What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Big League & Rugby League Week Magazines

bileduct

Coach
I'm helping my olds clean out their house after years and years of hoarding and I've come across a shitload of old Big League and Rugby League Week magazines going from the early 80's all the way through to at least 1997. I haven't had time to sort through all the boxes, but knowing my mum like I do I can almost guarantee it's a full uninterrupted run of issues.

Is there anyone out there that would have an interest in this stuff?

bileduct

Coach
In addition to the magazines, as my mum was a huge Balmain Tigers fan there are also about two dozen scrapbooks containing Balmain related newspaper clippings from the mid 80's up until the merge.

She also has every Balmain Tigers game that was televised during that period on VHS with all the ads cut out, as well as all of the Grand Finals, State of Origin games, Panasonic Cup games and all of the games from the Great Britain tours including against the club teams.

It's a f**king treasure trove of Rugby League.

Last edited:

thorson1987

Coach
If your looking to get rid of it all, test it out on eBay first.

Pretty sure there would be some people willing to pay a bit for it.

newman

First Grade
In addition to the magazines, as my mum was a huge Balmain Tigers fan there are also about two dozen scrapbooks containing Balmain related newspaper clippings from the mid 80's up until the merge.

She also has every Balmain Tigers game that was televised during that period on VHS with all the ads cut out, as well as all of the Grand Finals, State of Origin games, Panasonic Cup games and all of the games from the Great Britain tours including against the club teams.

It's a f**king treasure trove of Rugby League.

Don't get rid of it mate.... You'll regret it later on.

Would love to watch some of those old vids!

bileduct

Coach
Don't get rid of it mate.... You'll regret it later on.

Would love to watch some of those old vids!
Yeah after looking through this stuff I am inclined to agree with you. I am thinking of getting a converter to digitise all of these VHS tapes so I may be able to make these available to everyone. There's some amazing stuff here, I keep digging up more and more. Sevens tournaments, everything.

bileduct

Coach
keen on the cards please post some pics:sarcasm:
Yep, will do tomorrow. I've found sets of the Scanlens cards from 1987 through 1990, and I know she has ones from the years after that but they are all in boxes that I can't get at right now. The 1987 ones are pretty scuffed (there's a partial photograph on the back of them that would form a giant picture when you put them all together, which I did as a kid a few times) but the others are in perfect condition.

There were some cards that came out around the mid 90's where there was a rare card that you could send off and redeem an autographed embossed card or something like that. She reckons she has about five of those (I remember a Ricky Stuart one) but they are in one of the boxes somewhere.

bileduct

Coach
You're mum sounds bloody awesome
Heh, in the leadup to the '89 Grand Final she was actually on the news at one point because her and one of her co-workers at the Dept. of Health had decked out their bays in their respective colours. Her bay was like a full shrine decked out in black and orange, streamers hanging from the ceiling and everything. The other guy just had some green coloured folders and a Victor doll.

Rugby League has always been huge in my house, but the Wests/Balmain merge kinda killed her interest.

bileduct

Coach
if you have the big leagues from the 91 season i would be interested
Yeah, they are all there. I'll make an inventory of everything once it is all unboxed and let you know. She hasn't fully made up her mind on what to do with them all just yet. My dad was going to take them all to the dump but we stopped that from happening.

H.H

Juniors
Yep, will do tomorrow. I've found sets of the Scanlens cards from 1987 through 1990, and I know she has ones from the years after that but they are all in boxes that I can't get at right now. The 1987 ones are pretty scuffed (there's a partial photograph on the back of them that would form a giant picture when you put them all together, which I did as a kid a few times) but the others are in perfect condition.

There were some cards that came out around the mid 90's where there was a rare card that you could send off and redeem an autographed embossed card or something like that. She reckons she has about five of those (I remember a Ricky Stuart one) but they are in one of the boxes somewhere.
That was 1994 and you could get 5 "gold" cards that represented the 5 best players from the previous season. If you have the Mark Coyne gold card, please let me know.

And whatever you do, do not throw any of that stuff out. Sounds like you have some absolute gold there...monetry value aside, it's better if it goes to fans of the game than being turfed.

Danish

Referee
Heh, in the leadup to the '89 Grand Final she was actually on the news at one point because her and one of her co-workers at the Dept. of Health had decked out their bays in their respective colours. Her bay was like a full shrine decked out in black and orange, streamers hanging from the ceiling and everything. The other guy just had some green coloured folders and a Victor doll.

Rugby League has always been huge in my house, but the Wests/Balmain merge kinda killed her interest.

:lol: awesome

Having a league-crazed mother or wife makes life so much easier. MY wife absolutely LOVES the Roosters (and all sport in general) and will likely have a collection like your mum's when she is the same age.

Sad that the merge killed her interest, although understandable when someone is so obsessed with a specific team. The merge would never feel the same. Hopefully she got a bit of joy out of the 2005 win anyway.

the find of all those Big League / Rugby League Week magazines, the footy cards, VHS and the scrapbooks (of newspaper clippings).... that's bloody awesome. I would be in heaven if i found those.

As the other posters wrote - do NOT throw them away.

i now wish i've kept all of my Big League mags and footy cards (and sticker albums) from over the years instead of chucking them away. I've only kept the grand final and annual wrap up editions (aka so-called ''collectors items'') of Big League from the last few years. Not much of an overall collection compared to the main post here. lol

bileduct

Coach
Some pics. This box has Big League issues from 1986 through to 1990. Also found Volume 1 Issues 1-4 of "The Eel" magazine. My dad and sister are Parramatta Eels fans, but I turned 'em into Raiders members as well :)

2012_11_25_00_18_26.jpg

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
Stack of Rugby League Week magazine, assorted other Rugby League related mags and the scrapbooks.

2012_11_25_00_24_07.jpg

Latest posts