What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O'Keefe (Cowboys CEO) bites back fuels fire for game

Hurriflatch

Referee
'Blow in' . . . Denis Keeffe
NRL

Eels boss 'trapped in time warp'

By JAMES HOOPER

July 17, 2004

THE controversial anti-tampering deadline debate continued to simmer last night when North Queensland chief executive Denis Keeffe accused Parramatta counterpart Denis Fitzgerald of being trapped in a time warp.

Keeffe reacted after Fitzgerald put forward a proposal to alter the current system by restricting the open market negotiating period to between June 30 and August 1.

The Cowboys chief has questioned the logic of Fitzgerald's solution, highlighting how it would make little or no difference to the current system. Keeffe's comments come after Fitzgerald labelled him a "blow-in" for criticising his proposal earlier this week.

"I just had a bit of a chuckle when I read what Denis had to say," Keeffe said.

"I don't mind being called a blow-in because sometimes fresh people have some fresh ideas.

"Some of these other older officials who have been around the game for so many years appear to be trapped in a time warp.

"I'm not having a crack at [Fitzgerald] personally there, I'm having a crack at the system.

"I don't want to bag the Parramatta club, I just want to point out that this is a ludicrous situation."

Keeffe's comments will further fuel the Cowboys' clash with Parramatta in Townsville tonight.

The Cowboys chief believes the current trading frenzy in the middle of the season only upsets fans and disrupts clubs.

Keeffe was one of an overwhelming majority of chief executives who earlier this week supported a trial shift of the anti-tampering deadline to October next year.

The NRL is yet to make an announcement about whether it will trial holding the trading period in October.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Not surprising, seeing as we stole their best player from them.

But hey, newsflash Keefe - I'm a afooty fan and I think it's fine the way it is.

Morenito

Juniors
fitzgerald likes saying a few words when we are up against the team that week

example MELBOURNE!
and we end up losing

Morenito

Juniors
True i was thinking that
im hoping that because he hit back that it means NthQld will lose now ;-)

hopefully

62-0 mate ;)

but seriously, I expect a tough game, considering how our games against the cowboys have been in the last 2 years.

nevertheless, i still think we can kick away at the end and hopefully help out our differential with a 30-or-so point win

The Colonel

Immortal
Keefie just wants his name in the paper - no one knew who he was until Denis gave him a serve..... :lol: I still thought Krayem was in charge up there! :shock:

half

Coach
it's ironic after reading keeffe's comments that fitzgerald is the only one to have offered a fresh idea. you think it would've been the other way around

what a crap blow-in

bartman

Immortal
Grantwhy said:
Eelementary said:
But hey, newsflash Keefe - I'm a afooty fan and I think it's fine the way it is.
Tell that to Dennis then, he's the one who proposed the change ;-).
Huh? He proposed a "change" in opposition to the calls to change the deadline to October? More a change to remain the same, instead of the bigger change extolled by other CEOs, including your own:

"...highlighting how it would make little or no difference to the current system".

Best of luck with the tonight's game.

True EEL

Bench
good work Dennis, just keep firing other teams up just before we play them....it really worked a treat, just like it did against Melbourne????????????

beave

Coach
i dont know how u guys can stand up for fitzgerald, i am a cowboys fan yes, but deadset your CEO is a wanker!!!! He comes out and bags Keefe because he had a different idea and instead of just saying, nah i dont agree with keffes' idea, bags him big time by saying he is jus a blow in a blah blah blah, look i dont want to bag your club because it aint the way i am, but reading the posts on here, i just wanna say that if i were you guys, i wouldnt be blindly following what fitzgerald says like sheep, out of keefe and fitzy for my CEO, i know who i would rather!!! And the whole thing about you guys getting morrison and us being dirty, pffft, doesnt worry us, we have more juniors up here ready to take the spot who are just as good and at a 1/4 of the price :D , have a good one!

Beave

eelsta

Bench
beave said:
i dont know how u guys can stand up for fitzgerald, i am a cowboys fan yes, but deadset your CEO is a wanker!!!! He comes out and bags Keefe because he had a different idea and instead of just saying, nah i dont agree with keffes' idea, bags him big time by saying he is jus a blow in a blah blah blah, look i dont want to bag your club because it aint the way i am, but reading the posts on here, i just wanna say that if i were you guys, i wouldnt be blindly following what fitzgerald says like sheep, out of keefe and fitzy for my CEO, i know who i would rather!!! And the whole thing about you guys getting morrison and us being dirty, pffft, doesnt worry us, we have more juniors up here ready to take the spot who are just as good and at a 1/4 of the price :D , have a good one!
i dont know where u get the idea we like fitz hes an idiot if you know how we can rid ourselves of this fool please tell also congrats on a good win

Beave