What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OK so who DO you like?

hutch

First Grade
How could anyone like fatty? He is a simpleton who knows nothing about rugby league.

Rod

Bench
Sterlo - Intelligent and backs up his points rather than just speaking gibberish. Understands the game.
Gus - Also pretty intelligent, just takes things a bit too far on commentary sometimes, especially when he's trying too hard to be funny or arguing with Rabs.
Voss - Just a good caller, knowledgeable and passionate about the game.
Warren Smith - Good caller.
Freddy and Johns boys - None are rocket scientists but are usually good for a laugh and don't take things too seriously.
Kent - Not popular but usually makes well-reasoned arguments. Might help that I don't read his articles and mostly just watch him on 360, where he's usually pretty good.
Rabs - Don't enjoy him as much these days but still gets there on past exploits.

eozsmiles

Bench
The usual suspects - Sterlo, Vossy, Gould when not playing silly buggers.

I don't read the paper every day but Kent is probably the best newspaper writer. He just says the wrong things too often, which is a shame. He has good words and is smart, I'd like him to do a Webster and join Fairfax. I don't watch him on TV very often but probably prefer him in print.

I've always read/watched/listened to Roy Masters since I was a kid, so he gets a mention. Don't always agree but that doesn't matter.

taipan

Referee
That's him. Enjoy that magazine, good, positive articles from journos who have a passion for for the sport.

That is one of a hell of a magazine(Rugby league Review) for league freaks ,more so for International scene.Been subscribing since day one.
A passionate factual magazine for the passionate leaguies.
NB Peter Fitzsimons would not like it,he hates anything about rugby league growing overseas.

Rhyno

First Grade
Lara Pitt is the best female sports presenter and should have a full time gig on one of the fox footy shows instead of just 5 minutes

Bronco18

Juniors
There really is a dearth of talent in commentary. Nine's A-team is the best, although Rabs is starting to annoy me.
Gould pushes his old-timey rhetoric (no Gus, we're not getting contested scrums back) and his cross promotions too much (does anyone really believe you love the Voice?) but he brings a pretty unique perspective having played, coached and managed rugby league. He's probably the most articulate ex-player, and when his articles aren't Penrith propaganda pieces, they can give good insights into footy and the NRL's management. I suppose the key with him is reading past his agenda.
Vossy's my favourite caller and was great at moderating the Roast, he'd always get the best out of each panel member.
Of the journalists, Mascord, Gould, Masters and Kent stand out.
Kent isn't on the money as often as he used to be, but he's prepared to voice uncomfortable truths and break away from the News Ltd. crapola more often than others who work for the paper.
Masters is probably the best writer, and Mascord always has interesting articles.

Bronco18

Juniors
Matty Johns has improved out of sight since he's went to Fox Sports... I can almost forgive that rubbish he had on channel 7...

oikee

Juniors
They have a ton of talent coming through. Scott Prince, Mark Gasnier, Mick Ennis, Joel Cane.
They also have some garbage, Beaver and Belcher.

TheFrog

Coach
There really is a dearth of talent in commentary. Nine's A-team is the best, although Rabs is starting to annoy me.
Gould pushes his old-timey rhetoric (no Gus, we're not getting contested scrums back) and his cross promotions too much (does anyone really believe you love the Voice?)

Most people, when paid by someone to do a job, do what their employer tells them. So if you are a commentator on Channel 9 on Sunday arvo, you spruik The Voice, if you want to keep your job that is.

I've not heard Phil Gould pushing for contested scrums, and of all people, I'd expect him to be against them, since he was in the scrum and in fact was captain when John Farragher was made a quadriplegic in 1978. So he of all people knows what dangers are involved in contested scrums, especially to the tight head prop.

franklin2323

Immortal
He may be confined to the Western Weekender but Troy Dodds is someone I've almost never disagreed with in terms of general nrl writing.

Agreed. Rarely goes after the Headline but actual knowledge and love for the game

Did you read his blog on centralised staduims? Perfect insight

ucantseeme

Juniors
Best newspaper journo: Paul Kent
Best caller: Warren Smith
Best RL personality: Brad Fittler
Best player interviewee: Willie Mason

Latest posts