What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Touring Squad for INDIA announced

vvvrulz

Coach
I feel pretty similar but I think I may have convinced myself (based on things which might be normalisation rather than decline) in hope

I believe that people will grow tired of the novelty (especially if India keep playing the way they are) and therefore crowds will diminish > teams start losing money > players won't get paid and stop showing up > IPL will die.

Or at least become a pointless domestic slog-a-thon that nobody cares about with no overseas players. They only turn up for the money.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll never get a run for Australia.

I was a swing bowler who got wickets, kept runs down and scored runs at number 7/8

Hallatia

Referee
I think India playing the way they are might attract people to the IPL. India isn't like Australia, Indians aren't going to lose interest in cricket regardless of how the national team performs. The country lives cricket at all caste levels, they are always going to be interested in cricket and there are so many of them that there are always going to be so many of them following cricket. If India are doing badly, they will want to direct their love of cricket to something which gives them a bit of a return. OF course T20 isn't real cricket, but to lots of people, it's close enoug

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The IPL is as much about as celebrity as it is cricket. India's growing middle class has a lust for celebrity, be it Bollywood stars, cricketers or young tycoons. With the IPL circus they get a mix of all these. Sadly the IPL will stay until these celebrities get bored with it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
you mean like Joey Johns playing in our big wank ?

we would never do that

Timbo

Staff member
There is something to be far more afraid of Steve Smith as the second spinner in Indian, and that is Xavier Doherty as the second spinner.

His name is coming up more and more.

They better pick O'Keefe.

vvvrulz

Coach
The IPL is as much about as celebrity as it is cricket. India's growing middle class has a lust for celebrity, be it Bollywood stars, cricketers or young tycoons. With the IPL circus they get a mix of all these. Sadly the IPL will stay until these celebrities get bored with it.

Being an Indian myself, I know how unbelievably annoying this hero worship is. That said I think there is a good chance that overseas players will stop caring about the IPL.

India can continue to have its own dinky little tournament but the global game should stop suffering for it, hopefully international class players stop going for this 'guns for hire' approach. For example if Marlon Samuels never turned up for the BBL he'd be playing for the West Indies shortly.

Timbo

Staff member
Being an Indian myself, I know how unbelievably annoying this hero worship is. That said I think there is a good chance that overseas players will stop caring about the IPL.

India can continue to have its own dinky little tournament but the global game should stop suffering for it, hopefully international class players stop going for this 'guns for hire' approach. For example if Marlon Samuels never turned up for the BBL he'd be playing for the West Indies shortly.

But why would the stop?

Brendon McCullum makes 4 times as much playing IPL as does all year for NZ. Same with Gayle.

As long as the money is there the players will be.

Earl

Coach
There is something to be far more afraid of Steve Smith as the second spinner in Indian, and that is Xavier Doherty as the second spinner.

His name is coming up more and more.

They better pick O'Keefe.

Well he has started the sheild game well.

Earl

Coach
Yeah Twiz is up past his bedtime again

The games at Blacktown in Sydney and O'Keefe has 2/26 off 12

undertaker

Coach
f**king ludacris.

Just keep resting players from international fixtures but let them play these circus tounaments

:crazy:

...and that article epitomises the utter hypocrisy of the players.

Here is all this bitching and whining about player burnout, "oh, the players are playing too many games these days" blah blah blah.....and then when you dangle the $ sign in their face, they're immediately on the first plane to play in the IPL. That's why it's very hard to have the same level of respect for the current Australian side compared to when I first started following cricket. It is all about $ and reputation; and little about what it means to represent Australia.

The best case scenario is that the India gets hit by a big recession (I know that sounds very harsh as more than 50% of the population currently live below the poverty line), the IPL goes bankrupt and subsequently the cricketers will have to experience a large dip in their salary. As far as I'm concerned, the majority of them are grossly overpaid whilst still relying also on taxpayers to fund them (through initiates like the AIS etc. Other sports in Australia don't get such a huge luxury like that).

The IPL and other meaningless T20 matches (which has devalued the ODI form of the game) are one of the main reasons bowlers are experiencing an increasingly higher injury rate: bowlers don't get the adequate rest and off-season like they did 10 years ago before T20 took off during the second half of the last decade. How can you get adequate rest when the next day you're boarding an airflight thousands of kilometres to play in another tournament the day after a tournament has finished? Last year, the Aussies had to catch 3 or 4 airflights leaving from 6:30am at Adelaide to the Caribbean only 8 hours after the 3rd final of the ODI series vs Sri Lanka. That's ridiculous.

Give me a 6-test Ashes series any day of the week over the IPL or BBL. I was very disappointed when the Ashes was reduced to 5 tests in 2001.

Red Bear

Referee
Might be a good time for a decent bowling performance, 3/51 off 26 overs thus far at Blacktown for O'Keefe

hineyrulz

Post Whore
...and that article epitomises the utter hypocrisy of the players.

Here is all this bitching and whining about player burnout, "oh, the players are playing too many games these days" blah blah blah.....and then when you dangle the $ sign in their face, they're immediately on the first plane to play in the IPL. That's why it's very hard to have the same level of respect for the current Australian side compared to when I first started following cricket. It is all about $ and reputation; and little about what it means to represent Australia.

The best case scenario is that the India gets hit by a big recession (I know that sounds very harsh as more than 50% of the population currently live below the poverty line), the IPL goes bankrupt and subsequently the cricketers will have to experience a large dip in their salary. As far as I'm concerned, the majority of them are grossly overpaid whilst still relying also on taxpayers to fund them (through initiates like the AIS etc. Other sports in Australia don't get such a huge luxury like that).

The IPL and other meaningless T20 matches (which has devalued the ODI form of the game) are one of the main reasons bowlers are experiencing an increasingly higher injury rate: bowlers don't get the adequate rest and off-season like they did 10 years ago before T20 took off during the second half of the last decade. How can you get adequate rest when the next day you're boarding an airflight thousands of kilometres to play in another tournament the day after a tournament has finished? Last year, the Aussies had to catch 3 or 4 airflights leaving from 6:30am at Adelaide to the Caribbean only 8 hours after the 3rd final of the ODI series vs Sri Lanka. That's ridiculous.

Give me a 6-test Ashes series any day of the week over the IPL or BBL. I was very disappointed when the Ashes was reduced to 5 tests in 2001.
Reminds of that Tosspot Watson on Inside cricket a few weeks back, telling everyone hows his body is doing it tough with all the cricket and he can't possibly bowl and bat for Australia ATM. The next minute he is telling us he has no problem playing in the IPL and he is looking forward to it :roll: He's a hard bloke to like.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Hopefully a lot of the indians are looking forward to the IPL riches and we smack them in the test series. Then again if most of our mob are in that frame of mind as well, then we will get smacked :crazy:

undertaker

Coach
Hopefully a lot of the indians are looking forward to the IPL riches and we smack them in the test series. :crazy:

They will look to the IPL riches, because it's only natural when you're from a country where someone offers you approximately up to 100 times what the average salary is, irrespecitve of what occupation it is. At the end of the day, 'cash is king'

Latest posts