What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OK so who DO you like?

aads

Juniors
So many of us have opinions on why we DON'T like journos/commentators - how about a thread saying who you DO like - and maybe a why?

Keep it to 1 person and no i dont want to hear who you dont like within the context of the post:

Mine would be Steve Mascord : he loves the game and tries to promote the other nations that play the game as well

neeknitsuj

Juniors
As commentators (main commentator or colour commentator)
Warren Smith
Greg Alexander
Andy Raymond
Matt Russell
Andrew Voss
Gary Belcher
Peter Sterling

Hate everyone else

Flapper

First Grade
He may be confined to the Western Weekender but Troy Dodds is someone I've almost never disagreed with in terms of general nrl writing.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Webek and the BrisTimes columnist, no muckraking just good reads. Also Mascord when he's focussing on footy, esp international footy, instead of drama.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Andrew voss >>>>>>> the rest

Matty johns show was promoting a union match tonight, wtf?

The Pelican

Juniors
Mascord and Vossy.

Both genuinely love the game and want whats best for the game before anything else, unlike most other 'journalists'.

Brutus

Referee
Voss, Mascord, Brandy, Matt Johns, Peter Tunks, Peter Psaltis, Girdler, Masters, Badge, Jimmy Smith and Joel Caine. I like Kev Walters when he's on as well. Matty Russell, Andy Raymond and Warren Smith all have good passion for the game as well.

The only good things about the ABC's coverage were Warren Ryan and Thirsty Morrow.

Sorry, can't limit it to just one.

Last edited:

ram raid

Bench
Vossy. I still like Rabbs too, even though he's past his best. Sterlo's a good journalist. Usually nails it.

Last edited:

HHH

Juniors
Phil Gould and Paul Kent

Gus usually has the games best interests at heart and PK is pretty much on the money with his articles

thorson1987

Coach
Pretty much the whole MMM NRL team (excluding Hooper, Read, Kent)

When Gould is talking about the game and not having a whinge about decisions or talking bullshit with Rabs

captainwarrior

Juniors
My favourite duo is easily Andrew Moore and Blocker Roach.

Other TV/Radio commentators I really like:

Warren Smith
Joel Caine
Andy Raymond
Rabs
Andrew Voss
Peter Sterling
Phil Gould
Ray Hadley (only on radio)
Gary Belcher
Brandy Alexander
Ryan Girdler
Darryl Brohman (but he only does sidelines)

The rest are pretty shithouse tbh.

beave

Coach
A good mate of mine Chris Kennedy has been doing weekend previews the last few years for NRL.com and late last year got offered a full time gig as a journo for them. He does the supercoach videos each week as well, he writes really well and you wouldn't find a more genuine lad who just loves the game to bits.

hutch

First Grade
Steve mascord, brad Walter, Roy masters, rugby league review journos (names escape me), journos who have a passion for the sport of rugby league, not just the nrl or their team and certainly not gossip columnists who use negative headlines for ratings and sales.

Commentators, vossy is the best, used to like graeme hughes, warren smith is good, sterlo, andy raymond, don't mind triple m's call every now and then, wendell, girdler are good for a laugh.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
As callers:

Andrew Voss
Ray Warren
Warren Smith
Joel Caine
Matt Russell

When commentating:

Greg Alexander
Peter Sterling
Jimmy Smith
Ryan Girdler
Also he only does lower grades and I think is on the ABC, but Alan Tongue goes alright IMO.

As jurnos:

Not many, but Steve Mascord is good cause of his passion, also Roy Masters.

Pretty much the whole MMM NRL team (excluding Hooper, Read, Kent)

When Gould is talking about the game and not having a whinge about decisions or talking bullshit with Rabs

Yeah Gould makes a lot of sense in the articles he writes and when he was on the Sunday Roast he was a lot less annoying and made interesting points. And he used to tell funny stories of his playing days at Penrith and Newtown.

Also as you mentioned the Triple M is far better than 2GB. I quite like listening to Matty Johns on the Sunday.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Best of all time imho Peter wilkins on the abc
Vossy is the best currently.
Rabs mind is now catching up to his eyesight in deterioration.
I used to hate Gus but then realised he loves league just like me.

Latest posts