What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official team v Canberra

LeagueNut

First Grade
This thread in the U20s forum says there's no requirement for # of games, it just goes by age. If you're under 20 you're elibigle. Not sure if that's right, but I hope it is.

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
I know Im probably going to be heckled and boo'ed for this comment but does the Toyota Cup really mean anything? I can't even remember who won last year

ozbash

Referee
it means more than the NRL for Warriors fans..

I have really enjoyed NYC, really good footy.

Meth

Staff member
I know Im probably going to be heckled and boo'ed for this comment but does the Toyota Cup really mean anything? I can't even remember who won last year

The rise in significance and profile of the Toyota Cup is one of the very best things that the NRL has done for the development of the game

PASSION

Juniors
WHY??

Why has Daniel OReagan not played for a long time?

Why give Likiliki only one game, and then leave him off the following week, this will not give the boy a chance to get any confidence?

Why was Isaac John not given more time to play. In his last game played 60 minutes against the Dragons. and imo played well. It was the last 20 minutes of the game that the team played real bad and he wasn't on the field then.
Heremaia has had alot more time on the field, why not try him at 7/6 and partner him up with John.
Why not have Stacey on the bench and try others out. Or just waiting for Ozzie imports, and not give the ones here more time on the field?
It is not like we are going to get anywhere near the top eight. I will still be there every week to support them.

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
it means more than the NRL for Warriors fans..

I have really enjoyed NYC, really good footy.

Agreed that the footy played is enjoyable to watch but Im just saying in the whole scheme of things if we win, will anybody outside of NZ really care or remember?

My point is I suppose is, does it really matter as much as we make it out to be at the moment? I think we should be giving some of these players like Johnson, Mara, Likiliki etc a shot in the first grade for the last few games so it makes their transition into First grade easier next year and so we get a good headstart for th 2010 season. Even if lets say Johnson has a shocker in a 1st grade game this year which everyones scared he will, then at least he will have the whole off-season to get over it and work on the things he needs to improve. Anyway the team are in the 8 so fingers crossed even if they let some go into the Top Grade for remaining games they will still in the 8 and the young guys can return and still experience finals footy.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Packer and Matulino will definately be ineligible. You can't play close to an entire season of first grade and then just waltz into the NYC for the finals. Locke I get a feeling is also ineligible but not 100% on that one.

Meth

Staff member
Why give Likiliki only one game, and then leave him off the following week, this will not give the boy a chance to get any confidence?

Why did we give Likiliki that game at all- there was nothing to be gained from rushing him in like that

Rich102

Staff member
Agreed that the footy played is enjoyable to watch but Im just saying in the whole scheme of things if we win, will anybody outside of NZ really care or remember?

My point is I suppose is, does it really matter as much as we make it out to be at the moment? I think we should be giving some of these players like Johnson, Mara, Likiliki etc a shot in the first grade for the last few games so it makes their transition into First grade easier next year and so we get a good headstart for th 2010 season. Even if lets say Johnson has a shocker in a 1st grade game this year which everyones scared he will, then at least he will have the whole off-season to get over it and work on the things he needs to improve. Anyway the team are in the 8 so fingers crossed even if they let some go into the Top Grade for remaining games they will still in the 8 and the young guys can return and still experience finals footy.

I know what you are saying but they are one of two teams representing the Warriors, and the only one playing attractive football at the moment. If I had to choose I would watch the Juniors.
I find it very hard, living outside Auckland, trying to keep up with the players in contention for the Warriors. Supposedly the Vulcans are the reserve side, but we never see them and their results aren't great.
But they are supposed to have a great centre, who we never see, so can't comment on.
If Cleary isn't going to give Johnson a run in the Warriors this season I would like to see him given a game in the Vulcans, see how he steps up. If he handles that then run him in the Warriors.
Back to your question. The Juniors are carrying the Warrior's pride at the moment. If they do well it may ease a bit of the pain this season has brought.
And yes, for mine this is the worst Warriors season ever! (And, under the present management, I can't see it getting better.)

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Why did we give Likiliki that game at all- there was nothing to be gained from rushing him in like that

A lot of people have been calling for him to play for a couple of months now. I would disagree that there's nothing to be gained. He's now got his debut out of the way, he has experienced NRL football - how to prepare for it, what the pace is like, etc etc so that's definitely something he's gained.

If he's seen as a Warriors centre of the future then it was a good move.

I'm pretty sure you have to have played 70 percent of the season too, but I'm certain it has something to do with the NRL as well. Ie if a guy came from club footy and played the second half of the season, I'm sure he'd be qualified.

Hell, I think anyone should be allowed. If they're young enough, they qualify. Imagine Matulino, Packer and Locke running around with the team in the finals.

And as for who cares, we definitely do. Our top side has let us down badly and we take pride that our Juniors are going well. They are the future of the club and them doing well can only bode well. And plus they play some tremendous footy that is great to watch.

Would it be the club's first premiership? Or have we won something at reserve/age group level before...

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
I have not even watched the last two Warriors games, and this time im going for the Raiders - Warriors Managment need to be tough a harsh lesson

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Would it be the club's first premiership? Or have we won something at reserve/age group level before...

I think our reserve graders were beaten Grand Finalists in '96. I could be wrong. I remember watching the game, I think we were playing Cronulla in the rain. Nigel Vagana was playing for that Warriors team.

Meth

Staff member
A lot of people have been calling for him to play for a couple of months now. I would disagree that there's nothing to be gained. He's now got his debut out of the way, he has experienced NRL football - how to prepare for it, what the pace is like, etc etc so that's definitely something he's gained.

If he's seen as a Warriors centre of the future then it was a good move..

I was one of those calling for his inclusion earlier on. I don't know if that was right or wrong, but I think we left it too late and should have left him off the sinking ship and in the Toyota Cup for his further development.

Promote Kemp, Tongia, Mellars.....

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Last year in the Toyota Cup eligibility was a free-for-all as long as both teams were either still in the first grade finals, or both eliminated from the first grade finals.