What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Touring Squad for INDIA announced

undertaker

Coach
Reminds of that Tosspot Watson on Inside cricket a few weeks back, telling everyone hows his body is doing it tough with all the cricket and he can't possibly bowl and bat for Australia ATM. The next minute he is telling us he has no problem playing in the IPL and he is looking forward to it :roll: He's a hard bloke to like.

When Watson first broke into the test team, I thought he had potential to be our next all-rounder (especially when CA became fixated on having an all-rounder in the side in response to what England had with Andrew Flintoff in the 2005 Ashes).

However, my opinion of Watson AS A PERSON completely changed during the 3rd test of the 2009 test series vs West Indies at the WACA. His overall behaviour that game was appauling and he just came across as very childish and immature. Since then, he has shown immense selfishness both on (e.g. his abuse of the referral system) and off (e.g. comments he's made in the media, especially the one you mentioned) the field and you can't have a guy like that being considered for a leadership position, let alone a place in the team. He also has an inflated opinion of his own abilities (e.g. when he questioned why he should be dropped from opener to #3, and then from #3 to #4 in the batting lineup). As I've said before, someone with an attitude like him during the Border years would've been absolutely lambasted and castigated. You cannot reach your potential in a team environment (whether it is sport or the workplace) when you have guys like that with that sort of attitude, because eventually their attitude and bad habits start rubbing off on others over time. It's the attitude that is the major hurdle in holding Watson back from reaching his potential, but sadly at 32, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

He is the epitome of why the majority of Australian fans who have followed the game for years have started to become disillusioned with Australian cricket and don't feel an affinity with the team that we did before Punter became captain. I noticed that when it was during Punter's tenure as captain that the rot set in, selfishness manifested and players became more interested in the $ and how many magazines they can pose on the front cover of and show off all their tattoos. CA is also largely to blame for this, especially after forcing the Aussie side to change their style of play after the 2008 SCG test debacle.

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
Might be a good time for a decent bowling performance, 3/51 off 26 overs thus far at Blacktown for O'Keefe

He's got 12 wickets for the season @ 30.25 and is the only slow bowler in Australia with more than 10 first class games who has a career bowling average of under 30.
AND he has a 32 batting average.
Capable of batting 7 in test cricket?

Been hard to understand why he hasn't been the first choice spinner for a number of years now, but SURELY if he gets a couple of wickets in the second dig he'll be hard to overlook.

7. O'Keefe
8. Pattinson
9. Starc
10. ?Bird?
11. Lyon (ugh.)

Personally I'd probably play Maxwell at 7 and shuffle all the others down 1 spot. Lyon won't cause many problems and the gradual correction of his test bowling average towards 40 will continue.

TheParraboy

Staff member
He's got 12 wickets for the season @ 30.25 and is the only slow bowler in Australia with more than 10 first class games who has a career bowling average of under 30.
AND he has a 32 batting average.
Capable of batting 7 in test cricket?

Been hard to understand why he hasn't been the first choice spinner for a number of years now, but SURELY if he gets a couple of wickets in the second dig he'll be hard to overlook.

7. O'Keefe
8. Pattinson
9. Starc
10. ?Bird?
11. Lyon (ugh.)

Personally I'd probably play Maxwell at 7 and shuffle all the others down 1 spot. Lyon won't cause many problems and the gradual correction of his test bowling average towards 40 will continue.

no Siddle the Magnificent?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Hang on. Wade may have scored a century at 6 but I'm not convinced he has the game or Australia the batting depth to have him there full time.

Warner, Hughes khawaja and Cowan are unknown quantities in Indian test match conditions. It would be crazy to bat a batsman short.

Mr Spock!

Referee
O'Keeffe may have 2 for in a shield game but the real barometer for test cricket is 20/20 slogfest. Doherty is well ahead with 3 for in a hit or get out game.

That's what the selectors are thinking.

Plus Maxwell made a well compiled 9, I think Tubby said last night.

Timbo

Staff member
We all saw how Kane Richardson's one solid over for the Adelaide Strikers earned him an ODI cap. The shield surely is not a barometer of possible test form as a result.

Zampa bowled brilliantly for a side that won 0/8 according to the commentators. He will clearly be ready to bowl at Gambhir, Tendulkar, Pujara and Kohli.

Why pick O'Keefe on shield form when we have guys who have sent down two, three or even FOUR solid T20 overs behind them?

oldmancraigy

Coach
We all saw how Kane Richardson's one solid over for the Adelaide Strikers earned him an ODI cap. The shield surely is not a barometer of possible test form as a result.

Zampa bowled brilliantly for a side that won 0/8 according to the commentators. He will clearly be ready to bowl at Gambhir, Tendulkar, Pujara and Kohli.

Why pick O'Keefe on shield form when we have guys who have sent down two, three or even FOUR solid T20 overs behind them?

I saw Zampa bowling in the nets the other day. He was AWESOME.

Shocked if he isn't a lock.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Sounds like the poms are petrified by what we are going to throw at them..:sarcasm:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/england-revel-in-australias-failings-20130124-2d9tx.html

England revel in Australia's 'failings'..

Date January 25, 2013

RETIREMENTS and selection intrigue in Australia have heightened England's Ashes optimism.

Angus Fraser, the former England paceman embedded in the county system as director of cricket for Middlesex, says the effect has been to create a perception in England that Australia's batting is vulnerable and their bowling fragile.

Every development in Australian cricket this summer has been scrutinised by the Ashes foes, from the departure of Ricky Ponting and Mike Hussey to the return of Phillip Hughes and Mitchell Johnson, injuries to fast bowlers and the threatened middle-aged comebacks of Shane Warne and Brad Hodge.

''I believe England are in a far stronger position than Australia at this moment in time,'' Fraser said.

''England has a core of players now who they believe are the best around, so selection seems quite a simple thing. But when you're chasing wins and trying to get where you were before, which is going to be very hard for Australia, you're constantly searching for the next Shane Warne or the next Glenn McGrath and these players don't turn up very often.

''[England] have got a settled side.''

Nick Compton had come in to replace Andrew Strauss at the top of the order, but Alastair Cook, Ian Bell, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior, James Anderson, Stuart Broad and Graeme Swann had been around for four or five years and were hardened, successful Test cricketers.

''Australia, at this moment in time, don't possess players with a similarly proven track record,'' Fraser said. ''Yes, Michael Clarke is an outstanding player and Peter Siddle is a consistently good bowler, but everyone else, really, because of Hussey and Ponting going, you can't be sure.

''You'd like to think you will get a consistent level of performance from those England players; Australia could be excellent or they could fall down in a heap.''

England rested some of their best players during the ODI series in India, with Anderson, Swann and Trott absent from the series loss. But the Test team is comparatively settled.

Of course, fortunes can change quickly. Only six months ago England lost at home to South Africa, Pietersen was exiled for his destabilising behaviour and Strauss - a respected figure and two-time Ashes-winning captain - abruptly retired.

However, Fraser believes England's attack fancies its chances.

''With two major figures retiring this close to the Ashes in Ponting and Hussey it does fill England with a bit more confidence, because while Australia have got some talented batsmen, they don't seem to be of the same calibre of those who have gone,'' he said.

''Australia's batting order with the likes of Phillip Hughes and David Warner in it, they're talking about [Usman] Khawaja, [Matthew Wade], there are a lot of names that are not strong names around England, so there is a vulnerability, and with young cricketers there is inconsistency … I certainly think there is a batting line-up there that England would believe they can bowl out two or three times relatively cheaply in the forthcoming Ashes, and if you can bowl a side out three times for under 200 in an Ashes series it gives you an excellent chance of winning a couple of Test matches.''

Johnson endured a traumatic Ashes in 2009 so his comeback has been greeted with scepticism in England, despite his yielding 15 wickets at 22.33 in three Tests against South Africa and Sri Lanka this summer.

Fraser said Australia's bowling was fragile, with James Pattinson and Pat Cummins injured. Jackson Bird was looking impressive, Mitchell Starc was making a lot of progress and Johnson had got some work to do.

''He seems to be bowling pretty well again, but you just wonder,'' Fraser said.

"England played some quite good cricket between Test series against Australia but there was a mental barrier that we failed to overcome in Ashes series and you wonder whether someone like Mitchell Johnson has got an extra hurdle to overcome. One, he's got to bowl well. Two, he's got to cope with the knowledge that England's cricketers have got the better of him. Whether there has been a bit of psychological damage for him … Whether he is going to be in the strongest side Australia pick in that series is questionable.''

As Australia prepare for four Tests in India, England's next assignment is in New Zealand.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Yeah I'm sure Flower and Cook appreciate Hussain motivating us. One thing that the pommie media do worse than us is have every player that ever wore a blue cap give their opinion on the ashes. They usually talk up their side, say 'I told you I'm a genius' if the side does well or turn on them if they fail.

We only have Neil Harvey and Crappelli to fill that role.

Patorick

Staff member
Yeah I'm sure Flower and Cook appreciate Hussain motivating us. One thing that the pommie media do worse than us is have every player that ever wore a blue cap give their opinion on the ashes. They usually talk up their side, say 'I told you I'm a genius' if the side does well or turn on them if they fail.

We only have Neil Harvey and Crappelli to fill that role.
And Rodney Hogg.

Latest posts