What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok, so there is a problem with elements of the Bulldog fan base...

dodge said:
There's cautious, then there's over-cautious. I'll bet 95% of people at that ground on Friday have never come to harm from anyone at a football game. It's just irrational and damaging to the game. Not as much as the filthy thugs themselves, but damaging nonetheless.
When it comes to my wife & kids, I would err on the side of caution 100% of the time.

Not attending Bulldog games, especially at night is a valid reaction by the public. And I'm sure there are others out there that have intentionally avoided going to Bulldogs games.

dodge said:
Yeah, and do you think I enjoy that sentiment?

BTW, you are fooling yourself if you think punch-ups do not happen with other clubs. Even Melbourne. However, the Bulldogs problem does stand out and needs to be dealt with. That much I agree on.

Dont haul Melbourne into the equation...unless you know for sure that our club goes out of our way to "intentionally" harm other fans...which is highly unlikely...:evil:

dodge said:
:| I really gotta say it's a sad excuse to stay away from the footy. I've never once feared for my life. Not even on Friday night. As long as you don't sit in general admission or near the 'Dogs army, you'll be fine. There are "species of grub" that follow every team taxidriver, wake up.

Can you blame him though. Young kids which im sure he doesnt want to expose to that crap

dodge said:
Yeah, and do you think I enjoy that sentiment?

BTW, you are fooling yourself if you think punch-ups do not happen with other clubs. Even Melbourne. However, the Bulldogs problem does stand out and needs to be dealt with. That much I agree on.

It never happens/happened at Warriors games in Auckland, have had mates go to the show grounds for Dogs/Warriors games and they have said NEVER go by your self if u are supporting the other team. They saw Dogs fans trying to surround Warriors supporters for intimidation etc

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
dodge said:
:| I really gotta say it's a sad excuse to stay away from the footy. I've never once feared for my life. Not even on Friday night. As long as you don't sit in general admission or near the 'Dogs army, you'll be fine. There are "species of grub" that follow every team taxidriver, wake up.

Absolute rubbish.. Most of the problems occur AFTER the games as you walk from the stadium to the car park, train station etc.. I took a friend of mine from overseas to a Bulldogs match at Aussie a few years ago and she felt terrified on the bus back down to Central station.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
kia ora storm said:
Dont haul Melbourne into the equation...unless you know for sure that our club goes out of our way to "intentionally" harm other fans...which is highly unlikely...:evil:

I wouldn't go as far as to say intentionally harming opposition fans, but to suggest there's never been a biffo or two, even just between two drunks, at a Storm game is ludicrous. Of course it's happened.

Furthermore, this victimisation crap has to stop. It seems it's happened to everyone here which is a load of sh*t. All I saw coming out of Telstra on Friday was a few flags flying, happy people playing drums and so on. Are you telling me there's a group or two that go around and hassle each and every one of the xxxx amount of crowd there is at every game, home or away?

Give me a break, it's turning into a direct attack on our fans now. I know it does happen to an extent, but I'd wager myself being more correct given I've been to far more 'Dogs games than any of you, not always wearing my jersey, and I've never been confronted.

LESStar58

Referee
I went to the Storm vs Dogs game at SSG in 2004 and I got a bit of lip from a couple of kids in Dogs jerseys and I was on my own. I just smiled and waved and they kept on walking. The rogue elements are just out to make trouble and in most cases aren't even footy fans, just a pack of twits lookin' to start sh*t...if you walk away you aren't giving them an excuse to go you.

Bulldogs fans who come to Olympic Park games are some of the best behaved fans I've ever seen!

Cammo

Bench
Dodge, we have a major problem with our fan base. We should not care whether it happens at other games or not, we have to fix our own backyard. What happens at other games should not be our concern, and if the media choose to report it or not it is not our concern either.

We have a major issue, that cannot be denied by anybody. I have been victim to these thugs myself, and I was wearing my jersey. They were attacking an opposition supporter completely unprovoked and when I went to help him they turned on me as well.

I still remain a Bulldogs supporter as I know the club hates these animals as much as I do, and I know the players do to.

As for the people asking for the club to be kicked out, while I can understand your feelings, spare a though for all the true Bulldog fans out there. I will be lost to the game without The Bulldogs. Also consider that kicking The Bulldogs out will just see these thugs choose some other team to "follow". The Eels might find them shifting to their games and then what do we do? kick the Eels out as well? Where does it stop?

Timmah

Staff member
LESStar58 said:
I went to the Storm vs Dogs game at SSG in 2004 and I got a bit of lip from a couple of kids in Dogs jerseys and I was on my own. I just smiled and waved and they kept on walking. The rogue elements are just out to make trouble and in most cases aren't even footy fans, just a pack of twits lookin' to start sh*t...if you walk away you aren't giving them an excuse to go you.

Bulldogs fans who come to Olympic Park games are some of the best behaved fans I've ever seen!

Amen.

Dodge, we have a major problem with our fan base. We should not care whether it happens at other games or not, we have to fix our own backyard. What happens at other games should not be our concern, and if the media choose to report it or not it is not our concern either.

We have a major issue, that cannot be denied by anybody. I have been victim to these thugs myself, and I was wearing my jersey. They were attacking an opposition supporter completely unprovoked and when I went to help him they turned on me as well.

I still remain a Bulldogs supporter as I know the club hates these animals as much as I do, and I know the players do to.

I echo your thoughts, I'm just not as articulate as you. It's just frustrating knowing that others do wrong and get away with it. And I let it get to me. Oh well. That's life.

dodge said:
Give me a break, it's turning into a direct attack on our fans now. I know it does happen to an extent, but I'd wager myself being more correct given I've been to far more 'Dogs games than any of you, not always wearing my jersey, and I've never been confronted.
Ask yourself this question...

Would you be prepared to wear Sharks gear when the Bulldogs play them at Telstra? Would you feel safe?

I think denying other peoples experiences purely because you have not witnessed it does not help. Playing the victim doesn't help either. It's quite clear based on other threads that it is a small minority of fans that cause trouble.

Cammo said:

As for the people asking for the club to be kicked out, while I can understand your feelings, spare a though for all the true Bulldog fans out there. I will be lost to the game without The Bulldogs. Also consider that kicking The Bulldogs out will just see these thugs choose some other team to "follow". The Eels might find them shifting to their games and then what do we do? kick the Eels out as well? Where does it stop?

Cammo,
I would, hopefully others too, prefer to see it as a League community issue. The point of my thread is what, if any, can we do as fans to assist.

Timmah

Staff member
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
Ask yourself this question...

Would you be prepared to wear Sharks gear when the Bulldogs play them at Telstra? Would you feel safe?

I think denying other peoples experiences purely because you have not witnessed it does not help. Playing the victim doesn't help either. It's quite clear based on other threads that it is a small minority of fans that cause trouble.

I wouldn't be prepared to theoretically because I loathe the club, but I don't see why they should be scared. As you said it's a small minority and the majority of Sharks fans won't give second thought unless the media makes a huge issue of it.

Catatonic_Omnivore said:
Cammo,
I would, hopefully others too, prefer to see it as a League community issue. The point of my thread is what, if any, can we do as fans to assist.

I share that sentiment, I was just getting frustrated with the over-populous of Dogs riot threads.

Cammo

Bench
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
Cammo,

The fans shouldn't really have to do anything. It is the police that should be stopping this sort of behaviour not Rugby League fans. These animals act the same out on the street as they do at football games. If the police had the power they should have then these people would either be locked up or have respect for the laws of this land.

Unfortunately our police "service" had most of their powers stripped over the Peter Ryan years and now these thugs have no respect for the police or the laws of this nation.

ibeme

First Grade
Catatonic_Omnivore said:
Cammo,

All we can do as fans is report incidents, and potential incidents to security. Also, the club encourages fans to have their say, and pass on any information or ideas. After the Panthers game, the lax security around the kennel was reported to the club. The following week, security was stepped up and barricades were placed around the kennel.

Basically, all we can do as fans is provide information. Report what we see. And let the club know if we see any room for improvement. The club holds fan forums a couple of times per year, where these issues are discussed. They're only too happy to take ideas on board, and they take them seriously. I went along to the first fan forum, and I was surprised at how open to ideas Malcolm Noad is. How down to earth he is. And how genuinely concerned he is. The issues that were discussed in that forum were acted upon by the club.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I Love the " small minority " bit from Canterbury fans, f**k me i was going to games at Belmore in 92 & 93 and their were hundreds of these wankers back then, i haven't been to a dogs game since as it was bad enough back then, this was when the introduction of their Multi-cultural days, and a majority of their supporters back then which i encountered where bad enough for me & my friends to leave games early.

Im not suggesting that the Vast majority of Canterbury supporters are wankers but " small minority" is a load of bullsh*t, small minorities" are taken care of and flushed down the toilet like other sh*t, minorities on the other hand are hard to deal with.

Bulldogs fans are the reason why Parra stadium now has seats on the hill.

I read somewhere that these idiots "aren't really Canterbury fans"? what a load of crap they are, these idiots even travel to other grounds to stir trouble like Parra stadium, if they weren't Canterbury supporters they wouldn't waste their money on going to games....instead they would just drive around Sydney or go a night club to cause trouble.

Ps i see these idiots up here at Troppo & Largo, they cause trouble at the night clubs...and lo & behold half the time their wearing...wait for it........Canterbury Jerseys!

" Small minoritys " don't hang around for more then 15 years & year in year out cause problems for everyone.

The decent Canterbury fans like my next door neighbour i feel sorry for.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Ron Jeremy said:
I Love the " small minority " bit from Canterbury fans, f**k me i was going to games at Belmore in 92 & 93 and their were hundreds of these wankers back then, i haven't been to a dogs game since as it was bad enough back then, this was when the introduction of their Multi-cultural days, and a majority of their supporters back then which i encountered where bad enough for me & my friends to leave games early.

Aye... 99% of Lebanese give the rest a bad name.

Cammo

Bench
Ron Jeremy said:
I Love the " small minority " bit from Canterbury fans, f**k me i was going to games at Belmore in 92 & 93 and their were hundreds of these wankers back then,

Hundreds, even Thousands would still only represent around 1% of Bulldogs fans. To me 1% is most definitely a small minority.

Ron Jeremy said:

Im not suggesting that the Vast majority of Canterbury supporters are wankers but " small minority" is a load of bullsh*t, small minorities" are taken care of and flushed down the toilet like other sh*t, minorities on the other hand are hard to deal with.

Bulldogs fans are the reason why Parra stadium now has seats on the hill.

I read somewhere that these idiots "aren't really Canterbury fans"? what a load of crap they are, these idiots even travel to other grounds to stir trouble like Parra stadium, if they weren't Canterbury supporters they wouldn't waste their money on going to games....instead they would just drive around Sydney or go a night club to cause trouble.

Ps i see these idiots up here at Troppo & Largo, they cause trouble at the night clubs...and lo & behold half the time their wearing...wait for it........Canterbury Jerseys!

" Small minoritys " don't hang around for more then 15 years & year in year out cause problems for everyone.

The decent Canterbury fans like my next door neighbour i feel sorry for.

The problem is there are lots and lots and lots of these small minorities....

dodge said:
I wouldn't go as far as to say intentionally harming opposition fans, but to suggest there's never been a biffo or two, even just between two drunks, at a Storm game is ludicrous. Of course it's happened.

Furthermore, this victimisation crap has to stop. It seems it's happened to everyone here which is a load of sh*t. All I saw coming out of Telstra on Friday was a few flags flying, happy people playing drums and so on. Are you telling me there's a group or two that go around and hassle each and every one of the xxxx amount of crowd there is at every game, home or away?

Dodge mate...stop drawing a link in validating the Dogs fans behavior by comparing it to other clubs (including Melbourne)...your club has done it too many times to water this one down and I was sickened by the actions of the thugs aligned to your club...:evil: