What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official team v Titans - wa wa wee wa!

1KEVIN LOCKE
2PATRICK AH VAN
3ELIJAH TAYLOR
4JOEL MOON
5MANU VATUVEI
6AARON HEREMAIA
7STACEY JONES
8SAM RAPIRA
9LEWIS BROWN
10RUSSELL PACKER
11SIMON MANNERING
12BEN MATULINO
13MICHEAL LUCK (c)
Interchange:
14LANCE HOHAIA
15EVARN TUIMAVAVE
16JACOB LILLYMAN
17UKUMA TA’AI

Last edited:

The Colonel

Immortal
Taylor to make NRL debut against Titans

Vodafone Junior Warriors captain Elijah Taylor will make his first-grade debut in a much-changed line-up for the club’s 22nd-round NRL clash against Gold Coast at Mount Smart Stadium on Sunday.

Hawera-born Taylor (19) replaces experienced Kiwi international Jerome Ropati in the centres, becoming Vodafone Warrior No 155 and the club’s eighth NRL debutant this year.
Still eligible for a third season with the Vodafone Junior Warriors in the National Youth Competition next season, the versatile Taylor can play in the centres, at standoff and in the back row.
Since the NYC began last year, he has missed only one of the Vodafone Junior Warriors’ 46 matches in the competition. He is the club’s eighth NYC player to be promoted to the first-grade side following Sonny Fai, Russell Packer and Ben Matulino last season plus Leeson Ah Mau, Daniel O’Regan, Kevin Locke and Isaac John this year. Ukuma Ta’ai, Lewis Brown and Aaron Heremaia have also made their initial NRL appearances this season.
While Ropati will be absent from the line-up this Sunday so will seasoned fullback Wade McKinnon, young standoff John and hooker Ian Henderson.
McKinnon has been stood down this week after arriving late at the Vodafone Warriors’ recovery session in Parramatta on Sunday following the 32-32 draw with Penrith on Saturday. He has been replaced at fullback by Locke while Patrick Ah Van returns on the right wing for his 51st match outside Taylor.
After playing the last three matches alongside Stacey Jones, John has been replaced at standoff by Heremaia, who’ll make his seventh appearance after being used mainly at hooker in his previous outings. He regularly plays in the halves for the Auckland Vulcans in the New South Wales Cup.
And Brown, who has been used in the back row so far, is given an opportunity in his first-choice position at hooker ahead of regular No 9 Henderson. With Brown moving into the starting line-up, second rower Ta’ai comes back onto the bench for his sixth NRL match while captain Steve Price, who missed the Penrith match with a rib cartilage injury, hasn’t been considered for a return yet.
Vodafone Warriors coach Ivan Cleary said the changes gave the side a fresh balance.
“In Elijah’s case, it’s great that we’re able to give a debut to another player who has come through our system,” he said.
“In the last two seasons we’ve seen the benefits of the NYC competition and the chance it has given us to bring through local players. It’s more proof the programme is working and in Elijah we have another player who clearly has a lot to offer. We used him in the trials this year and he has been close to breaking into the NRL for some time.
“While it’s exciting to have him in the side it’s disappointing that we’ve needed to stand Wade down. He has been playing strongly for us but we expect our players to abide by the team protocols we have in place.”
Cleary said that gave Locke the chance to play in his preferred position of fullback where he has excelled for the Vodafone Junior Warriors over the last two years.
Second rower Simon Mannering will make his 97th NRL appearance on Sunday while Cleary will also reach the same mark for games as the club’s NRL coach. They’re both set to mark their 100th milestones in the 25th-round encounter with the Bulldogs.
Along with fellow back rower Jacob Lillyman, Mannering is the only player who has appeared in all of the Vodafone Warriors’ 19 games so far this season.
Meanwhile, Micheal Luck, who’ll again captain the side this weekend, is well set to break the 1000-tackle barrier. After making an NRL record 74 tackles in the 14-14 extra-time draw with Melbourne earlier in the season, he finished with 65 in the golden point draw last Saturday night. That has boosted his season-high total to 838 in 18 games (an average 46.6 per match) with five rounds still to go in the regular season. Next best on 770 is one of his opponents on Sunday, Gold Coast hooker Nathan Friend. Luck was the NRL’s top tackler in the last two seasons with 957 tackles in 25 matches in 2008 and 959 in 26 games in 2007.
VODAFONE WARRIORS v GOLD COAST TITANS
Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland
2.00pm, Sunday, August 9

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1KEVIN LOCKE
2PATRICK AH VAN
3ELIJAH TAYLOR
4JOEL MOON
5MANU VATUVEI
6AARON HEREMAIA
7STACEY JONES
8SAM RAPIRA
9LEWIS BROWN
10RUSSELL PACKER
11SIMON MANNERING
12BEN MATULINO
13MICHEAL LUCK (c)
Interchange:
14LANCE HOHAIA
15EVARN TUIMAVAVE
16JACOB LILLYMAN
17UKUMA TA’AI
COACH: IVAN CLEARY

http://www.warriors.co.nz/news/323/taylor-to-make-nrl-debut-against-titans

Scott

Bench
That's an improvement.
Locke at the back is going to be exciting.
Taylor should do well in the centres.
Brown at 9 is very good as well.

Meth

Staff member
meh

So Taylor for Ropati, Heremaia for John, Tai'i for Henderson, Ah Van for McKinnon

McKinnon dropped for disciplinary reasons. Ropati is likely dropped on account of fitness. Henderson dropped. I'm not really that excited

Great to say goodbye to Ropati was dropped and I'm excited to see what Taylors' got. I'm sure, defensively, his side will be tested, even without Delaney.

Great to see what Locke has got at the back

Good to see Heremaia back in, but at the expense of John. I know it was never going to go any other way, but a 6. John 7. Heremaia combination would have been much more exciting to me.

Ho hum

meh

So Taylor for Ropati, Heremaia for John, Tai'i for Henderson, Ah Van for McKinnon

McKinnon dropped for disciplinary reasons. Ropati is likely dropped on account of fitness. Henderson dropped. I'm not really that excited

Great to say goodbye to Ropati was dropped and I'm excited to see what Taylors' got. I'm sure, defensively, his side will be tested, even without Delaney.

Good to see Heremaia back in, but at the expense of John. I know it was never going to go any other way, but a 6. John 7. Heremaia combination would have been much more exciting to me.

Ho hum

Ok, so what 'exciting' changes were you hoping for? Superman and Batman debuting in the halves, with Fred Flinstone lining up at prop?

So few changes that it took you 5 paragraphs to discuss them?

Scott

Bench
meh

Ho hum

:roll:

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Really looking forward to seeing Locke @ Fullback. Even though it is at the expense of McKinnon. Glad to see Ropati has been dropped. I might actually watch the NRL Warriors after all.

Go the Junior Warriors!!!

Meth

Staff member
Ok, so what 'exciting' changes were you hoping for? Superman and Batman debuting in the halves, with Fred Flinstone lining up at prop?

Hilarious :sarcasm:

Ropati being dropped is good- don't get me wrong.

Honestly, no matter how resigned I present that I am to Jones being there for the rest of the season, I still wish he wasn't there. There's no real difference between playing John at 6 or Heremaia at 6, and I would have liked to see John get more time to work at his game. Heremaia at 7 would have delighted me.

Lillyman is still there too.

The big three that I think need to be banished from the Warriors team are Ropati, Jones and Lillyman. 2 out of 3 of those are still there- so excuse me for not doing backflips

Meth

Staff member
Well, its 1 out of 3, considering the result I am looking for. 1 out of 3 is bad.

But nice rhyme

ozbash

Referee
well, i,m bloody rapt.

That nancy boy hack McKinnon is goneskis !!

that other potential nancy boy hack, hendo, has also been pissed off and a real player replaces him.

And, that prop who is either at, or slightly past, his use-by date is also awol...

Go Kevin Locke, show us how a real fullback plays.

Great to see the people who know a bit about the game have left The Messiah at halfback.

us by 37, at least...

Scorpio30

Bench
1KEVIN LOCKE
2PATRICK AH VAN
3ELIJAH TAYLOR
4JOEL MOON
5MANU VATUVEI
6AARON HEREMAIA
7STACEY JONES
8SAM RAPIRA
9LEWIS BROWN
10RUSSELL PACKER
11SIMON MANNERING
12BEN MATULINO
13MICHEAL LUCK (c)
Interchange:
14LANCE HOHAIA
15EVARN TUIMAVAVE
16JACOB LILLYMAN
17UKUMA TA’AI

Does Taylor have 1st grade speed?...I would have thought there were other centres ahead of him.

I thought John was going better than average and would have liked him to have been kept at 6 for the rest of the year.

Rich102

Staff member
Well good to see some changes.
Bit of muddy thinking in the centres though.
I am a Taylor fan, but he has been playing at 6 and 13 for the Juniors.
He is only 19 and already signed to us. He has plenty of time.
Yet we are told by Bernie Perenara that the Vulcan's centre Sione Tongia "has NRL written all over him". He is not signed to the Warriors and is a danger of slipping away.
Wouldn't it make sense to give him a run in the top side at this stage of the season to see if he has the makings before someone else signs him? He couldn't play any worse than JRo, so we wouldn't risk anything, and he may just be what we are looking for; a strong attacking centre.
Good decision to give Brown a run at hooker. He has impressed me. Let's see how he works out of dummy half.
I know it is expecting too much, but I would have liked to see a Johnson/Taylor halves combo given a try.
Lillyman still there; priceless!

Hilarious :sarcasm:

Ropati being dropped is good- don't get me wrong.

Honestly, no matter how resigned I present that I am to Jones being there for the rest of the season, I still wish he wasn't there. There's no real difference between playing John at 6 or Heremaia at 6, and I would have liked to see John get more time to work at his game. Heremaia at 7 would have delighted me.

Lillyman is still there too.

The big three that I think need to be banished from the Warriors team are Ropati, Jones and Lillyman. 2 out of 3 of those are still there- so excuse me for not doing backflips

I was simply asking, your initial post was strange all things considered. Only one that really irks me is lillyman.

You've become an angry little meth head over the course of this season.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
I was simply asking, your initial post was strange all things considered.

I don't see what was so strange about my initial post, or curt about my second post, or my third post for that matter

You're a sensitive little soul, aren't you?

Meth

Staff member
And by the way, yes, I have become angry over the course of the season- I can't imagine a passionate, diehard fan that hasn't. So the fact that my 'anger' surprises you shows you up for what you apparently are

Latest posts