What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Wenty Magpies Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
i'm pretty keen to know if ME got to eastgardens for the groceries

No I didn't make it. I wandered down the road to BWS and got some Hoegaardens and then I couldn't drive. I didnt even mean to go to the grog shop, i was actually going to the chemist to get my medication.
But I'm about to head over in about half an hour to get the groceries.

How was dinner Stagger.

hybrideel

Bench
Not better; different.

More involved in kick returns and kick defence, but less involved in tackling. And because they make less tackles they're expected to make more hit-ups than centres. Look at last night:

Blair 12 runs 101 metres
Morgan 9 runs 65 metres
Tonga 7 runs 65 metres
Sio 15 runs 165 metres

That's because there is stigma associated with the wing - in kids footy the worst player is usually stuck out there because kids' teams aren't able to exploit a shithouse winger the way an NRL team can.

You saw him last night. He played wing. At this stage of his career he needs to learn both positions. Like Israel Folau had to.

Wingers make more metres because of kick returns. Take them out and the stats are a lot different

Blair 10 runs 80 metres
Morgan 9 runs 65 metres
Tonga 7 runs 65 metres
Sio 12 runs 120 metres

Yes i did see him on friday night on the wing, pretty ineffective and looked like he didn't really want to be there.
Folau went from wing to centre and stayed there.
Blair started at wing, moved to centre and then back to wing.

Why does he need to learn both positions. making him learn multiple positions will dilute his effectiveness in each one. By this age he should have had his best position identified by coaching staff and skills specifically for that position is what he should be working on. And that goes for all young players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Wingers make more metres because of kick returns. Take them out and the stats are a lot different

Why take them out though? Kick return metres are just as valuable as any others.

And why wouldn't you want some of your best runners returning kicks?

Blair 10 runs 80 metres
Morgan 9 runs 65 metres
Tonga 7 runs 65 metres
Sio 12 runs 120 metres

Yes i did see him on friday night on the wing, pretty ineffective and looked like he didn't really want to be there.

He looked the same as usual to me.

Folau went from wing to centre and stayed there.

He spent the first half of 2009 on the wing for the Broncos. It's all about what suits the team best.

Blair started at wing, moved to centre and then back to wing.

Mate, he's played half a season. Folau didn't play centre until his 20th game in first grade. Blair is currently covering both positions so he need to learn them both.

Why does he need to learn both positions. making him learn multiple positions will dilute his effectiveness in each one.

Well until we know which one is his best position he's going to have to show his wares at both.

By this age he should have had his best position identified by coaching staff and skills specifically for that position is what he should be working on. And that goes for all young players.

Inglis and Folau have played multiple positions throughout their careers. So has Jarryd Hayne and a whole bunch of players.

hybrideel

Bench
You can't put a young kid in and constantly change him from one position to the other, one side of the field to the other and expect him to play well each time.

The reason i took kick returns out was because you said
And because they make less tackles they're expected to make more hit-ups than centres. Look at last night:

kick returns aren't hitups.

Yes players are moved to different positions on occasions, but other than true utilities or the freakish athletes you have mentioned that could pretty much play anywhere, they will only do it as an upgrade from their previous position due to performance OR a new coach has been brought in who doesn't see things the same way as the coach before.
Any other reason is just going to hamper a kid's learning

strider

Post Whore
why are we comparing blair to mf'n superstars? ... i'm happy to be proven wrong, but i don't see him getting to their heights

Gronk

Staff member
Wentworthville Magpies Vs North Sydney Bears
Ringrose Park, Sunday, July 22
Kick-off: 3.00pm
Referee: Matt Noyen
Broadcast: ALIVEfm 90.5FM (Link available via the www.nswrl.com.au Broadcast page)

1. Jerome MacKenzie
2. Vai Toutai
3. Dylon Gilbert
4. Esi Tonga
5. KJ MacKenzie
6. Jason Wehbe
7. Matt Hunt
8. Nathan Armit
9. Lancen Juodo
10. Peni Terepo
11. Pat O’Hanlon
12. Justin Horo
13. Rory Brien

14. Daniel Penese
15. Broderick Wright
16. Danny Howard
17. Tim Wynn

http://www.nswrl.com.au/?s=article-display&id=59449&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

oldmancraigy

Coach
i'm happy to be proven wrong, but i don't see him getting to their heights

Cheyse Blair 1.94m tall
Israel Folau 1.95m tall
Greg Inglis 1.95m tall
Jarryd Hayne 1.88m tall

You might technically be right that he hasn't reached the height of Inglis or Folau, but clearly he's taller than Hayne. So if you were using "heights" in a collective sense, then we'd be looking at the average, which is 1.927m tall. In that sense Blair has already exceeded their heights.

Apology accepted in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts