What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Farts Memories & Discussions

For those who remember Trevor Ryan and for those too young, here's a history lesson.

Tigerm

Coach

For those who remember Trevor Ryan and for those too young, here's a history lesson.
Great post, OTT, thanks.

Das Hassler

Bench

Remember him and the others mentioned very well...much appreciated...very good interview !

Nutz

Bench

Great read, thanks OTT.

Nutz

Bench

Gee there are some memories in this article.
I forgot so many. Have to do the same for our Magpie ol faithfuls too.
I didn't realise that Brian Lockwood played over 440 top-level games in a 19-year career as well as 19 Tests for England and Great Britain. Legend!

Tiger Ted

Bench

I idolised TR & approx 12 yrs ago used to see him working with ryde council with the road maintenance crew.I decided to pull up 1 day & have a chat with him & told him how much I enjoyed watching him as a kid.He was a robust centre turned 2nd rower & was our captain for a while.TR & the precocious Geoff Starling were a stupendous centre pairing.I will never 4get when manly were very formidable & a title contender & Balmain upset them due to starling & Ryan having blinders & outplaying Fulton & brannigan.

Tiger Ted

Bench
A Toe poker from Port Talbot, Wales.
You don't get to be named Golden Boots for nothing hey.
Can you remember after his playing days he became a referee and later co-commentated on the Amco Cup on Network Ten with Ray Warren in the 1970s. I loved those comps, Balmain were pretty successful in them.
I remember Barnes’s frequent use of the word invariably during commentary of the Armco cup

I loved the moose, reg, boland, the bear, Hollywood, Zorba and Eastlake.

Frank did a great job on 2SM.

The media experience was better without the recent ex players crapping on like they’ve never played.

Joey has cow dung between his ears.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench

This is the Australia I was born and bred in and yearn for everyday.
Let's not forget the sweat from hard yakka of our country folk.
I can't wait to see the theatre performance next year at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre.

I remember Sterlo screaming that a player should have caught the ball.

I said to myself that if he a was an agile gopher with long claws he stood a chance.

Bomber McRae (ex south’s coach) was pretty good on the abc for awhile.

For TV commentators there’s not much point describing the conduct of players because we can see it.

And too often they comment on post event themes that we can all see.

They are better off analysing and telling us how the teams are approaching the game, especially the attack.

Theres no place to hide in the game.

No one mentioned Nate’s missed tackles in the gf which were a major reason why they were far behind.

And if you win by a couple a points, every try and goal is critical.

Kennys was my favourite try, he was on some kind of recon duty out the front there, looking to defend but found himself with the ball and scurried over.

Great eyes up footy even he looked surprised.

No video refs, 400 touchies and 87 replays of every f**king thing that happens in the lead up to a try. Just lots of ball movement and free flowing footy. We took for granted how good footy was then, especially when you compare to it now .
Las Vegas is going to introduce the game to the US and no one will play grid iron ever again.

#bears dancing on barrels per @Das Hassler

Das Hassler

Bench

Gee there are some memories in this article.
I forgot so many. Have to do the same for our Magpie ol faithfuls too.
I didn't realise that Brian Lockwood played over 440 top-level games in a 19-year career as well as 19 Tests for England and Great Britain. Legend!

Brian Lockwood and Neil Pringle formed a crafty partnership in the middle ...they created some unbelievable attacking football

Nutz

Bench
Confucius once said, a person suffers from serious psychological issues if they prefer....
* A Fanta Yo-Yo over Coca~Cola Yo-Yo
* A Pogo Stick over a skateboard and
* A Ford over a Holden

Tigerm

Coach
Confucius once said, a person suffers from serious psychological issues if they prefer....
* A Fanta Yo-Yo over Coca~Cola Yo-Yo
* A Pogo Stick over a skateboard and
* A Ford over a Holden
Coke
Pogo stick, never could ride those f**king skate boards, they were to small, when the big ones came I was too old.
Holden, till I realised I didn’t give a f**k either way hahaha

Last edited:

Latest posts