What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Wenty Magpies Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Eel

First Grade
You're probably right. He's a reserve grade quality outside back.

BUT EVEN IF HE IS: he's still playing better footy than Luke Burt right now [and for the last 18 months], so why shouldn't he be on the wing in first grade ahead of Burt?

I see i am Right again.... Partly So is Poo Poo with Blair getting the chop too bad Burt cant get the chop...:(

hybrideel

Bench
So Blair gets dropped from first grade centre to reserves winger. I agree he needed a rest from first grade but don't see how playing wing in reserves will help him develop into a better first grade centre

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I see i am Right again.... Partly So is Poo Poo with Blair getting the chop too bad Burt cant get the chop...:(

How am I only partly right?

I said Blair should spend some time in Wenty, and since Kearney is the best coach in the game and he agrees with me that makes me 100% right.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Concerning peni can't make the starting side

When it comes to props, starting doesn't equal best. That's why Trent Merrin made the Blues team despite not starting for his club side.

Some props, especially the quicker ones, are better off running at tired defences. Terepo seems more of an explosive front-rower, like Fui. These guys are wasted running at energetic defensive lines and fresh halfbacks.

You could almost consider bench prop to be a different position to starting prop.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So Blair gets dropped from first grade centre to reserves winger. I agree he needed a rest from first grade but don't see how playing wing in reserves will help him develop into a better first grade centre

Couple of things:

1. Being moved from wing to centre is not a demotion. The need to drop back for kicks means wingers get more opportunities to run the ball than do centres - they get a possible kick return, then all those runs on exit sets as their teammates get back onside. Every week Ken Sio makes more runs than any of our other outside backs, for example. The reduced defensive workload also helps.

2. Blair is obviously being considered for both positions anyway. He's got all the goods physically - height, strength, agility, speed - so why should he be limited to just one position? Having him able to play both positions is good for our effective depth.

3. The centres in NSW Cup are obviously both too slow for the wing, whereas Blair isn't. So it's natural that he should play there.

hybrideel

Bench
Couple of things:

1. Being moved from wing to centre is not a demotion. The need to drop back for kicks means wingers get more opportunities to run the ball than do centres - they get a possible kick return, then all those runs on exit sets as their teammates get back onside. Every week Ken Sio makes more runs than any of our other outside backs, for example. The reduced defensive workload also helps.

2. Blair is obviously being considered for both positions anyway. He's got all the goods physically - height, strength, agility, speed - so why should he be limited to just one position? Having him able to play both positions is good for our effective depth.

3. The centres in NSW Cup are obviously both too slow for the wing, whereas Blair isn't. So it's natural that he should play there.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that wing is actually a better position? I mean if it's not considered a demotion and you can get more involved then it must be.
You go and ask every centre and winger playing the game which of the 2 positions they would prefer and see if they agree with you

But anyway my main thought about why this isn't a good idea is his main weakness right now is positioning in defence and learning the right and wrong times to rush in. How exactly is playing a different position going to help that.

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
Windsor defeated Wenty bundy cup 28-4

I'm not at the game tonightbut hopefully I can atleast provide the fulltime score later.

hindy111

Post Whore
10 yrs ago centre was a more important position but nowdays a wingers role is much more important than its used to be. Against the dogs we dropped 3 bombs which lead to tries-That was 16 points.That may have turned the game our way!
Also kick returns are just as important and dummy half runs also so i wouldnt say a good winger isnt important.

hybrideel

Bench
i didn't say wing wasn't an important position. Every position on the field is important these days. I said that most players would see it as a demotion going from centre to wing

Sensai Cobra

Juniors
10 yrs ago centre was a more important position but nowdays a wingers role is much more important than its used to be. Against the dogs we dropped 3 bombs which lead to tries-That was 16 points.That may have turned the game our way!
Also kick returns are just as important and dummy half runs also so i wouldnt say a good winger isnt important.

Well that was random......

I was enjoying ME and stags discuss their plans for tonight

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Are you seriously trying to tell me that wing is actually a better position?

Not better; different.

I mean if it's not considered a demotion and you can get more involved then it must be.

More involved in kick returns and kick defence, but less involved in tackling. And because they make less tackles they're expected to make more hit-ups than centres. Look at last night:

Blair 12 runs 101 metres
Morgan 9 runs 65 metres
Tonga 7 runs 65 metres
Sio 15 runs 165 metres

You go and ask every centre and winger playing the game which of the 2 positions they would prefer and see if they agree with you

That's because there is stigma associated with the wing - in kids footy the worst player is usually stuck out there because kids' teams aren't able to exploit a shithouse winger the way an NRL team can.

But anyway my main thought about why this isn't a good idea is his main weakness right now is positioning in defence and learning the right and wrong times to rush in. How exactly is playing a different position going to help that.

You saw him last night. He played wing. At this stage of his career he needs to learn both positions. Like Israel Folau had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts