What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh dear!

RedVDave

First Grade
I was right on Wayne's deal, says Doust

Steve Mascord

February 23, 2011

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA chief executive Peter Doust has reacted to an intensified scramble for Wayne Bennett's signature by insisting he has few regrets about turning down the coach's original request for a five-year deal.
Brisbane sacked Ivan Henjak on Monday, immediately adding the Broncos to a list of Bennett suitors which is also said to include South Sydney, Newcastle, a second Brisbane franchise, Central Queensland and even North Queensland. As he watched the Dragons train in London Doust said that the Henjak development did not affect his own talks to retain Bennett - and that his decision to offer Bennett only three years at the joint venture was the right call at the time.
"He said he wanted five and I said, 'No, five's too long'," Doust said of talks that took place in 2008. "I don't know if it's about that, to be honest with you. You form a relationship with someone like Wayne and it's a mutual relationship. If he, no matter how many years he signed for, wanted to do something different or we wanted to do something different, it wouldn't be a problem.
"Terms of contracts aren't important to people like him. I don't think the Dragons take a lot out of it either. You're never going to keep a coach that's not happy to stay - it doesn't matter if he's signed for 50 years."
Bennett on Monday cancelled a planned video interview with the Rugby Football League - which was to be syndicated to British media - in the wake of the Henjak news. But although he also dodged other media requests, he appeared cheerful and sociable as he put his side through its first paces on UK soil.
"I've got nothing to say - it's got nothing to do with me," he said when asked about the demise of his former assistant.
It's understood Bennett's other suitors are more nervous than the Dragons about the entry of the Broncos to the equation. While a Brisbane consortium has again named Bennett as a coaching preference, there is a growing feeling that there will be no expansion until 2015.
But Doust reckoned: "They've [Broncos] obviously got their reasons and there's been some pressure on Ivan up there since he took the job. I don't know that this changes the landscape too much.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...on-waynes-deal-says-doust-20110222-1b44l.html

Benny

First Grade
I think Bennett wanted 5 years because he thought that is how long he needed to get the job done, though he has acknowledged the club wasn'tin as bad shape as he thought it was.

To be honest a new coach to a club, a 5 year contract on 750,000 a year is a massive risk that Doust was correct not to take on. Say Bennett was an absolute failure and need to be sacked a year or two in. Could the club afford a 2 million plus pay out for a coach...I think not.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing BUT I think Doust did the right thing.

Last edited:

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Doust definitely made the right call IMO. Any club would be crazy to sign any coach on a 5 year deal. Obviously wayne is a brilliant coach, but you never know how a coach will fit into a club culture or how the players will respond. Just look at the Cowboys, they're screwed with Henry, obviously Bennett is in a different class but it's still a massive gamble.

Wobbygong

First Grade
A much as I think Doust is an arrogant tool, I do agree with him in terms of even if Bennett had signed for five years, had the stars aligned and the Brisbane opportunities Broncos / Second Bris team come available during his 5 year contract, there is no way you can keep someone that wants to leave or isn't happy regardless of how long he has signed for. As much as everyone says Wayne puts his players first history shows Wayne always puts Wayne first and gets what he wants, and he can expect that because he is such a great coach. He won't be with us next year so lets make the most of him this season and hopefully get someone experienced and decent (no f**king rookies) to replace him, ie throw the 750-800k at Bellamy.

Acka

Coach
I think Bennett wanted 5 years because he thought that is how long he needed to get the job done, though he has acknowledged the club wasn'tin as bad shape as he thought it was.

To be honest a new coach to a club, a 5 year contract on 750,000 a year is a massive risk that Doust was correct not to take on. Say Bennett was an absolute failure and need to be sacked a year or two in. Could the club afford a 2 million plus pay out for a coach...I think not.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing BUT I think Doust did the right thing.

Bennett has left early when under contract twice before. The first time was in 1987 when he was at Canberra. He left there to coach Brisbane. When he joined St George he was originallr under contract with Brisbane until the 2009 season until he handed in his resignation to the Brisbane board.

Mr Red

First Grade
5 years far too long for a contract for a coach OR a player no matter how good they are.. too much can happen season to season and the payout figure for cancelling a contract of this size would be enormous.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
Just watched Fox sports and the rumor is hot, Henjack was sacked to make way for Bennett and Bennett is already trying to lure a young player to the Broncos.
Bet you its Jack Bosden :(

saint06

Juniors
i think you are all wrong. If Wayne wanted 5 years, you give it to him. Doust has made a monumental error here.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Meninga and Broncos are a good fit.

Bennett and Saints for 2012 fits even better... a great bag of fruit.

LD, I saw Foxsports too and the 'timing' rumour (while Bennett is in the UK) looks like it was sourced from a post made here in this forum. Two weeks ago they were saying Bennett and 50uff$ were a 'done deal'.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Doust does his best
We're the reining Premiers
Bennett will do what he has to do
It's up to us to sign Bosden if we want him to stay and if he was going.
If and that's a big if, it would IMO be Kyle Stanley

Divine

Bench
Well I hope Dousty has a pint of warm shut the f**k up while he's watching the game. Fair dinkum useless comment.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I heard that during the preliminary final he sat with a beer in his hand, unable to drink he was so stressed out

Father Ted

First Grade
Bennett should have been given the five year contract now we will have to pay overs to keep him . Others may love you here Doustie I'm not one of them

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
Meninga and Broncos are a good fit.

Bennett and Saints for 2012 fits even better... a great bag of fruit.

LD, I saw Foxsports too and the 'timing' rumour (while Bennett is in the UK) looks like it was sourced from a post made here in this forum. Two weeks ago they were saying Bennett and 50uff$ were a 'done deal'.
Please be only a rumour.

vista

Juniors
Doust you are a farkin DONKEY!!! You think Greenberg or Searle would have rejected 5 years from Bennett??????????????????????

possm

Coach
Doust has stuffed up again. Bennett had proven himself with the Broncos and only wanted 750,000 a year for five years. Rather than say no he should have said yes with the following conditions ...... Doust should resign he is a fool and makes too many mistakes. I only hope we can keep Wayne but it seems unlikely. Moves are on for his return to Red Hill.

cleary89

Coach
Yeh f**king hell Doust. Wish we had the cowboys guy, not even him would have said 3 instead of 5.

Latest posts