What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Farts Memories & Discussions

Nutz

Bench
I have a mate (yes I do have them) that played for Saints after Neil's time and he met Neil in the dunny and Neil was holding a schooner glass of beer. My mate said, whilst peeing..."hey Neil, do you want me to fill your glass up"
Neil wasn't impressed. Those of you might know of the infamous time he had done it for real.

Tigerm

Coach
I have a mate (yes I do have them) that played for Saints after Neil's time and he met Neil in the dunny and Neil was holding a schooner glass of beer. My mate said, whilst peeing..."hey Neil, do you want me to fill your glass up"
Neil wasn't impressed. Those of you might know of the infamous time he had done it for real.
Yep, ruined his footy career.

Das Hassler

Bench
@Tigerm
@Old Time Tiger
Yep I think I'm right there mate with 1976 win over the Bears. 22-7
Does that sound right Old Time Tiger?

Was there on the hill for that one...was standing among a bunch of pissed bears supporters who were yelling out to "give it to Herman!" (Hamilton)....my Irish Aussie girlfriend who was the daughter of an old school eels frontrower started repeatadly mocking them in a deep voice..." give it to herrrrmann" I thought it was going to end up getting a bit lively there for awhile! We won a few of those midweek cups in the 70's...the original entertainers!

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench

This is on the WT site, some great memories and tries.
Sorry I missed this one, thanks Tm.

The next clip will bring back some memories.
There's some commentary from some characters such as the great pommy David Boulton, cuz Peter Provan, Leo Nosworthy, Sid Williams and more.
Our family were watching the game on the TV in the lounge room and it was relatively quiet at first because we all thought the great South Sydney Rabbitohs were going to smash us. They had a team full of internationals and we had only a couple, the rest of our lads were pups.
All of a sudden Williams dived over to score a try and my christian, normally reserved mother, yelled out "shite we scored"
Well the party started because we were in front....the rest is history as they say. [I wonder if dad ever found out that 2 of his beers were missing]

Nutz

Bench
SmartSelect_20240130-210708_DuckDuckGo.jpg
The old C3 pay phone first hit the street corners in 1970. We had a convenient phone box outside our house. We often had people asking us if they could use our home phone in an emergency.
Picsart_24-01-30_21-18-10-444.jpg
I can vaguely remember this one when I was about 6. Instead there was a winding wheel that alerted the operator then when you were connected to the person your calling you would press button B.....help!

Das Hassler

Bench
Sorry I missed this one, thanks Tm.

The next clip will bring back some memories.
There's some commentary from some characters such as the great pommy David Boulton, cuz Peter Provan, Leo Nosworthy, Sid Williams and more.
Our family were watching the game on the TV in the lounge room and it was relatively quiet at first because we all thought the great South Sydney Rabbitohs were going to smash us. They had a team full of internationals and we had only a couple, the rest of our lads were pups.
All of a sudden Williams dived over to score a try and my christian, normally reserved mother, yelled out "shite we scored"
Well the party started because we were in front....the rest is history as they say. [I wonder if dad ever found out that 2 of his beers were missing]

Quite surreal rewatching the game....my school friend and I were pretty much right under the main camera position and I still remember the feeling ...before halftime.. when it was becoming a reality that we had them rattled and were going to win it

Nutz

Bench
Quite surreal rewatching the game....my school friend and I were pretty much right under the main camera position and I still remember the feeling ...before halftime.. when it was becoming a reality that we had them rattled and were going to win it
I remember you saying you were there....so jealous. It certainly was surreal hey.
You were probably like me feeling on top of the world for months.
The biggest regret in my whole life was I never got to really know Pete.
I had just broken my ankle in a footy game so I couldn't even go to his funeral after Pete lost his battle to Parkinson's Disease
I did say hello to Pete a few times though before his passing which I'll cherish.
Norm was really close to my dad, often having a pony together talking about the old days.
Dad did all of Norm's first discount store's electrical wiring and fittings.

Das Hassler

Bench
I remember you saying you were there....so jealous. It certainly was surreal hey.
You were probably like me feeling on top of the world for months.
The biggest regret in my whole life was I never got to really know Pete.
I had just broken my ankle in a footy game so I couldn't even go to his funeral after Pete lost his battle to Parkinson's Disease
I did say hello to Pete a few times though before his passing which I'll cherish.
Norm was really close to my dad, often having a pony together talking about the old days.
Dad did all of Norm's first discount store's electrical wiring and fittings.

I'd say they played for Peter Provan that day...as far as inspiring leaders go he was the Tigers Johnny Sattler...as you know well it was his retiring game....what a way to go out!

Nutz

Bench
Norm Proven, ffs there’s a legend of a bloke.

They said he was a better man than he was a player.

If I could meet passed away players, he’d be in my top 5.

Ffs Nutz, you should be a mod.

Two of my sisters went to north Sydney girls.
No way, wow...Is the girls school still there?
Was Crow's Nest Boys H.S. still standing when your sisters went to N.S.G.H.S.

Nutz

Bench
I'd say they played for Peter Provan that day...as far as inspiring leaders go he was the Tigers Johnny Sattler...as you know well it was his retiring game....what a way to go out!
Both brothers were very quiet and not forcing a conversation. Just before Norm died I spoke to him and he had the softest voice.
BUT when he talked and this is the same for all of his family, they were listen too.
Marj, Rupert, Joan, Norm, Pete, Ian, Esme, Donald. All great people.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
glebe_1908-1965531422.jpg

1f2591ec18351c3d52a102886fe32b89-380948224.jpg
Glebe was the first Rugby League club formed in Australia, having their inaugural meeting on January 9, 1908.

cumberland_1908.jpg
6e0abc60-b45c-443a-a10a-bd1926db2e8b_1600x1100.jpg
Cumberland, officially known as "Central Cumberland", were formed on the evening of April 20, 1908

Balmain_Tigers_Jersey_1908-01-480x502.png
Balmain Rugby League Club was born at a public meeting held at Balmain Town Hall in Darling Street, on January 23, 1908.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
@Tiger Ted
@Old Time Tiger
@Tigerm

Does anyone else know why Balmain's first game of rugby league was on the 20th April 1908 against the Magpies when Balmain wasn't formed till the 23 April 1908?
Also why a Monday? Can't be because of early Easter holiday or later ANZAC Da?

Tigerm

Coach
@Tiger Ted
@Old Time Tiger
@Tigerm

Does anyone else know why Balmain's first game of rugby league was on the 20th April 1908 against the Magpies when Balmain wasn't formed till the 23 April 1908?
Also why a Monday? Can't be because of early Easter holiday or later ANZAC Da?
Pre season trial
The boys were out on the grog on the weekend
Public holiday would bring the crowds

Otherwise I don’t know hahahaha

Latest posts