennings put some big hits on Inglis and kept him pretty quiet. Look at our team stats the tries come down the other side but As I said any 2 of the above I would be happy with doing the job. I put Lyon in that category but he is injured so can't play

_snafu_

Immortal
Sit here and tell me with a straight face that Scott is a good attacking player.

Is he dangerous with ball in hand? Is he fast? Can he create something? Does he have an x-factor?

No, no, no and no.

Prove it otherwise instead of calling me a f**kwit. Is there a single non-Dragons supporter that thinks Scott should be playing Origin? I doubt it.

BTW, I was arguing for Jennings to be selected before Lawrence, and at the least someone who is, you know, capable of scoring points.

Bennett seems to think Scott is a must for the Blues.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/bustling-beau-scott-a-must-for-blues-wayne-bennett/story-e6frexnr-1225848246310

I would take the opinion of a well respected and successful NRL coach over a geniused Tigers supporter any day.

Fein

First Grade
Beau Scott has made the most tackles of any centre in the NRL. Guess who is number 2, Chris Lawrence.

Beau Scott - 205 tackles, 19 missed, 25 ineffective, 20.5 tackles/game
Chris Lawrence - 196 tackles, 22 missed, 13 ineffective, 16.3 tackles/game

There is a fair bit between Chris and the next guy. So Beau seems to be a more consistent tackler, but you can hardly suggest that Chris is poor, in fact, stats call him one of the best defensive centres in the NRL this year. So let's compare their attack.

Beau Scott:
10 games, 1 try, 1 linebreak, 23 offloads, 23 tackle breaks, 9.8 runs/game, 79.1 metres/game.

Chris Lawrence:
12 games, 8 tries, 7 linebreaks, 5 offloads, 28 tackle breaks, 9.9 runs/game, 86.6 metres/game.

Beau has the most offloads of any centre in the league, his stats read like a backrowers. They really pale in comparison to the attacking stats (offloads aside) of Lawrence.

So basically, Scott is a slightly better defender, but a non existent attacking option. Wouldn't you rather the player with both attacking and defensive strengths?

Just for a variable. The other big name NSW centres are as follows.

Matt Cooper:
9 games, 9 tries, 7 linebreaks, 31 tackle breaks, 10.9 runs/game, 95.1 metres/game, 18.9 tackles/game (deserves his spot)

Timana Tahu:
11 games, 4 tries, 4 linebreaks, 22 tackle breaks, 9.5 runs/game, 71.7 metres/game, 15.2 tackles/game (doesn't seem to have the impact of the other nominees, in either defense OR attack)

Josh Morris:
11 games, 8 tries, 10 linebreaks, 35 tackle breaks, 9.6 runs/game, 88.5 metres/game, 14.5 tackles/game (better than Tahu, equal to the other options in attack, not in defense)

Michael Jennings:
12 games, 7 tries, 5 linebreaks, 56 tackle breaks, 11.2 runs/game, 103.2 metres/game, 13.3 tackles/game (the best attacking centre in NSW, not a noted tackler, but not poor either)

Beau Champion: (before tonights game)
11 games, 12 tries, 9 linebreaks, 22 tackle breaks, 8.3 runs/game, 81.5 metres/game, 12.8 tackles/game (getting to the tryline frequently makes him seem a bit better than he is, still not the worst option of our top line centres)

Jamie Lyon:
10 games, 5 tries, 7 linebreaks, 31 tackle breaks, 7.6 runs/game, 65.5 metres/game, 13 tackles/game (the few big plays he makes give him the illusion of superstardom, the truth is he IS a superstar and the low stats are as a result of him being given the opportunity to inject himself at opportune moments, has the most try assists of any centre in the league, his reputation as a defensive centre are unwarranted however)

Jamal Idris:
11 games, 5 tries, 6 linebreaks, 68 tackle breaks, 12.2 runs, 108.2 metres/game, 11.1 tackles/game (his critics are really for the most part unwarranted, his main issue is his ineffective tackles, he has more ineffective tackles than any centre in the league and ranks highly in missed tackles, his tackle breaking and metre eating is second to none though)

Just for posterity really. Reading these stats has changed my tune quite a bit regarding Jamal Idris, maybe having him come off the bench isn't the worst idea, especially if their plan comes good. Cooper certainly deserves his spot but Tahu does not. Lyon shouldn't really be a given either. In my opinion the top three centres NSW have (and I'm surprised these stats have given me this indication) are Cooper, Lawrence and Idris.

Good post and some interesting stats.

My argument for Beau Champion is that he outplayed Lawrence, Brett Morris and Jennings in the games Souths played against these blokes this year.

He has to be close to THE form centre in the game at the moment, certainly from a NSW S.O.O. perspective anyway.

As good a player Cooper has been in the past, I'd give him a miss and go with some young blood.

Beau Scott is an absurd selection however it typifies where the NSW selectors are mentally.

When that talking corpse Colin Love read the team out last night, it was as though he'd seen a ghost.

Twenty f**king one!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

Is it any wonder that Queenslanders are laughing at NSW?

As a born and bred Blue, even I'm f**king laughing.

Well, it's better than crying isn't it?

hybrid_tiger

Coach

Fein

First Grade
Yeah keep telling yourself that.

I notice that not one person in this thread has answered my questions about Scott's attack.

That's because there is no answer, i.e. the answer is none. :lol:

One Lawrence is the equal of three Beau Scott's when it comes to attack.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
I'm assuming one of the selectors had a crazy night in Newcastle and wound up in bed with three transvestite prostitutes while Gidley sat there with a camcorder and has been using it as leverage ever since. There is absolutely no other possible explanation for how he keeps getting picked.

Fein

First Grade
I'm assuming one of the selectors had a crazy night in Newcastle and wound up in bed with three transvestite prostitutes while Gidley sat there with a camcorder and has been using it as leverage ever since. There is absolutely no other possible explanation for how he keeps getting picked.

:lol::lol:

Mate, it would have to be 5 surely!!!