What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh dear!

Gaba

First Grade
If Bennett doesnt feel the job isnt done,then he will stay.

Would a 5 year contract keep bennett here , if he feels he can not do any more for the dragons

Last edited:

st.phil

Bench
it is ridiculous to bag dousty...he GOT bennett here and has done a great job over the past five years at the club - red v, kogarah, premiership...relax guys.

Gaba

First Grade
I wonder if the 5 years was a 3 year contract with a 2 year option which brings it to a 5 year contract if Bennett wants to stay another 2 years.

Last edited:

Father Ted

First Grade
it is ridiculous to bag dousty...he GOT bennett here and has done a great job over the past five years at the club - red v, kogarah, premiership...relax guys.

Just to point out Red Vee's were up and running pre Doust . Doust never wanted Kogarah ( people who want to play there are not versed with reality etc )
Bennett got us the Premiership and how Doust got Bennett is a major mystery to me .

saintzrule

Juniors
Just to point out Red Vee's were up and running pre Doust . Doust never wanted Kogarah ( people who want to play there are not versed with reality etc )
Bennett got us the Premiership and how Doust got Bennett is a major mystery to me .
And your preferred option? We all agree that Wayne is our Ceo , as his DNA is all over our club. Brian Johnstone once held the position, and I have always had a lot of time for him.:D

Efresh

Coach

Stop posting such rational thoughts, the Internet is hardly the place for that.

The correct response to our win last year and consecutive minor premierships is "Oust Doust"!

Agios

Juniors
"In Wayne we trust".. He has repeated that he is yet to decide what he will do in 2012.. The Brisbane move is obviously designed to try & influence his decision. A victory in the Challenge Cup & a strong start to the season will make it difficult for him not to consider extending with the Dragons. A good mix of young & old players gives him a very real chance of 2 in a row.. possibly 3 which he is yet to achieve.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Yes Doust f**ked up, but who knew that Bennett would be so successful.

Great job in bringing Bennett to the Dragons and firing that dope Brown.

Doust's biggest mistake was keeping Brown for 6 wasteful years

Minh

First Grade
Wayne's not gone yet, thank god for Wayne and Dousty did a good job getting him here, we're still as good a chance as any to sign him 2012 and beyond IMO, if not my only hope is that he doesn't go to $ouffs and ruin his legacy in the process LOL, even god can't train those guys to play and yes Wayne is a god.:)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Bennett decides where he'll coach, that's it.

The contracts nowadays are so full of conditions. There's release clauses and pressures to release when the clauses face off with loop-holes or legal ambiguity.

At the end of the day a handshake is probably best deal you can hope for.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
If Bennett wanted another 5 years today you would give it to him but at the time Doust made the right call.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I still go with the Rexrumour and we'll see creeping sign for another season... 2012.

With all the speculation going around, this is the only one the papers haven't picked up on yet. Why? Because Souths sell newprint, Broncos sells newsprint, Bellamy sells newsprint...

But staying at Saints for another year, well that has a lower yield at the newstands.

Godz Illa

Coach
As mentioned, if Bennett wants to go there's nothing that can keep him on board, even if he had a 10 year contract. He was under contract when he left both Canberra and Brisbane - so it's a moot point. The benefit of a 3 year contract is it allows the club to plan for the future. If, for example, Bennett had signed a 5 year deal and decided at the end of year 3 that he wanted to go home, the club would be in a difficult position trying to cobble together a new staff in a timeframe of a few months. With a 3 year deal there is plenty of notice if Wayne decides not to renew, and plenty of time to plan a succession

InThatNumber

Juniors
Hopeful that Bennett wants to continue with the great work he has begun at Saints but if is of a mind to leave, the Bellamy is the man to take the club forward post Bennett.
Forgetting NSW form ( I doubt Bennett could have done better with the talent at NSW disposal in the last 5 years when compared to QLD's dream team) he has proven at club level that he can get the best out of talented youngsters and can get results out of journeymen...

He could be a 20+ year coach for the Saints, much like Bennett at the beginning of the Broncos...

Minh

First Grade
He delivered what we've craved for so long, the premiership, thank you Mr. Bennett it's his call now, if he signs on again I think all Dragons fans would be delighted, if he goes we must move on and be grateful for what he brought to the Dragons, well done to Dousty for bouncing back strong after all those years of "Oust Doust" lol.

Rexxy

Coach
I still go with the Rexrumour

well, that was before I knew Wayne met Andrew Gee in Brisbane and Ivan the Terrible got sacked. So, instead of speculation, let's look at the known known, and the unknown known.

1. Wayne is known to want to get Premierships at three clubs.To do so means joining a team with a decent squad and chance
2. That he will eventually want to call Brisbane home
3. That he doesn't mind the living arrangements at present (travel and distance not the hurdle people make out)
4. Money is important to him
5. That he said he wouldn't "tear the Dragons apart" and that he was happy here.

To satisfy all criteria there is only one path....

1. extend with Saints 2. Go to Souths/Newcastle for two years 3. Join a Brisbane side then at 65.

But if he goes to Brisbane now, it will be there til stumps. he will be there, one assumes til he has had enough. I dont think he is ready for that.

The Nick

Bench
HAhahaha geez I love this forum.

Months after winning the freaking Premiership, the armchair critics start bagging the CEO.

It took Wayne only 2 years to take us all the way, and that's because the club was in such great shape prior to his arrival. Wayne was the icing on the cake that helped us make those final few steps towards Premiership glory. Wayne has made no secret of the fact that Browny and Dousty had done things pretty well prior to his arrival.

We have the best suburban ground in Sydney. Who do you think has successfully lobbied the NSW Government over the years to get it to that stage? The refurbishment and upgrade of Kogarah is probably the only decent thing the NSW Gov has done in years, thanks to Dousty.

We currently have the best coach in the NRL, thanks to Dousty.

I think he's doing a pretty good job, and hope he'll be in the job for years to come.

Speculation speculation speculation,just enjoy the time he is with us,what decision he makes is his and there is nothing we can say or do about it,lets just be grateful that the great coach coached our club and got us a premiership,a lot of clubs wont get the chance. Dragons back to back in 2011.