What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Farts Memories & Discussions

Nutz

Bench
Coke
Pogo stick, never could ride those f**king skate boards, they were to small, when the big ones came I was too old.
Holden, till I realised I didn’t give a f**k either way hahaha
You just passed your psychological assessment....as long as you don't prefer the Totem Pole over the Pogo Stick :)

Nutz

Bench
Hands up if you put a cricket ball in a stocking and tied it to the clothesline for cricket batting practice?

Nutz

Bench
81e5e6738783725a1ffae17d9e98f0a1.jpg
The mullets win! :D

Help me out boys.
I recognise Steve O'Brien standing next to Kevin Hardwick and Gary Freeman in 1989? Of course the coach is Warren Ryan.
Ginger Mick Neil is obvious (the gutsiest little half I've ever seen play....biased)
James Grant far left was a great little player too but I'm having trouble with the guy next to him, possibly Matt Parish....is that right?

Last edited:

Tigerm

Coach
View attachment 81716
The mullets win! :D

Help me out boys.
I recognise Steve O'Brien standing next to Kevin Hardwick and Gary Freeman in 1989? Of course the coach is Warren Ryan.
Ginger Mick Neil is obvious (the gutsiest little half I've ever seen play....biased)
James Grant far left was a great little player too but I'm having trouble with the guy next to him, possibly Matt Parish....is that right?
Yep. I think Matt has only just finished coaching Samoa recently.

Tigerm

Coach
We certainly had players with character in those days, Western Suburbs as well with Tommy and co.
I wouldn't swap our joint venture with any other team. Wests Tigers has grown on me.
Now all we have to do to seal the marriage is win again.
From memory, the eels were courting us to go with them, would have been a disaster for us, imo.
The parramatta tigers just doesn’t have a vibe to it, does it hahaha

axl rose

Bench
Yes the Eels just wanted the Tigers brand logo, it wasn't a joint venture proposal, a takeover.

Some greats in that photo. The Wiz was a great little player and when he was on fox always supported the tigers. Alan Jones cut him and signed a rah rah Brian Smith. Freeman then won dally m half back of the year at Easts in 92.🫣

Tiger Ted

Bench
Yes the Eels just wanted the Tigers brand logo, it wasn't a joint venture proposal, a takeover.

Some greats in that photo. The Wiz was a great little player and when he was on fox always supported the tigers. Alan Jones cut him and signed a rah rah Brian Smith. Freeman then won dally m half back of the year at Easts in 92.🫣

I was a massive fan of the Wiz.Tough little bugger who like the peerless jimmy Jack played with no self preservation.Only the clueless parrot would replace the machismo wiz with an effeminate rah rah

Tiger Ted

Bench
View attachment 81799
Late 70’s city team. That’s an Australian team, right there, I pity the poor country side .
With the black flash, what a player.
Noel Maybury what a player.I idolised him.He was as tough as they come a pyrmont colts junior who I think busted the same arm 3 times which cut short his career.
4 Balmain players in that exceptional city team.Maybury plus another Balmain junior in Ian Thomson the stupendous Macca & the scintillating Corowa.

Das Hassler

Bench
Noel Maybury what a player.I idolised him.He was as tough as they come a pyrmont colts junior who I think busted the same arm 3 times which cut short his career.
4 Balmain players in that exceptional city team.Maybury plus another Balmain junior in Ian Thomson the stupendous Macca & the scintillating Corowa.

You might remember that straight after Peter Boulton's time was up we ( Balmain) had Noel Maybury and Arthur Mountier sharing the hooking duties before Neil Wittaker then Elias came along...both Maybury and Mountier were as old school tough as they came...I do remember Marbury playing with a cast on his arm

Tiger Ted

Bench
You might remember that straight after Peter Boulton's time was up we ( Balmain) had Noel Maybury and Arthur Mountier sharing the hooking duties before Neil Wittaker then Elias came along...both Maybury and Mountier were as old school tough as they came...I do remember Marbury playing with a cast on his arm
We were certainly spoilt for choice in the hooking department in the 70’s & 80’s although the 2 standouts during their respective eras were Maybury(albeit a shortened career due to the 3 broken arms) & Elias.Also Das i know Boulton was a Balmain great but too young at the time of his career to remember him.

Das Hassler

Bench
'69 our regular hooker was John Crawford...Peter Boulton only played half a game in first grade in that final against Manly then was handed the reigns for the GF and he outplayed Elwyn Walters....leastways he won crucial scrums against the feed and loose head and absorbed all the rightly feared Souths forwards threw at him. Having a rookie hooker....losing Artie through suspension and surprisingly dropping Paul Cross who was a tryscoring / try creating freak and no surprise that Souths came out over confident

Nutz

Bench
The Tigers and Magpies have featured a fair bit on foxtel rewind games of 2005 onwards.
We had some good players in those days.
It's been great viewing.