What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official RLWC2017 Draw

Evil Homer

Staff member
f**k me you're thick.

It's not about anyone thinking they have a God given right to host WC matches.

Work with facts. Fact is that Sydney is not any where near as strong as it should be for international rugby league.

Considering it is our largest market for the game that we have a very f**king strong foothold it, it seems logical that we should try and strengthen this markets interest in international rugby league and then capitalise on it. Thus, nurturing and developing this market.

But you're saying that we should just ignore it because we've been playing international football there for over 100 years? f**king moron.

WA has been playing league since the 40's. Why haven't they developed a comp similar in quality and popularity to the NSWRL or QRL? They've had enough time. Why should we try developing the game there any further? Same arguments could be had for Victoria, NZ, southern England, etc etc.
To be honest I've thought for some time now that international RL probably needs to bypass Sydney for a while to actually grow there. Shoving a product onto a reluctant market isn't really an effective way to create demand. Make them feel like they're missing out, make international RL seem like a special event and a priviledge for them rather than a chore and the interest will build.

I feel bad for Newcastle fans more than anything because I don't think they have the same apathy as Sydney.

Last Week

Bench
To be honest I've thought for some time now that international RL probably needs to bypass Sydney for a while to actually grow there. Shoving a product onto a reluctant market isn't really an effective way to create demand. Make them feel like they're missing out, make international RL seem like a special event and a priviledge for them rather than a chore and the interest will build.

I feel bad for Newcastle fans more than anything because I don't think they have the same apathy as Sydney.

I agree in a sense. But in saying that, we've had 2 Kangaroos matches since the 08 world cup and one of those was against Papua New Guinea at Parramatta.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I agree in a sense. But in saying that, we've had 2 Kangaroos matches since the 08 world cup and one of those was against Papua New Guinea at Parramatta.
The Kangaroos have only played England twice since 2011. Blame the ARL for that.

adamkungl

Immortal

International RL has basically bypassed Sydney for the last 8 years.
What it needs is a big game, one that isn't a foregone conclusion and actually has something at stake.
A semi final would have been nice.. but oh well.

Pommy

Coach
International RL has basically bypassed Sydney for the last 8 years.
What it needs is a big game, one that isn't a foregone conclusion and actually has something at stake.
A semi final would have been nice.. but oh well.

Or even an opening game against England with a big name Aussie coach on the nations biggest sporting rivals side.

Pommy

Coach
No. I think the game should sell its premium product to the highest bidder that can meet the criteria I set above. No city has a God given right to host IRL. My logical reason is that IRL could and should become the cash cow for the games international development that it is for rugby union.

So if the RLWC is to be a cash cow for IRL development we can pretty much discount it not being held anywhere except Australia or England then?

paulmac

Juniors
I think there is still time to move a couple of games to Sydney.The games I would move are Tonga v Scotland from the Cairns double header in week one.Play this game at Penrith as it has a large Tongan community and we could use Penrith juniors and Scotland players Peter Wallace & Lachlan Coote to promote it.The second game I would move is the semi final from Brisbane - I don't think Brisbane needs a semi AND a final.This would mean a match in Sydney in 3 of the first four weeks which would be sufficient.Also with the SFS don't sell tickets for the top tier of the grandstand that the cameras are on which reduces capacity to about 32,000.Will give the games a sellout look even with 25k there which should be achievable.

Last Week

Bench
So if the RLWC is to be a cash cow for IRL development we can pretty much discount it not being held anywhere except Australia or England then?

Unfortunately, yes, I believe this will be the case for the time being.

I see the UK hosting 2021. Possibly 2025 will be more NZ based, but there will still be matches in Australia.

The new Intercontinental cup may change things with profits here going to the RLIF now.

Pommy

Coach

I see the UK hosting 2021. Possibly 2025 will be more NZ based, but there will still be matches in Australia.

The new Intercontinental cup may change things with profits here going to the RLIF now.

I guess that depends on how the kiwis take to the games this time. If the games outside Auckland bomb its not going to do their chances any good of being the primary host in 8 years time.

PaulyTom

Juniors
I guess that depends on how the kiwis take to the games this time. If the games outside Auckland bomb its not going to do their chances any good of being the primary host in 8 years time.

Out of interest does anyone know if Hamilton has a large Samoan and Tongan community?

Perth Red

Post Whore
f**k me you're thick.

It's not about anyone thinking they have a God given right to host WC matches.

Work with facts. Fact is that Sydney is not any where near as strong as it should be for international rugby league.

Considering it is our largest market for the game that we have a very f**king strong foothold it, it seems logical that we should try and strengthen this markets interest in international rugby league and then capitalise on it. Thus, nurturing and developing this market.

But you're saying that we should just ignore it because we've been playing international football there for over 100 years? f**king moron.

WA has been playing league since the 40's. Why haven't they developed a comp similar in quality and popularity to the NSWRL or QRL? They've had enough time. Why should we try developing the game there any further? Same arguments could be had for Victoria, NZ, southern England, etc etc.

lol I'm thick? You cant seem to understand the basic concept that IRL games are a premium sports products that State Govt, cities or stadiums are willing to pay premium prices for and that the RLIF/NRL/SL need that funding for development work. If Sydney wants an IRL game get your hands in your pocket and fcking pay for one and then get off your arses and act like the supposed RL heartland you pertain to be an fill the stadium for it!

re the perth league. Pokie machines and the fact it is an AFL city, would have thought even you would be able to understand that lol.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Out of interest does anyone know if Hamilton has a large Samoan and Tongan community?
I went to the Samoa V Wales pool game in Hamilton and the atmosphere was superb, Plenty of samoan support. It's proximity to south Auckland and indeed other southern regional centres should hopefully see a sellout.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Yep unless the hosting nation guarantees $X income for hosting it. Given the limited reach of IRL its not like many others are going to be falling over themselves to host it for the foreseeable future/

undertaker

Coach
I was critical in my previous posts about the venue allocation of the World Cup.

http://www.rlwc2017.com/fixtures

I had a look at the full draw released yesterday (with the kickoff times) and it's an even bigger joke.

- Who is the moron who thought it was a great idea to have matches in Cairns kicking off at 2pm and 4pm in late-October? Have they ever been to Cairns, let alone at that time of the year. With a dew point temperature > 20 degrees as it is currently in Cairns (i.e. indicating high humidity/oppressiveness) and at a time in the game in Australia when the NRL is emphasising about on-field player safety and welfare, this is a recipe for disaster.

- Same thing starting a match in Townsville at 4:30pm on November 5. There is a reason why the Nth QLD Cowboys play their home matches on Friday night/Saturday night.

- Having all of PNG's games in the afternoon gives them a huge advantage over their opposition, especially the crucial cross-pool game.

- Game starting at 3:30pm in Perth on November 12 is a gamble, as Perth can easily reach 35+ degrees in November.

OT, if Ch7/7Mate are broadcasting all games in the tournament and Ch7 will have the Australian matches, it will be interesting to see what happens, given there are many games that overlap.

The positive is the ticket prices, they are a bit more reasonably priced than I expected them to be

Last edited:

Burns

First Grade
How many games overlap?

I agree that the draw is stacked against teams playing against PNG. Pretty much the entire northern hemisphere is going to struggle.

adamkungl

Immortal
I was critical in my previous posts about the venue allocation of the World Cup.

http://www.rlwc2017.com/fixtures

I had a look at the full draw released yesterday (with the kickoff times) and it's an even bigger joke.

- Who is the moron who thought it was a great idea to have matches in Cairns kicking off at 2pm and 4pm in late-October? Have they ever been to Cairns, let alone at that time of the year

Probably the same bloke who quit at the first sign of criticism.
But hey, they got the $$$ right, who cares??

Hopefully the kickoff times are wrong. No game in Perth, QLD or PNG should be played earlier than 6pm.

undertaker

Coach
Probably the same bloke who quit at the first sign of criticism.
But hey, they got the $$$ right, who cares??

This. Nice stab at Perth Red there.

Hopefully the kickoff times are wrong. No game in Perth, QLD or PNG should be played earlier than 6pm.

100% agree.

Hope the kickoff times are wrong too, but unfortunately I think what was published will be confirmed.

It was incredibly frustrating to see the venue allocation but it's even more frustrating to see the kickoff times for several of those matches. Also, S/F in Brisbane on a Friday night at 7pm (due to daylight savings) will be hard to sell-out, even if Australia plays in it. This fixture should've been and would've got a larger crowd on Saturday night

Had more thought and proper planning gone into this process, this tournament had a lot of potential of eclipsing the 2013 RLWC.

How many games overlap?

All kickoff times listed below are AEDST

Saturday October 28

5:30pm - New Zealand vs Samoa
5:30pm - PNG vs Euro 1

Sunday October 29

3pm - Samoa vs Tonga
4pm - France vs Lebanon
5pm - Euro 2 vs Euro 3

Sunday November 5

5pm - PNG vs Euro 2
5:30pm - Fiji vs Euro 1

Saturday November 11

6:30pm - Samoa vs Scotland
8pm - Australia vs Lebanon

It's of my understanding that Australia's games and the final will be on the main Ch7 channel with the others on 7Mate, so the November 11 situation is not an issue. However, an interesting scenario arises on the other 3 days listed above as to what will happen, as the games overlap.

I agree that the draw is stacked against teams playing against PNG. Pretty much the entire northern hemisphere is going to struggle.

This.

As much as Aussies like to take the piss out of the Poms, England have definitely been screwed with the travel arrangements. They have to travel from Melbourne to Sydney to Perth to potentially Melbourne (as Australia's Q/F will be played at Darwin) to potentially Auckland for the S/F to potentially Brisbane for the final.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
It's such a bad draw for so many reasons. You could randomly pull from a hat and come up with something better, it boggles the mind someone designed this thing on purpose.

Latest posts